• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 starter

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Asking who has seen different size shims on this starter for the 6.2 diesel.
I seen someone pulled one off of a 6.2 civilian type engine and that shim was probably a .150 thousands.

Thank you to everybody that might have some information.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Barrman

Is yours a reduction gear or direct drive starter motor? The redux units almost all say DO NOT SHIM. The CUCV and HMMWV manuals have a great part about how to determine if you need to shim and how much as well.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After measuring that shim I was wrong, it was only .090 thousands.
It's such a bear to get in there with the differential right in your face. I was wondering if there should be a tooth to gear gap for wire measurement that it should be. definitely don't want to sheer off some fly will teeth if you know what I mean.
Is that discussion in a TM?

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure which starter it is, I think it's the gear reduction style.
When turning it over/cranking it just sounds a little bit tight to myself, it looks like there's 2 thin shims in there now.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is yours a reduction gear or direct drive starter motor? The redux units almost all say DO NOT SHIM. The CUCV and HMMWV manuals have a great part about how to determine if you need to shim and how much as well.
Is this the document you're referring to??