• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 vs M887 welders

oddave715

Just thinking about the differences between the two trucks and was wondering about the pros vs cons of the different welders. Anyone on here operated both? As far as trucks go I'd rather have the cucv. But what welder system would you rather have?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't speak from hands on experience but neither are efficient to operate. The Hobart runs a gas sucking 4 cylinder Wisconsin engine and the other requires running a 6.2 V-8 diesel. A Miller Bobcat or Lincoln Ranger would be a much better option. There are a number of CUCVs with the M887 beds on them.

MatthewH

I've never used the CUCV Genny, but I always thought it be handier than the Hobart, just for the fact it has 220v capabilities. Alot of my repair/weld tools are 220v, so I can't run them on the Hobart, I have to have a separate genny or 220v on site
I run the Hobart welder on side jobs, and it does pretty well. Burns roughly 1-1/4 gals of gas an hour, and that's continuous stick welding at 150 amps, with the air compresser running as needed, and a grinder as well.
I agree with Kenny, a Bobcat or Trailblazer would be nice, but for a 70's vintage welder, it welds great and is built to last.
Only downfall I've found it some of the circuit controls are hard to locate if your in need of them. I've never replaced any, but another member close by had to replace the speed control box, as well as some other odd pieces, had to eBay them out of Canada, as they were only place available

dependable

The PTO driven 1031 generator is a 12KW brushless alternator. The welding plug in the truck is 208 3 phase, 45 amp max. I would be interested to know what welder it was originally equipped with, although the modern ones are lighter and can do more.

oddave715

I think as mentioned above it is the Miller XMT300 or the Ramrod. I have heard there two different units in different trucks. I didn't know that the cucv could not weld without one of those units so that was good to know.

Would a miller bobcat fit in place of the M887's Hobart unit? That would be a good option if so and the Hobart unit wasn't operational.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to wiggle my 4'x2'x2' transfer tank in that spot. I would say a bobcat or ranger would certainly fit. The Hobart bolts to a pallet that is on slides. Keep that pallet to put your welder on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks