• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Contact

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if Carnac can do much with this one?

brianrbull

oops

I goofed kinda found the answer to my question and didnt mean to post but couldnt figgure out how do remove it.
I guess I will post my original question .
I recently bought a M1031 contact with the PTO Gennie it produces power fine but the governor dosent work. I am assuming that the gov is bad. does anyone know where parts can be sourced for these? The control panel shows 95 hours on it. I dont have any pics as I am back in Afghanistan and accidentally deleted my photos while in Thailand... I could post those but might violate some rules......

Brian

m38inmaine

There are several parts that make up the system, actuator, ramp generator, speed control, relay, governor control, magnetic pickup, etc. This company Woodward DYN Generator Controls appears to have taken over from the original supplier of the parts. You will need to troubleshoot your system to see which part is bad. Could be a simple wiring issue. Two SS members here had bad magnetic pickups go bad and cured the problem.

junkridge

Is there a standard format for troubleshooting this system? mine was working but had to be rest and tap on the black box under the metal shield. gen set has 19hrs showing and looks new but has gone inop.... I got the TM but it skips any testing formats on the system.

junkridge

Thanks, I have that manual but it doesn't contain the infomation need to perform test required to diagnoise the control panels. I think I know which one is bad but thinking and knowing are two different things!! LOL thanks for your time

junkridge

Symptoms are governor control will not send signal to acuator on engine... was working but was "hunting" the correct rpm. found chaffed wire on thermostat housing made the repair and pushed reset control on panel and is started working as designed. Next day went to use gen set and when switch was flipped no change in rpms went back to reset and pushed again it worked.. later in the day tried it again engine reved up and down a few times then went back to idle so i tried to reset nothing happed so I tapped on black control box that houses rest button and it started working again. next day nothing I do will make it work I have checked both fuses and I am making sure I operate it correct per the operator manual ( trans case in N ,pto enguaged light is on, shifter in drive then flip governor switch)
the truck only shows 16k mikes and gen set has 19hrs all looks as new as new could be in 1986.
I'm unsure how to check signal to controls and or where voltage should be..???

lavarok

The reset switch is on the overspeed control box. You need to read the TM to readjust the overspeed control. If that doesnt solve the problem, you can run the system without it.

The manual linked above does provide you install and test out procedures for the main gov system. The ramp generator and over speed are addons which are not required for the system to work. They have their purpose and make the system safer, but it can be used without them.

Justin2839

It sounds like you are figuring it out, but to clarify, The over speed control just turns on and off power to pin 1 of the governor control, if you have power to pin 1 than the over speed control is not the problem and you need to follow the trouble shooting procedures the linked manual. (also note pin 2 is ground) In my opinion with the intermittences of the problem and the fact that it has tripped the over speed (presumably without actually over speeding) I would be looking hard at the magnetic pick up in the PTO, that is a common source of all kinds of problems. In case you didn’t know they are available from Muncie, I just replaced mine and the cost was about 80 dollars.
Hope you figure it out, Justin

junkridge

Well, after afew hours of testing and lots of info from the SS Family My system is up and running, what I found was the power from switch was going to the over speed control as designed but not goining thru the unit to power the controller and or the generator ramp. I did a fused overlay from K to J to bypass internal issue with board inside the overspeed controller, it's working now flawlessly at this time. Now I can go back to getting the truck serviced and ready to use. I thank each and everyone who has took their time to post me some info as I used it to repair my issues.
I attached a photo of the overlay in case someone else has this issue.
Kevin

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks