• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 wheel well? Is there space? Also some general info on a M1031?

TechnicallyTactical

So i'm pretty new here, and new to trucks in general, so bare with me asking these questions.
I've been looking into a CUCV M1031, and it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for the utility box to lower down before hitting the top of the wheel, is that true? or is it just hollow behind that panel and the wheel is allowed to sit behind that panel on the side. ask me to clarify if im explaining it badly.

Also, I've been told there is less torque on the 1031, compared to a 1028 for example, my question is, What would that loss in torque prevent me from being able to do? anything worth making a point to say its got less torque?
Will I run into problems off-roading that other trucks wouldn't have? maybe due to how it divers from other CUCVs or because of the utility bed?

How big is the bed? and tall? could I fit a queen bed in it, standing it up on its long side and sliding in the bed? trying to get a good feel for how big it is and if i would be happy with its size or regret it.

Finally any advice you wanna tell me about a 1031 or other trucks that I might be interested in, anyone own one and love it? tell me your gripes about it or what makes it awesome.
It would be my only vehicle, and I don't know if I should use it as my only vehicle, or wait until I can have this and another car.

Thanks guys, friend turned me on to the site and to the CUCVs and i'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.

dependable

The whole bed is a tool box, and no there is not really room for another under wheel well.

The whole truck is same as 1028 except for bed and transfer case, which has a little lower low gears and ability to take PTO.

Off roading ability would be affected by the extra ton or so of weight of box and equipment.

Queen sized bed? Standing up? now that is funny. You might want a M1010 ambulance or an RV (or a 109).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Space in the back is limited. I often sent my kids into the back to fetch stuff as standing bent over is heck on the back and the bed floor is heck on the knees. What use are you planning for the truck? It's a good truck for service work, not so great just to move stuff. If you did need to move a mattress or such you could always strap in on top of the bed. Even if it did fit at an angle on its side, the compressor and generator would prevent it from sliding in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stop in and see mine, since we live so close.

TechnicallyTactical

Well i meant, the panel right above the wheel doesn't give the wheel a whole lot of wiggle room, it looks pretty easy for the wheel to hit the top of that panel...or does wheel go up in the panel and sit behind it if it was loaded up or hit a bump...or am i just exaggerating how much room the wheel would need and it would never actually hit it unless you were beating the crap out of it.

TechnicallyTactical

yeah i mean I don't need to use it for hauling stuff all the time, but i want to know i can fit something decently big in it the few times i may have to...like how tall and wide...maybe as wide as a truck bed if you cut it off at the wheel wells? is it an 8ft bed? and is it as tall as say a regular cap on a bed would be?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like we may be discussing 2 different bodies. The M1031 body has shorter boxes in front of the rear tires. The old M887 box which many have found their way onto the M1028 trucks have equal length boxes and a panel between them. I think this panel is the one being referred to.

Skinny

That wheel well has twice as much room for rubber compaired to the front fender. The M1031 box is pretty much useless to haul large items because the gen head takes up about 2.5' in length, plus the box is narrower because of the side comparments. Get a roof rack or a trailer if you need more space.

TechnicallyTactical

yeah, i mean im not looking to haul a lot all the time, just but enough room to sleep back there if need be and transport a fridge or furniture. I cant seem to find any measurements and im not ready to trust my eyes on pictures, just today out of the blue I moved a fridge today, slid nice into my 8ft bed Chevy. Oh Skinny, You put a 4" lift on the 1031, how much work/cost was that if you dont mind me asking? Wouldnt mind doing it if I can do it myself.

Skinny

You are looking at a minimum of $1000 to do it right, probably more towards $2000 if you decide to do hi steer which is preferred if you take it offroad often. My stock push pull with a dropped pitman arm is surviving just fine on the street. I highly recommend Offroad Design for the parts, most would agree they are a trustworthy vendor. Others are out there so shop around. The big part is deciding what you want to do with the back suspension. If you want to retain the military overload setup, a 4" block would work. Not ideal but not bad considering the spring pack that is on the truck. A shackle flip works great but won't retain the overload without fabrication. Being that these rigs are three decades old, new springs all around is typically the best way to fly. My rear springs are USA made and I was able to order exactly what spring rate and capacity I wanted. My personal opinion on what you are trying to do, I would invest in a small trailer so you can move stuff around. You will find the M1031 box is not ideal for moving large objects like appliances and refrigerators. The deck height will suck too with the lift and tires. I am moving tool boxes this weekend and rented a uhaul trailer. For the whopping $18, I don't have to lift my boxes chest high to load and do not have to worry about anything sliding around and taking out my generator equipment.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just but enough room to sleep back there if need be and transport a fridge or furniture.
Your options here are a mini fridge, a barstool or 2 and sleeping in the fetal position. You can't do more than one of these at a time. If you like the cool factor of the M1031 you could always add a trailer as someone posted. The M101A2 or M101A3 would be a nice addition to the truck and opens up a wide field of options for hauling and sleeping deep in the weeds.

Skinny

It sounds like you would best benefit from an M1028 with a shelter when you want to go camping which can be removed if you want to haul. Or just go with whatever truck floats your boat and get an M101 trailer to match. The prices I quoted are for parts only, figure your labor will probably end up about half of your parts cost. Going with a smaller lift won't really save you any money. Your front springs are pretty much same price regardless of lift amount. The shocks and hardware are going to be the same. The rear springs should still be replaced due to age. At that point, you will only save on steering mods and brake lines with a smaller lift. Going taller than 4" which is sometimes argued will empty your wallet pretty fast. 6"+ lifts require high steer and driveshaft mods. Don't let people tell you a 6" is doable because most guys will run a dropped draglink and tcase crossmember spacers which isn't doing you any favors. Stick to 2-4" if you want to clear 35-37" tires. Or just break out a sawzall...

TechnicallyTactical

Im looking for ground clearance rather than just to fit beefier tires, but a lift may be on a list of things to do, but its not needed, so down the road when im squared away and ive got it reliable then i would like to do it. and for camping, im a make a shelter myself kinda guy, so a camper isnt really me. The organisation, generator and air compressor on board is what interests me, but im just talking out whats cool, practicality isn't making it to my head as much as it should be so im still trying to run through what i want, i mean thats why im here, trying to get opinions from people who have done it and see what kind of set up they have. But with my silverado, i haven't needed to move anything that seems like it wouldn't fit in the 1031, and i have so much stuff i keep in my truck (bug out stuff, camping, tools), which is a pain to get to when i have it in the back and a cap on my bed, so all those compartments are beautiful to me, I love a good organized system.

Skinny

I'm telling you from first hand experience...I am using my M1031 to move this weekend. It sucks for hauling cargo, it's not built for it. Sure if it fits in the bed, go for it. Unless what you have is in boxes or totes which can be loaded easily (lifted M1031 is not cargo friendly) then it goes in. Think of all the little open spots and sharp corners cargo can get stuck in. Plus you don't need something shifting and ripping off wires or somethig in the back. I love mine because it serves a purpose as a utility truck. I didn't buy mine to move cargo. See you at the uhaul store ;)

TechnicallyTactical

I'm telling you from first hand experience...I am using my M1031 to move this weekend. It sucks for hauling cargo, it's not built for it. Sure if it fits in the bed, go for it. Unless what you have is in boxes or totes which can be loaded easily (lifted M1031 is not cargo friendly) then it goes in. Think of all the little open spots and sharp corners cargo can get stuck in. Plus you don't need something shifting and ripping off wires or somethig in the back. I love mine because it serves a purpose as a utility truck. I didn't buy mine to move cargo. See you at the uhaul store ;)
yeah i see what your saying, but if i need to move i can borrow a trailer. and hauling isnt something i do a lot. Im still on edge about it, but as it is now my truck is about a 1/4 full with my extra gear i keep with me. So it seems to me like this is the kind of truck i would get the most use out of. Just curious what do you do with it as a utility truck? Do you use it for your job?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks