• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1044 Door Glass

Gunny456

I am a new guy to this forum. I am trying to do a frame up restoration on a M1044. It has the correct doors and old glass in it. The glass is a total of 5/8" thick but it has 3/8" of glass and what appears to be a 1/4" Clear Lexan piece laminate on the outside of the glass. The rubber gasket groove is also 5/8" wide. The window aluminum channel is 7/8" wide inside. I can only seem to find glass 3/8" thick and can't locate the 5/8" thick laminate glass. Can anyone guide me on this please?
Also the front windscreen appears to not be correct as it looks as though someone installed standard glass in it and it wobbles back and fourth. I surmise the correct glass should be thicker? What thickness should it be?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

orgnal

I am a new guy to this forum. I am trying to do a frame up restoration on a M1044. It has the correct doors and old glass in it. The glass is a total of 5/8" thick but it has 3/8" of glass and what appears to be a 1/4" Clear Lexan piece laminate on the outside of the glass. The rubber gasket groove is also 5/8" wide. The window aluminum channel is 7/8" wide inside. I can only seem to find glass 3/8" thick and can't locate the 5/8" thick laminate glass. Can anyone guide me on this please?
Also the front windscreen appears to not be correct as it looks as though someone installed standard glass in it and it wobbles back and fourth. I surmise the correct glass should be thicker? What thickness should it be?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Sounds like it was armored. You have bullet proof glass. Sounds like the wind shield bullet proof glass was replaced with regular glass at some point.

McReddy

Action

The plastic goes on the INSIDE, glass on the outside. The ones i had would stop a .22. Bit not a 7.62x39. It was more like a clear rubber on the inside. When thd glass half sharded, it was not sharp on the edges.

Gunny456

Thanks Action for the clarification on that. I got the doors in pieces so did not know if the plastic went in or out. Now I do! Thank you much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks