• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 conversion - fuel fill issue

bshupe

Has anyone who has converted a 1031 come up with a brilliant solution for the fuel filler neck?

On mine, I have come up with these specific issues:

- The fuel filler hose is longer than it needs to be by about 2"+
- The angle of the filler neck metal portion is the wrong angle to allow fuel to easily flow into the tank.
- The path from the filler door on the civi bed is only slightly higher than the inlet on the tank. Basically only enough rise to accommodate the elbow in the hose where it turns down to the tank.

So far I have tried to overcome these issues by shortening the hose part and turning the metal section upside down and only fastening with the two side holes. The end result is a very flat fill path and Im not sure it would sustain the full volume of a standard fuel pump without driving the back wheel up onto a block or something.

Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Skinny

I'm not sure what you are converting the M1031 to but I would like to add another saddle tank. I think I'm going to weld a filler neck at the top at an angle. Hope it works. You can buy kits online that have a cnc'd threaded piece to weld in with a cap.

bshupe

Sorry, converting to 1008 (sort of).

The distance from the contact box mounting location of the fill neck to the fuel tank inlet is greater than the distance from the fleetside bed mounting location.

I had to modify the hose and the metal leader at the top to make it work. I also want to add a tank to the other side but since I would be buying a new/used fill neck from a civi I dont think it will be an issue for that particular project.

Thanks for taking a minute to read and comment.

wayne pick

I think using the fill hose from a fleetside pickup bed will solve the geometry problem. The vent tube cannot be deleted or blocked off. LMC truck has the fill neck for gasser trucks from that era that will work for the pass side. They don't have the flapper door in them. They are pricy though. Im thinking of adding a pass side tank also. I had the same problem with my 1031 with a flatbed conversion. The fill hose was too flat. I had to listen for the fuel reaching the top of the tank and slow down filling otherwise it would belch out and make a mess.

Dumpster Diver

I converted my 1031 to a pickup bed. fuel fill isn't ideal. i definately take it slow at the pump. imagree with the sweet spot on the angle of the pump, sure makes the differance.

bshupe

I kept the vent intact buy rotating it to the front side rather than the back. The vent tube had enough slop in it to do that without any problems. I think filling it up slowly will just be the way I need to do it since even switching out the filler neck wont change the problem of the gas door on the bed being about the same elevation as the inlet on the tank.

TVGUY: are you going to add the passenger side tank to yours? And, whats this business about H1 wheels with no spacers?

EDIT: Never mind about the spacers. I see that you changed out the axles. lol

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks