• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 compressor rewire to single phase question

Skinny

Awhile back I rewired my genset to 120/240 and put a standard NEMA L14-30R outlet officially taking the ol' M1031 from commercial grade to civilian duties. My welder is gone (M38inMaine hopefully keeping it busy) and the air compressor has been sitting unused due to the 3 phase 208v motor being incompatible. So I'm trying to get that portion back in service. The M1031 comes with a Baldor 35S69-1342-MOO which is a 2 HP 1735 rpm 145T frame motor. A pretty rugged and heavy beast but I was quoted about $350-400 to rewind it with a very limited warranty.

This compressor will at most be running some air tools and tire chuck for regular service and airing up tires, nothing long term continuous use. The replacement Baldor L1322T which is compatible with my voltage will set me back $440 plus freight. YIKES!

Anyone with extensive electric motor knowledge, would this motor be a suitable replacement?

The Marathon Electric® Farm Duty/Shop Motor has the power to get the job done.
  • Gexpro cat# GEX31531
  • 1-1/2 HP
  • 1,800 RPM
  • 115/208-230V
  • Fl amps: 15.2/7.6
  • 145T frame
  • 7/8 shaft size
  • Single phase TEFC farm duty motor
  • Ball bearings
  • Shaft end mechanically locked on c-face models
  • 1.15 service factor
  • Capacitor start/capacitor run design for higher efficiency
  • Heavy-duty start/ run capacitors
  • Bi-directional rotation
  • Applications include: Conveyors, table saws, augers, barn cleaners, silo unloaders, dairy & poultry equipment, blowers
  • 1 year limited warranty

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/marathon-electricreg;-1-1-2hp-farm-duty-shop-motor-1740-rpm

Also, I do have the original motor which worked before I disconnected it now doing nothing. Anyone going to the GA rallye or local that needs a replacment...PM me.

Skinny

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hp rating needs to be the same or you will have to reduce the motor pulley dia and will take longer to make air. Check Grainger for this motor.

Keith_J

This one seems like a good match:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...5-230-VAC-145TC-TEFC-LEESON-MOTOR-10-2702.axd

Not a bad deal at $265 plus $35 to ship.

This guy has a manual overload switch:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...FC-LEESON-MOTOR-W-MANUAL-OVERLOAD-10-2708.axd

I'm assuming that would be a worthwhile feature to have? The OEM Baldor has a thermal switch that is wired into the contactor that neither of those motors would be able to utilize as a feature.
Both have service factor of 1, they should be fine in all conditions you would be comfortable working in. The second motor would require a manual reset, the reason the stock motor uses remote thermal overload is because it is three phase and all three phases have to be interrupted. With single phase 240 volt, just one leg needs interruption so a single pole, single throw thermal switch is needed. Now they make triple pole, single throw thermal switches but they won't fit into a motor housing, easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks