• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 On a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4

niferous

So I recently bought a used Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab with the 5.9 Cummins and NV4500 transmission. The last owner was an older gentleman who drove the truck very easy. It does, however, have a lot of dents on the bed. I was looking at beds but didnt really want another regular bed on there as they are getting a little harder to find. I looked at flat beds but don't like the idea of not having a good spot to stick tools.

So this morning I had the thought; why not a M1031 bed? I have always liked the design and the idea of a mobile work shop and when it comes to tools and going to a job site I'm a gear hog. I've even done some research and looked at small solar panels for my cordless tools and lights as well as a crane on the back. I also like the fact that it still has room in the back for cargo and if I need more I can always haul my trailer.

So my first question is will it fit on my existing truck frame? Is the PTO driven generator worth purchasing or should I look into maybe a mobile welding/generator set-up? I have found kits on the Internet for a PTO system for my truck and my truck has the snow plow prep package so according to the guy at the dealership it's not hard to add a PTO. Finally has anyone ever put some kind of rollaway tool box in their M1031 "cabinets"? I would take the wheels off of course and just use it for a place to store hand tools.

I'm thinking do some mods to the bed, spray in bed liner the underside, and inside, and then having it painted white to match my truck.

So any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use the older bed that was equipped with the gas welder. Scrap that welder and install a bobcat or trailblazer. There is a compartment for a drawered tool box on the right and I found 2 middle boxes from Lowes that fit perfectly. It's a darned good box.

Darwin T

it should fit because my M1028a2/3 has a dodge box mounted on it. the gobernment drilled some extra holes and mounted there extra dodge beds on chevy trucks. i have a pto genset to install on my truck but i am going to have to do some fab work to get it to work. the m1031 boxes go almost straight forwards from the tires where the dodge ones drop down infront of the tires. i also have a gas small generator that i will be carrying when i get to that project. i don't know how to weld so i am not adding any of that stuff. i may add the air compressor for an M1031 if i can find one.

Attachments

Last edited:

niferous

Well that's good and I figured it would probably fit.

Now where the heck can I buy one?!?! Yes I already checked the classifieds on here.

Darwin T

i did see a dodge one like mine for sale in the last 2 or 3 weeks. i will go back and see if i can find it for you. if i do i will PM you.

Last edited:

Taz

I sent you a PM. I have several beds and most of the parts left over from past projects. Located in SW Wyoming...
Gary

MatthewH

Well that's good and I figured it would probably fit.

Now where the heck can I buy one?!?! Yes I already checked the classifieds on here.

I have the same idea you have, using a newer dodge cummins truck, and have the bed from my M887 off the truck sitting on a trailer. If you would take the following measurements, I'll measure my box and see if it will fit your frame.

Width of frame by the cab
Width of frame by the rear bumper
Length of frame from back of cab to end of frame
Length from back of cab to the center of the rear axle.

Thanks

MatthewH

OK, I went am measured my M887 box to help give you a better idea if it will fit or not,

Where the frame runs under the box, is 50 1/4" wide inside to inside.
From the very front of the box to the center of the axle opening is 52 1/2"
The wheel opening is 44" long, and fits a 37" HMMWV tire nicely
The box itself is roughly 83 1/2" wide and 94 3/4" long, outside dim

Hope these dims help, if you would like any more, just let me know.

Keep us updated, as I would like to know how this works out for you.

wsucougarx

Hmm, great idea! I have a 2001 Cummin with a High Output Cummins married to a 6 speed NV5600. I love it!!! Oops sorry, now to get back on track....[thumbzup]

acmunro

1997 Dodge

Pics of a 1997 Dodge CTD with a SECM bed. The truck was a Dually I converted to single wheel and installed the bed. It was easy as pie to put on. Had to make one adapter out of angle to bridge the 2nd and third cross members on the bed. All others I just drilled the bed where the holes are in the truck frame.

Attachments

jdeoliveira74

it should fit because my M1028a2/3 has a dodge box mounted on it. the gobernment drilled some extra holes and mounted there extra dodge beds on chevy trucks. i have a pto genset to install on my truck but i am going to have to do some fab work to get it to work. the m1031 boxes go almost straight forwards from the tires where the dodge ones drop down infront of the tires. i also have a gas small generator that i will be carrying when i get to that project. i don't know how to weld so i am not adding any of that stuff. i may add the air compressor for an M1031 if i can find one.
I need one of those.. the whole truck not just the box

MatthewH

Pics of a 1997 Dodge CTD with a SECM bed. The truck was a Dually I converted to single wheel and installed the bed. It was easy as pie to put on. Had to make one adapter out of angle to bridge the 2nd and third cross members on the bed. All others I just drilled the bed where the holes are in the truck frame.
Looks very nice. Wondered how well one of those boxes would fit on a second gen dodge diesel. Now I have a new project in mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks