• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 recovery.. Mission accomplished.. (almost)

JUNKYARDJOHN

Well on 2/11/11 I won a M1031-AG010 shop maintanance contact truck. The E.U.C. cleared in about two weeks, & since it was fairly close to home, I figured I'd just drive up to w.p.a.f.b. & haul it home on my car trailor. I've got a 82 gmc civi long fleet 4x4 D.D. that I've had forever & pulled many an old car or truck with. It has over 500,000 miles on.. on it's third gas 350, & second 700R4. It doesn't owe me a thing, been a good old truck, & has never left me on the side of the road. I figured this M1031 would make a good replacement. Found one at a decent price, ($2503 before fees) 230 miles away, with 11718 miles, a pto driven 12,000 kw genset (with 6 hours on the meter) & an air compressor on board. Bucket seats already & everything. Well.. I left around 600 hours, & had to pickup my bud-navigator-co-pilot about 30 miles in oposite direction, & then about 60 miles to get on I-75 N. Made an appointment for loadout at 1200 hours. Plenty of time. Thats when the fun began. there must have been a bad accident or something because the expressway was closed in both directions. Detour time.... it took about 1 1/2 hours to drive 25 miles to the next exit. It looked like I was going to be late picking it up. Iwas about at the KY-OH border around noon & stopped at a rest area to call WRIGHT PAT. G.L. guys & tell em I'd be late. (Old hillbilly here.. don't text,tweet,twitter or even own one of those cellular telephones) They were great.. said no problem... come on up..the gate closes at 1400 hours. Showed up... & the truck was nicer than I hoped for. :-D:-D A little surface rust on the hood, but other than that... perfect for a 25 year old non-op military truck. it only had one battery (deader than a wedge) & was missing the glowplug relay solinoid next to the m/c on the fire wall. Other than that..it didn't appear to have been canniblized. The guy there loaded it on my trailor with a big fork lift, I chained it down , & was on my way. Well this rascal is heavy... it must weigh about 4 tons, & was quite a workout for my poor old truck. It didn't like those big old hills comming back at all. But I wasn't in any big hurry & took my time. We had to stop twice , for about a half an hour each time to let the old girl rest. It seemed like it was uphill all the way home. :driver: (I live in B.F.E. out in the mountains) . Well about 3/4 of the way down my driveway, about 150 yards from my house.... she gave up. It was about 2200 hours & we had to walk the last 450 feet home. My bud called his wife & she came & got him. I went out this morning & after a little pumping of the acelerator pedal... she fired right up & ran like always. :jumpin: It's still on the trailor & I felt like six feet of chewed string all day. Tommorrow... if it's not raining too bad, I'll pull it off the trailor & make it run. The spare tire still has the sticker on it, & it looks like an average 11,000 mile truck. I'M HAPPY. John

Attachments

Last edited:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck, one you've had one though you're going to have to have another one, and another one , and another one . . .

JUNKYARDJOHN

Good looking truck, one you've had one though you're going to have to have another one, and another one , and another one . . .
Yep I know.... since july of 2010 I bought an M1009.... 2 6.2 takeouts from hummers, two M105a2 cargo trailors & now this M1031. Next I want an M818 Wrecker really really bad, & then a much coveted Duece. I'll be saving up my nickels for the next perchase. I've got that green iron desease BAD. rofl It's a good thing I live out in the mountains where no-one will b@*%c & complain about whats parked at my house. A big THANK YOU to the fine , knowlegable & helpful people on this board that allow me thru thiere wealth of information to resurect these old rolling treasures. JOHN

camp9

That's a good buy, I got to get one of those. What day were you at wright-pat?? I was there thursday morning with citizersoldier to pick up my m35a3. Andrew, the GL guy was great to work with. Hows the drive shaft on yours?? is it bent from the fork lift??

Camp

JUNKYARDJOHN

That's a good buy, I got to get one of those. What day were you at wright-pat?? I was there thursday morning with citizersoldier to pick up my m35a3. Andrew, the GL guy was great to work with. Hows the drive shaft on yours?? is it bent from the fork lift??

Camp
I was there at about 1300 hours. Musta just missed you. They sure had some gorgeos trucks on the lot didn't they? I haven't even dug the driveshaft out of the back yet to inspect it. (been raining big time here all day & it's still on my trailor) Andrew (the G.L. rep) (both the G.L. reps were extreemly helpful) said it came in with it off in the back, so with any luck (fingers crossed) it's o-k. The truck looks great. You probably saw it... it was on the end of the row towords the r.r. tracks. I was one wore out old man all day yesterday. I'M STOKED & it looks like the rain is letting up. I'll go out & fire up the old John Deere & see if I can't pull it down off of the trailor. Sorry I missed you guys.... I sure would have liked to meet you. John :idea:

JUNKYARDJOHN

:ditto: on that truck looks pretty nice.

I want to collect a few more CUCV's myself, but my wife calls it a pipe dream.aua
I'm a single old man.... already raised my family, & have been single for 20 years... my two dogs don't care what I drag home... as long as I feed & pet em. :grin: Kinda wish my exwife would've been as happy to see me everytime I came home.... shoot... I'd probably still have her if she was. :mrgreen: John

JUNKYARDJOHN

Nice looking M1031. Congratulations on a safe recovery.

Your ole red truck got you home, she just couldn't quite make it to the door.
That old girl don't owe me a thing. I thought about selling it... but it would just break my heart to see some young kid destroy it. I'm just going to retire it next to my shop & start it & drive it about a mile once a month to keep the battery charged & everything lubed. It deserves a gentle retirement. :wink: John

AceHigh

Good story John. I bought a UHaul truck in FL and loaded it with all my junk. Got in the drive in WV when the brake pedal went to the floor. These old girls try their best.

camp9

I was there at about 1300 hours. Musta just missed you. They sure had some gorgeos trucks on the lot didn't they? I haven't even dug the driveshaft out of the back yet to inspect it. (been raining big time here all day & it's still on my trailor) Andrew (the G.L. rep) (both the G.L. reps were extreemly helpful) said it came in with it off in the back, so with any luck (fingers crossed) it's o-k. The truck looks great. You probably saw it... it was on the end of the row towords the r.r. tracks. I was one wore out old man all day yesterday. I'M STOKED & it looks like the rain is letting up. I'll go out & fire up the old John Deere & see if I can't pull it down off of the trailor. Sorry I missed you guys.... I sure would have liked to meet you. John :idea:
We pulled out about 1100, so didn't miss you by much. I wished I had looked for the truck, but I knew I had about a long ride ahead of me at 53mph. As it was it took 14 hours to get home, so that makes two of us whore out. :driver: I'd buy from those guys at wright-pat again, very nice to work with compared to some of the other GL guys. If you could keep us posted on how that truck turned out for you. I'd sure be interested in how yours turnes out. Sounds like you might have a good drive shaft, that's a great thing.

Camp

JUNKYARDJOHN

We pulled out about 1100, so didn't miss you by much. I wished I had looked for the truck, but I knew I had about a long ride ahead of me at 53mph. As it was it took 14 hours to get home, so that makes two of us whore out. :driver: I'd buy from those guys at wright-pat again, very nice to work with compared to some of the other GL guys. If you could keep us posted on how that truck turned out for you. I'd sure be interested in how yours turnes out. Sounds like you might have a good drive shaft, that's a great thing.

Camp
I'll keep my fingers crossed... but you know they're record as good as me. :shock: thanks john

JUNKYARDJOHN

Can I ask what exactly your "old John Deere" is Junkyard? We got bunch, and know more about 'em than I ever will MVs...
It's a 2001 4600 with a 460 front end loader. It seems like it's 43 horse 3 cyl. diesel. I made up a set of forks off of an old hi-lo. They are great for picking up logs & pallets & stuff. I don't know how anyone can get along without a tractor & an old wrecker. :beer: John

JUNKYARDJOHN

Groundhogs???? Woodchucks???? Badgers??? If God grew it, I'll stew it. :drool: I BAR-B-QUED up a woochuck for a memorial day cookout years ago. It was good. I de-boned it & called it mystery meat. Everyone liked it... but no-one could guess what it was. shoot... I'd cook one up again.... but then again... I'm an old hillbilly too. :mrgreen:

Danger Ranger

Yeah

I don't know how anyone can get along without a tractor & an old wrecker. :beer: John
I agree. We have had at least 1 backhoe, numerous tractors, and a dump truck and tag-along since before I was born. (small family excavating business + small farming operation)

I am spoiled :roll:, but don't see how I can't have some sort of lifting mechamism, be it a home-brew boom, loader, or backhoe, at all times![thumbzup]

That old girl don't owe me a thing. I thought about selling it... but it would just break my heart to see some young kid destroy it. I'm just going to retire it next to my shop & start it & drive it about a mile once a month to keep the battery charged & everything lubed. It deserves a gentle retirement. :wink: John
I'm glad to see someone still has some common decency towards their trusty pickem up truck! [thumbzup] I still have my first C/K 1500 with 292,000 miles (original 350, burns a quart every 1k miles, new rear end at 234k and rebuilt tranny at 251k.). I dont think I will ever get rid of it. I'd rather it rot a slow death at my place then sell it to someone who doesnt cherish it like I do!

2deuce

When I bought my 79 ford new I said I'll never sell it and I am still loyal to it, but it is getting a 6bt engine transplant. I will not drive that 400 another mile even tho it has low miles. congrats on the m1031. I have one also that I want to get going.