• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 PTO Governor Control - Factory Technical Manual

lavarok

Fellow PTO M1031 owners....today I was working on my gov system and with a little googling found the manufacturer tech manual for both the governor control and the actuator! Google "dyna 8000 install" and you will find the same manual I have attached here.

Also, an interesting tidbit: to verify your PTO MPU ( mag pickup ), use a multimeter to test resistance. Spec is 150 OHM.

I thought my mag pickup was toast, but it turns out the problem with my setup was a jumper wire some knuckle head installed from the overspeed control to the + actuator circuit. Very very odd as it worked 3 or 4 times, but after and since would run flat out whenever I engaged the gov circuit. Seems the wire jump may have fried the actual control of the overspeed as I can adjust the S1 potentiometer all day and it never kills the gov circuit.

Oh well, every other safety switch was previously removed and bypassed so what is wrong with ANOTHER failsafe being removed....kidding....

I am going to try swapping in an overspeed switch from my other M1031 and if that fails, I'll add a second switch to the gov circuit to prevent accidentally turning it on. Manual failsafe is better than no failsafe.

Without the jumper wire the system is now working flawlessly. The system ramps up within 10-12 secs per spec and sits at 60HZ without fail. I am looking for a manual or tech spec on the overspeed control as well as the ramp generator.

Those are the two items not covered by the attached manual. While neither are required for operation, they both provide valuable functions. The ramp generator slowly increases the voltage of the actuator circuit so it can slowly ramp up to the required RPM.

The overspeed control monitors RPM via the MPU and is supposed to kill power to the gov circuit when the RPMs exceed a value as dialed in via the S1 potentiometer. It is a failsafe to prevent engine failure due to excessive RPMs.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Crash_AF

That's awesome... thanks for the link. I'll add it to the other 1031 SECM manuals that I have.

And of course, if anyone needs the TMs for the 1031 SECM body, just drop me a PM with your email address. I have the SECM -13 and 23P, generator and PTO manuals in addition to this Governor manual now.

Later,
Joe

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great info thanks! I would like to add my 2cents to this, I have two of these trucks and on both, the generator wires were touching the exhaust pipe and the insulation was melted through, causing a short. I think faulty installation of the wiring on these trucks is the cause of the inevitable problems everyone had/has with the generator governor.

48cj2a

what is the market llike for the complete box/bed w/ gen and compressor?

looking at a m1028a1 w/box this weekend.

whats a 76k miles non-running truck worth ?

Crash_AF

The complete truck price would depend on the condition of the rest of the truck (rust, etc) and the completeness of the powertrain. Is it non-running because the engine is blown or non-running because that's how it came from GL (dead batts, etc)

I've seen them go from $1500-4000 depending on completeness, condition, and whether it's straight from GL or titled from private party.

If you do end up getting the truck and parting the SECM stuff out, I need the governor actuator and mount from under the hood along with any wiring for it. PM me if interested.

Later,
Joe

junkridge

Great info thanks! I would like to add my 2cents to this, I have two of these trucks and on both, the generator wires were touching the exhaust pipe and the insulation was melted through, causing a short. I think faulty installation of the wiring on these trucks is the cause of the inevitable problems everyone had/has with the generator governor.

I found that the harness going to engine contoller was pulled tight against the upper Thermostat housing bolt head and had rubbed almost into as well..

Keith_J

Excellent! The generator on my M1031 SECM worked fine, frequency was a bit low so I brought it up adjusting the pot. But droop was severe, going from 61 Hz unladen to 56 Hz with the compressor engaged. The droop adjustment was a mid span, it needs to be maximum counterclockwise for isochronous (constant RPM) function.

The generator has 1.4 hours on it so I know there was little use on it. This and the storage is why I got it, My welder is easily powered with it.

Edit to add: Droop control didn't impact a single thing. I read the ramp generator function again and it makes sense. Might be too low of a slope on the ramp function. Right now, unladen frequency us 60.5 Hz, with just the compressor as the load, frequency drops to 55 Hz. I'm measuring frequency off the output using a digital multimeter.

Last edited:

sebaeb

Speaking of M1031's...i need the fuel filler neck and mount , its the rubber lines from tank to bed,cant seem to find one....would like to get mine running!....thanks

bimota

A Steelsoldier posted governor upgrade instructions and now I can't find them - I have to use Google to search SS - new search tools needed. Anyone know where that link on governor upgrades is?

Jayatnwvfd

good afternoon! I am Jay from Bexar County Emergency Scene Rehab. in San Antonio TX. We have just acquired a 1986 m1031 with generator and compressor. We are trying to learn {with little success) how to engage our PTO without killing engine. We put T-case in Neutral, trans in neutral, Pulled PTO handle out and engine dies. Is there any chance we can get copies of your manuals to assist in diagnostics and proper ops? Thanks in advance and please excuse my lack of knowledge in forums as this is the first time ive used one! Feel free to email me at jayatnwvfd@yahoo.com Thanks!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just upload the TMs to the CUCV or Generator Technical Manuals section so all can use.

Keith_J

The TMs have not been released to the public as one variant of the M1031 is the EOD variant with restricted radio equipment installation.

On a side note, the governor on mine is now working properly. The throttle actuator had been installed incorrectly so it couldn't open the throttle sufficiently to maintain RPM under load. I pulled the bellcrank off the actuator shaft and gave it three notches of extra authority. Now it holds 60 Hz with 8kW 3 phase resistive load and the compressor.

dependable

The TMs have not been released to the public as one variant of the M1031 is the EOD variant with restricted radio equipment installation.
I figured they just never got around to un restricting them, as there were relatively few 1031s made. I don't see any reference to the radio equipment in them. But the commercial manuals for the governor, its control and the PTO do cover most of the needed info.

Keith_J

Another reason for the non release is this vehicle was only in US Army service while all others were DoD. Several requests have been made through FOIA channels.

The Woodward manuals are public release. But they are more general and one has to study the systems to correct install issues. The install on my SECM was botched, it only had 1 hour of run time when I purchased the vehicle.

Last edited:

rossbart

That's awesome... thanks for the link. I'll add it to the other 1031 SECM manuals that I have.

And of course, if anyone needs the TMs for the 1031 SECM body, just drop me a PM with your email address. I have the SECM -13 and 23P, generator and PTO manuals in addition to this Governor manual now.

Later,
Joe

Later,
Joe
I realize this is an old post, but just bought a nice low miles / low hours M1031 and having trouble getting the governor to work. If you could email me the TMs that would be so helpful. My email is rossbartling@yahoo.com.
😊

Reactions: rtk

rossbart

Later,
Joe
Realize this is a very old post, but if anyone is still out there with the TMs for a 1031 SECM I’m in serious need of them. Purchased a near mint 1031 with a fresh 6.5. The governor worked couple times after I bought it but now is not. Everything looks ok inside the control box. But, without some TMs I’m nearing my whits end on how to get her going as a farm service truck.
Have 14v to and through the fuzes to the relay. PTO light comes on when engaged. Generator is spinning fine mechanically. All safety switches are visually and tactility adjusted correctly. Relay clicks when I flip the dash toggle switch up. But, governor actuator doesn’t do anything?
Anybody out there that could email me the needed TMs?
Thanks,
Ross

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Realize this is a very old post, but if anyone is still out there with the TMs for a 1031 SECM I’m in serious need of them. Purchased a near mint 1031 with a fresh 6.5. The governor worked couple times after I bought it but now is not. Everything looks ok inside the control box. But, without some TMs I’m nearing my whits end on how to get her going as a farm service truck.
Have 14v to and through the fuzes to the relay. PTO light comes on when engaged. Generator is spinning fine mechanically. All safety switches are visually and tactility adjusted correctly. Relay clicks when I flip the dash toggle switch up. But, governor actuator doesn’t do anything?
Anybody out there that could email me the needed TMs?
Thanks,
Ross
Try this, in the CUCV forum, search using the term "SECM". The few available manuals were posted in threads about 8-10 years ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks