• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Help

Can one of you guru's tell me if the generator and compressor look complete? I know these are bad pics but it's all I have to look at right now. I have seen other M1031's on here and the generator looks like it goes across the whole length of the bed. The seller says both the generator and compressor work. I'm trying to learn as much about these vehicles as I can.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349491534.115310.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349491549.822813.jpg

jdknech

from the pics posted- they look complete.. that has the PTO generator, the one that "goes across the bed" would be a gas/diesel generator.. the one i have is a PTO type, and its AWESOME!! :D

Matt1031

Looks like it's mostly all there and ready to go to work. Can't see an air hose coupling coming off the air tank/air drier, but no big deal - it's only $3 part.

One thing noticeably absent in your pic is the horizontal O2 bottle rack (would be located directly over Gen head) but not all M1031's had them. Apparently EOD just wanted the trucks for the generator capability - No need for a torch, so no need for a cylinder rack, hence the bottle rack wasn't installed.

1031's come in two basic flavors:
Earlier 1031's used a gas engine powered welder (which did take up the whole front of the box). Supposedly the early SECM bodies were either leftover inventory or take-off bodies from the old M887 Dodges.

Later 1031's used a PTO driven gen head that *sometimes* (depending on what kind of unit it was issued to) also powered a Miller 3 phase arc welder. To the casual observer, the rear body looks the same, but the doors are slightly different from the earlier SECM bodies.

I have the later type, like the one you have pictured. The ID tag on my body says it was inspected (read as "accepted by Uncle Sam and installed on the chassis") in '89, but the VIN indicates the chassis was built by GM in '86. God only knows what the truck was doing for the time in-between. I don't know whether it was driving around with an old 887 body and it was later swapped during Depot Maintenance, or the Army just decided to a keep a "new" '86 cab and chassis truck waiting around for a bed for three years.

Thanks for the information gentleman. That gives me some more information to look at. Do either of you have the TM for the box part of the M1031? I was told there are 2 manuals and that I need to have them emailed to me from another SS Member.

Keith_J

My M1031 SECM also has the chassis date of 6-86 while the work bed is 6-89. In the glove compartment, there was a form from GM stating the warranty start was delayed for a year as the chassis was in storage at Flint MI.

The issue as I remember from my active duty days was the governor system. Testing revealed the governor could overshoot on heavy loads when the transmission would shift from second to third gear. The solution was a ramp generator.

If you have the TM was not released until long after. 1994, IIRC.