• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1045A2 4L80E Transmission Wiring Problem

TexasFlu419

I need information on which wiring harness, or section of a harness, is required to connect the transmission breaker and relay to the rest of the vehicle, pictures of how it all attached would be very much appreciated, and if anyone has had luck with the Iron Clad Assurance on transmission/wiring issues.

Rest of the story: I received my M1045A2 on Wednesday night. It is my third HMMWV, but the first with the 4L80E. Regardless, I was very excited, until I realized the next morning there was only one forward gear. After a few hours of searching on the internet and checking out the HMMWV, I discovered that the wires coming from the transmission circuit breaker and relay were cut.

There are seven cut wires coming out of the breaker/relay box, and only four that are hanging as a bundle in the trans tunnel. The ones in the box still have the numbers on them, and I traced three of the trans tunnel wires back to the J2 connector on the TCM. Here is what I found:

Breaker/Relay Box : Trans Tunnel/Other Wire

290/291/537 : Assume this goes directly to some location in the Battery Box, but where?

290A/291A/537A : First wire traced back to terminal D on the J2 Connector – Connect to the A’s?

290B/291B : Attach to same terminal D wire above?

Ground in Battery Box? : Second and Third wires traced back to terminals A and F – Wire both straight to ground?

290C/291C : Maybe the fourth wire is 291D/657A - connect?

537C : Do not see on the diagnostic chart – where to connect?

29T : Connect somewhere in Battery box (29D?)?

57T : Connect somewhere in Battery box (is block on side of the battery box wall the shunt?)?

Even after I get this all wired up, the trans could have a mechanical problem that initiated the cutting. The Iron Clad Assurance does not cover anything requiring going through the trans gears to discover, but since it starts in second, maybe I have a shot. Anyone have any luck disputing trans issues with Gov Planet?

Sorry for the long-winded and convoluted post. Any help is appreciated.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I’m sure you paid good money for the truck. The harness damage may be something that should have been caught during inspection. Especially if it was cut.

TexasFlu419

I sent the Iron Clad Assurance Dispute Form in this morning, and very quickly got a reply back saying they will try to find me a replacement harness and TCM! If that does not fix the problem they will talk about other repairs/dollars. I'm thrilled and will keep this post updated with the project.

If someone has pictures of how this all hooks up I would appreciate it. The TM pictures look different than what I have.

Thanks.

TexasFlu419

Thank you for the reference. I have the TM, but when, for example, FO4 shows 29T connecting with all those 27's, where is that connection? Is it in the battery box, long wire that goes under the dash somewhere, in the trans tunnel? I just have the end that sticks out of the relay.

Thanks.

Action

The parts book is a little more accurate as far as which wires are grouped together snd where. The part going to the relay is its own branch. You should br able to open the loom and find the wires you need to connect to.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Action, that is a good tip, thanks.

Retiredwarhorses - I'll take you up on that when my replacement harness comes in. Thank you very much.
There is no harness that’s is separate, it’s all contained in the body harness, this assuming your taking about the trans panel behind the battery box is the right rear passenger compartment

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s just from the circuit breaker and trans relay....what about the body harness? It comes into the battery box and then routes back out of the box to the trans panel

TexasFlu419

I thought I took a picture of that, but I can't find it. There were only four wires in that bundle - those are the four I referred to as being in the transmission tunnel at the beginning of this thread.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the harness, as well as the 12volts to the TCM power...it’s Tied to the positive of the rear battery.
Yoir going to need to look harder and pull stuff out, pull out the rear battery.

TexasFlu419

I'll dig deeper next time I am up there (the HMMWV is not at my home). Nothing is connected to the battery yet. Are you saying the power wire that goes to the breaker (290/291/537) is supposed to attach to the positive terminal of the rear battery? It currently is laying across the top of it. I attached the output line of the breaker (290A/291A/537A), that is supposed to go to the TCM, to 290B/291B, then attached those two to the line in the trans tunnel that showed connectivity to terminal D of the J2 connector of the TCM.

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but are wires of the same number all supposed to be connected, regardless of the letter at the end? So 290A, 290B, 290C, etc. should all be connected?

Thanks for all your help.