• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 with tools

2deuce

What tools came with the M1031? Does anyone have a picture of a truck with everything it should have in the back? I'd like a picture so I can see where it all went. Did they come with a tow bar, and slave cable also? Thanks

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on the NSN of the box. There are several. I don't believe tow bars or slave cables were in the BII. TM 9-4940-421-14 has the inventory of what would have come with mine.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the newer version, not sure how many different types or configurations. I believe the TMs for those are still restricted.

2deuce

If someone bought one with the back still stocked, thats what I'd like to see. And what was stored on the side compartments. Thanks

2deuce

I was hoping to see a truck set up with the tools. What went where type of pictures. The older models were set up alot differently. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the version with the PTO generator, there are 3 NSNs, ordnance, engineer, and EOD. Here is a pic of the vise on one that just sold.

Attachments

timm831

I have one that came from a Mississippi National Guard unit and looking at what it came with it appears that it was a contact maintenace truck. It has an 8 KW Miller Bobcat welder, with the set up for Mig, Tig, wire feed along with Arc welding, a set of torch gauges and multiple head/torches, welding rods for both gas and stick welding, tools out the wazzoo, porta powers, hand tools, you name it.

I can take pictures of how I have it set up and send them to you if you like.

citizensoldier

I have one of the "Dodge" versions with the Wisconsin powered gen/welder that still has all the data plates on each door telling you what was supposed to be in each spot. Would that help? Its all numbered and very detailed.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet you'll never find anyone with the original contents. I've seen pictures (may have them on another computer) of GL M1031s with full compartments. Again, probably not the original contents but i'll see if I can dig them up for you. The TM I posted earlier relates to the M887 contact body (which is what I have on my M1028A1) from the late 70's and shows a diagram of the cabinets and a list of contents.
When I bought mine from GL it had type written (from a real old typewriter) sheets taped to the inside of the cabinets showing contents. I'll see if I can dig those up as well. They were so old the "U"s were typed "V" and the tape was from when 3M had only 2Ms.
The TM Chief_919 posted is from the 60's.
If your's has the data plate on the cabinet, tell us the NSN, delivery date, and serial number.

citizensoldier

I think you will be able to read it??

Attachments

diesel583

Look in my profile, I have pictures of mine when I ot it. Every mechanic could change the basic contents to suit his job and location

2deuce

Thanks guys for the input. I was curious how the military set it up and what they thought was necessary and what went in the holders and compartments. My truck has the same Yost vice as NDT pictured. It doesn't match all the holes, so its bolted in with only 2 of its 3. My truck has the data plates ripped off the box so I don't have a NSN or serial #. I do have a NSN that GL assigned to their sticker it's 4940012098824. My truck had some hard use during its service life, before GL got it. It's got the typical forklift damage to the truck but no forklift damage to the box. The floor of the box is dented and wavy and the middle crossmember is broken at the rubber mounts. There are solid L shaped brackets mounting the box to the frame. I don't know if this was a repair or update but it doesn't look like it was originally designed this way. The gen controller has been removed.
The truck is where the most problems lie. It is cannibalized in the engine dept no starter, no radiator, 1 alternator, no heater core, no battery cables, bus connector, or wiring to the glow plug relay from the battery. There was a radiator in the back, I don't know if it was the one from my truck or a bad one that was replaced from my truck. I'm going to assume its bad. The engine has a rebuild tag on it from Touele. It also has oil burned on the exhaust manifold near the front drivers side. I'm concerned the engine is bad. I'd hate to replace all the missing pieces then find out the engine is bad. It was cannibalized for some reason. There are no fluids in the engine or trans. I'm uncertain what to do, but I'm leaning toward replacing the engine. With all the stuff missing it would be the best time to do it. Are there any tests/inspections I can run on it as it sits? Would you replace the trans at the same time? the possibility the trans went bad and is the reason for the cannibalization has to be considered. If I drop the pan on the trans, would it be a worthwhile inspection? I don't know what to look for other than burnt fluid. Looking for advice. Thanks

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd guess there is something wrong with the motor and they picked it apart.
1. Try turning the crank with a breaker bar and socket.
2. Drop the pan on both motor and trans and do a visual inspection

You might be better off trying to buy an M1008 as a platform for the SECM box or a donor for yours.

2deuce

They also knocked a freeze plug into the block , either a hint that the block is no good or they wanted all the fluids out or both. It doesn't look like they intended on running that engine again. I guess I'd better research removing it. I hope its not too bad a job.
Thanks

2deuce

They might have removed the radiator because they were going to remove the engine and only started on it. Then after it sat others started helping themselves. Upon examining what might have went wrong I found one of the oil lines that ran up to the radiator was removed and in the cab. It was worn from rubbing on something down by the oil filter. I can't see a hole but it was leaking and I suspect the engine ran out of oil. This is the assumption I'm going to rely on. The pan plug hasn't been removed, but the engine shows no oil on the stick. I turned over the engine by hand but if it has a knock I don't think it would make itself apparent. The other odd thing is the trans shows no oil also. Would they have sucked it out if they intended on removing the engine? or when the radiator was removed it ran out the cooling lines, will this happen?. Any ideas? If this wasn't a M1031 plus the fact that I've wanted one, I would part this out. Thanks

2deuce

Does any know where the linkage that runs off the actuator to the IP can be found? Hopefully someone has this linkage and is not running a generator. Thanks *