• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 recovery.. Mission accomplished.. (almost)

markinnh

good luck with your truck, i can relate to being surprised how heavy it is. I ve got the one with the wiscaonsin engine and armeture in the back. Dragged it from Baltimore to South West New Hampshire ith a half ton Ford. Couldnt go over 50 or the trailer wagged uncontrollably. It was crazy but we did make it. Be well.

JUNKYARDJOHN

good luck with your truck, i can relate to being surprised how heavy it is. I ve got the one with the wiscaonsin engine and armeture in the back. Dragged it from Baltimore to South West New Hampshire ith a half ton Ford. Couldnt go over 50 or the trailer wagged uncontrollably. It was crazy but we did make it. Be well.
YEP...it's one heavy sucker. Pulled it 230 miles home up into the mountains with my 82 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy with over 1/2 million miles on it. That old truck made it all the way into my driveway before she finally gave up the ghost. Had to walk the last 150 yards. I went out the next morning to pull it the rest of the way up to my shop with my John Deere, but climbed in & pumped the crap out her.... & she fired right up & ran like always:grin::grin:. Musta just been vapor locked from that long, hard, uphill pull. I wouldn't sell that old truck for a million bucks. The next day I called the guy that did all my excavating for me when I built my house, & he came by, looked it over & agreed to buy the big utility bed complete with the p.t.o. generator & air compressor for about 80% of what I paid for the whole rig. :grin: I bought a m105A2 1 1/2 ton trailor a few months back down at huntsville, that I'm going to put the box on back of this truck. Well darn if the same guy didn't offer to buy the trailor frame for $50 more than I paid for the trailor. :grin: Not only that... but he offered to pull em both over to his shop, & help switch boxes on both of them.:grin: (he's got all the equiptment) & the truck is still on the car trailor. I think I'm going to like how this is headed. He's got a little 3 cyl. perkins diesel to hook up & run that generator. If all this works out like I hope... I'll only have a few hundred bucks & some labour in this truck when I'm done. I'm one happy old hillbilly so far.:beer: John

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, first I have to say, great job! Glad you got it home safe. Now, if you are going to part company with the SECM bed and the purchaser is going to run it off of a pony motor of sorts, you should be able to find a market for the governor and PTO off the truck. Sounds like your plan is coming together. Lastly, I'm jealous! You live in my favorite state of the nation and besides that, you are in God's country being near the Cumberland Gap. Man, I really wished I could live there.

JUNKYARDJOHN

John, first I have to say, great job! Glad you got it home safe. Now, if you are going to part company with the SECM bed and the purchaser is going to run it off of a pony motor of sorts, you should be able to find a market for the governor and PTO off the truck. Sounds like your plan is coming together. Lastly, I'm jealous! You live in my favorite state of the nation and besides that, you are in God's country being near the Cumberland Gap. Man, I really wished I could live there.
I have to agree... I'm 53 & had a stroke & brain surgury about 20 years ago, so I took the vow of poverty & retired. I've been here 5 years & live on 27 acres of woods out in the mountains. My kids are all grown, & I just live here with my 2 dogs & play with my old trucks. I'm 1/2 mile from the daniel boone nat. forest, my driveway is over 1/4 mile long, & I can go two weeks without hearing another human voice if I'm so inclined. LIFE IS GOOD HERE IN GODS COUNTRY. I LIKE IT. JOHN :) (PIC.S FROM MY FRONT PORCH ABOUT A MONTH AGO)

Attachments

JUNKYARDJOHN

Is that a holmes 480 bed on the wrecker?
NO actually it's a "weldbuilt" boom with a P.T.O. driven winch. I've got an 85 C-30 4x4 dually sitting there, that I am going to put the chasis under the wrecker. It's a 69 that I drove here when I moved 2340 miles, from Carson City Nevada , TOWING a 72 short fleet project. Good last trip for the old girl. I've got a fresh 396, & fresh t-400 with a divorced np205 that will accomodate my p.t.o. going in it . It'll run thru 456-1 14 blt. ff & a dana 60 out front. Chevrolet didn't make a 4x4 dually that year. I kinda like different one-off junk.... It's a hobby... keeps me off the street corners. :p John

Attachments

Hightechken

I never thought much of the CUCV's, Finally my son talked me into getting one, So I got a M1009, Liked it so much he didnt have to talk too hard for me to search out a M1031.....
And as pointed out, One isnt enough! After searching a long time to find the first one, I stumbled into another one for even less money. So bought that one too. Nice trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks