• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1037 HMMWV Project, Eye Candy 2

TedG

I got this truck in about 2 months ago. M1037 HMMWV's are my favorite since I am partial to 2 door trucks. This one is mostly orginal and I only added the military bucket seats, troops seats and X doors w/half doors. Still have pm work to do but had to paint it (carc type 4) before the big storm blew through.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
She's a beaut, Ted! I'm still a big fan of the 2-man config. I'd love to get one of those avenger tops from SD and run it with some hard doors in the winter months. It would certainly help with the drafts!

TedG

Thanks for the comps. Avenger top would be the ticket. I have a bottom divider for civi 2 door but no upper. It would be fun to mount a hard top on this truck or let the new owner do it when I am done with it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work. Does it have the heavy rear suspension? Mine runs around with the wheels tucked like a M151A1 with no S250 in the back.

TedG

Heavy springs and perches, 3000lbs.. Good for shelters and ambulances bodies or perfect for that dump truck ride when empty!

HID light bar. Need one?! Very bright and add a nice look to truck.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I've had my truck in many configurations (including 2-door cargo with troop seats), and it's presently converted to an M1037, complete with a fully equipped shelter on the back. I found a pair of the rear filler panels with the access hatch on the bottom, but I haven't seen ones that actually open like doors before. I went through the parts TM looking for anything with a usable-on-code for the shelter carrier to find out what needed to be changed. Upgrading the rear suspension was a bit of work.

I gather that the heavy rear suspension shouldn't be driven around much without a load on it, so if I take off the shelter and don't have a bunch of cargo to move, then I figure I should put quarter- to half-ton of rocks or something in the back.

Do y'all know if there are any other collectors with an M1037 equipped with a shelter? Mine is the only one I've seen in civilian hands. I like the novelty of having a particularly uncommon configuration with the added bonus of being packed full of radios, but I still think I'd like to convert mine to an M1025 one of these days. I have always liked the looks of those. I'd consider trading my M923 for a complete slant-back hard top set with the gun ring, windshield, and whatever other major pieces I'd need...

TedG

Danger Ranger: PM to be sent on price when done. This thread is not an ad!
Panzerwillie (via email pm): Sorry, no extra rear doors.
nf6x: You may have the only true M1037 with shelter carrier. I have an M1037 for many years and I removed the shims to level out the rear tires, and it still hade the rear frame for the shelter (now removed). This truck shown seems to have some of the shims removed as well.

Thanks guys.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the real difference between the 2-door and 4-door HMMWVs? I'm not trying to make a stupid question, I'm just saying that the HMMWV was supposed to be modular. I can change a M998 basic HMMWV with the slant top into a 2-door ambulance or 2-door shelter carrier with some spare parts and time. Does it really change the designation of the HMMWV? Guess if I get a HMMWV in the future, and I change it's configuration, I'll have to change the data plate every time I do.

TedG

Almost all early series hmmwv's are M998 which are 4 door or 2 door. Tub is the same and the rear seat bases are installed at AMG. The slant back trucks (M125,26,44,45 etc) are same seat configuration but some extra metal plating installed and ofcourse the slant back top. M1038 is a 4 four door communication truck with winch but very similar to a M998. The M1037 is a true shelter carrier. No rear seat bases, heavy rear springs and perches.

M998/M1038 can easily be converted from 2 door to 4 door, but the M1037 would have to have rear seat bases installed to make it a true 4 door (4 man). M1037 did not have troop seat either but I added them to this truck since I like the look.

hwcurtice

I know you answered this before, The slantback one you're selling, but where do you get these from?

Also, when its done, could you shoot me a price as well? Or just a general idea now?

Thanks.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I call mine an "M1037" because that's the model that it's closest to in its current configuration. SOoif somebody looks up "M1037", they'll see something similar to my truck. My dataplate still says "M998", and I still have the rear seat bases installed. I've considered removing them, but I should leave them in place since now I am once again considering changing it to an M1025 configuration.

I doubt that major configuration changes such as converting between cargo truck, shelter carrier, ambulance or weapon carrier were routinely done in the field. If and when they were done, I doubt that the dataplates and/or recorded model number were updated. Technically, my truck is an M998 that has been modified to be similar to an M1037, still retaining some M998 features such as the rear seat bases, and with additional modifications such as installation of the rear "airlift" bumper.

TedG

If you seek a hmmwv, look around the internet. Biggest supply is ebay.

nf6x: correct, they really do not change much. Since I am into these, I really like it when you find one that is not factory M998. It can make a truck stand out when put up for sale. I have had M1038 w/winch come in as a 2 man troop carrier and with holes for slantback top. Lots of bolt holes in some of them due to the different configurations they went through.

TedG

Still turning wrenches on this truck and the pm items are getting knocked down. Replaced drivers side exhaust manifold, new glow plugs, new washer bottle/pump, new tail light buckets and covers, getting new glass today. It looks like I will have to clean cooling stack, lots of debris (might even find a tool in there ;-) )

fordcrazy68

TedG

Love your work , reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy wish I could afford that slant back she is a beauty . Never drove anything that nice when I was in , cant wait to see the 2 man truck , would like to see how she turns out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks