• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M103A3 at JBLM Recovery - advice requested

aleigh

I won the M103A3 at JBLM this afternoon.

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/T...asc&rr=0.125&hitprm=pstart=0,sm=0&pnLink=yes#

I plan to use it for the base of an antenna mast trailer for HAM radio. Excited about this project, because I've wanted an antenna trailer for years, and being able to pull a big one was one of the things I had in mind when I got a LMTV in the first place.

I have never done an auction recovery before, so this is not only my first time at JBLM but at all. I'll be fetching it with a LMTV. I was wondering if anyone has any recent tips about JBLM - e.g. is a passport required, what gate, etc. I know there is a lot of great info in the threads but as procedures change I don't want to rely on old info...

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call Justin (local GP guy) and confirm, but all the JBLM GP stuff is off post already. He's really helpful.

Those pictures look like their lot near the base, but outside the fence.

aleigh

So of course I called eventually and they are saying it is on base. The woman said to show up at the Logistics gate - they didn't mention the passport requirement but thanks for the heads up - and claim I need to pick something up.

Do the base guys have cares to give about safety - like if I fail to rig the service brakes and just get the thing rolling and get out of there - or if I don't have temp tags or whatever - are they going to hassle me over it? I don't see how it is their problem, but, this is why I ask. I will be OK on lights but frankly would not bother with tags or brakes just to get it home.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've hauled trailers out of there with no tags, but did have magnetic lights. If you have a friend with a mil ID it will save you a lot of time at the gate, as you can go in the normal line. the commercial line can take hours. If i wasn't out of town, id give you a hand with this.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigh. So show up plenty early you are saying. She said they close at 1400 for this.
Show Up Early. Very. Sorry it's on base. My record was 3 hours in line waiting for inspection. And they did a decent space accountability search. You can imagine how that goes with a semi who already has 1/2 a load.

I've also been through in 15 minutes, depends on the day and threat condition.

I've never had the MP's do anything but wave on the way out, and last time I had a sketchy load. (Like had to stop one exit up and re-do 1/2 the straps. Pallets of ammo cans need more rigidity)

wsucougarx

That doesn't look like yard I'm use to seeing at JBLM. Sure it's not the Lakewood yard? Anyways, as far as driving equipment off base, you won't get hassled at all. I've driven about a dozen trucks and trailers off base. They don't even look twice when you drive out of the gate. Now as far as getting on base, they don't do a vehicle safety inspection. They do however look at your passport or enhanced DL.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A passport? Is that for real? I didn't have a passport until I was in my 40s. I thought getting on Canaveral Air Station (Kennedy Space Center) was a hassle.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A passport? Is that for real? I didn't have a passport until I was in my 40s. I thought getting on Canaveral Air Station (Kennedy Space Center) was a hassle.
WA has some issues with the federal government and our desire to hand out licenses to people who can't prove their identity.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WA has some issues with the federal government and our desire to hand out licenses to people who can't prove their identity.
Now that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explano. Considering that I would gladly carry and display my passport.

rustystud

Like has already mentioned before, they don't care about you leaving as long as your doing the speed limit. It's the entry that's a royal pain. You must have proof of insurance also besides vehicle registration. I lost my insurance card once and they would not let me on base. 4 hour trip for nothing ! They have been known to check out your passengers also. So make sure no one has any out standing warrants on them ! Like "rhurey" said it depends on the threat level that day.

aleigh

Big thanks to rhurey, he saved me a HUGE headache -

So my release paperwork said call iron planet central - so I call them and ask her point black, where is the trailer, on base or the yard, and they tell me it's in JBLM. rhurey was pretty insistent from the pictures that it was in the Lakewood yard and went to the trouble to send me an annotated overhead photo. He was able to provide me with Justin's phone number - since it was not on the paperwork - and I just called him and he says, yeah, it is in the yard. He says they have been having computer problems lately and the items are not properly registering...

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad it's working out. I wish the logistics gate on no one. (And the visitors pass center on even less people)

aleigh

I'm sympathetic to JBLM's need for security, and, I am really glad that GP has a yard, I just wish they hadn't steered me wrong. I mean they had one job, right.

In any event now to just worry about getting it home, I plan to go out there on Friday.

aleigh

Thanks to everyone who pitched in advice. I picked up the trailer yesterday with my LMTV at the Lakewood yard as advertised. Justin was awesome and everything was super quick and easy. I didn't mess with the air because I have heard about the relay valves sticking and causing problems.

Biggest problem is the landing leg jack on the front is jacked up (ha ha). Looks like I'll need to find another one. Looks like they haven't used the air system in a long time too, for example, one of the hand brake wires has crushed the air line going into the brake cyl. But otherwise it's mostly just flash corrosion and the trailer looks pretty solid. 2005 paint job. I'm still in the process of sourcing a crank-up antenna mast for it, and then I will devise some kind of mounting for it.

20160609_170217.jpg20160609_172342.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks