• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Big Wheel Vs Small Wheel landing gear

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one know why the landing gear on the M105 was changed from the single big wheel to the two small wheels. I just picked up a couple of old style 105s with the big wheel gear, the old style weighs a quarter of what the new style gear weighs! I could pull the big wheel gear up with one hand! That doesn't seem like much of an improvement!
James G.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of my trailers have the two small wheels so I've never used a big wheel. If I'm not mistaken the big wheel doesn't have a jack to raise and lower it. That could be one reason. Another reason could be that they weren't heavy enough. You say that it's alot easier to lift but alot of the big wheels I see are bent.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They bend, you ever TRY to hook a loaded 105 to the truck without the crank up gear?

JAYHAWK 1962

I have owned both types and as i recall they both had the ability to be crank adjusted up or down and it seemed only a couple of the manufacturers did the single wheel thing exclusively while the rest did the two wheel landing leg

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always heard of the twin wheel landing gears being the "new type"? I don't think mine do have the crank on them, which may be the issue. I keep a farm jack in the truck since the trailer hitch always seems to low for the Deuce anyway, must be where I park them, not a lot of level ground available!.
James G.

txdodge43man

The single wheel is old style as in statred on trailers in WWII and was put on trailers till they came out with the adjustable wheel models. If you look at data plates on the traliers that have the single big wheel 9 time out of 10 its a older trailer.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 3 versions of landing legs.

Early style the single large wheel, non adjustable 1st pic
Mid style 2 small wheels , but non adjustable. 3rd pic
Late style 2 small wheels, adjustable 2nd pic

The late style is the hands down ease of use winner.

You will find later model trailers with the late style wheels, but you will also find early trailers with the late style landing leg, as the Army did away with the one wheel leg, and only offered repair legs in the later style.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

I have 2 different typs fo handle on the 2 wheel legs. One you have to pull out to lift it up, and one you pull up on the handle and a cam pulls the pins to lift.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 3 versions of landing legs.

Early style the single large wheel, non adjustable 1st pic
Mid style 2 small wheels , but non adjustable. 3rd pic
Late style 2 small wheels, adjustable 2nd pic
I'm pretty sure I've got one with the mid style. It's the one with the skids and wheels. I'm also sure it is adjustable. The crank comes out the side instead of the back like the late style.

BARNYARD COMMANDO

I JUST BOUGHT ONE OF THE EARLY MODEL, PROBABLY WWII VERSION WITH THE NON-ADJUSTABLE SINGLE WHEEL. IT IS PRETTY ROUGH. I WAS LOOKING TO FIGURE OUT THE MANUFACTURER YEAR. THE INFO PLATE IS BLANK OF ALL THINGS!! BUT WHERE THE LARGE INFO PLATE USED TO BE THERE IS A NUMBER ETCHED INTO THE METAL: Serial Number 7979967. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DIG UP THIS STUFF?

3dAngus

All the above, plus...
The large wheel is hollow. It rusts. It sits on the ground day in and day out. I have received several that have rusted through the thin wall with small to medium sized pit holes.
You don't want to put a lot of weight on something that is rusting to the point where there is rust thru.
Becomes very dangerous, especially if you use the wheel to maneuver the trailer around.

Edit; oops, old thread here. I was responding to the OP, but I'm sure he is satisfied by now. Sorry!

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

The cam-type pin lever is an absolute dream to use. Didn't know they existed until I bought one with it. Only one of my 4 has it. I carry a crow bar for the other 3 to both pull pins and rotate the leg, and they're well-greased.

Steve

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess great minds think alike, I also carry a crowbar to maneuver the landing gear, they are better than the single wheel but still a pain to swing up. I've never used one of the cam types.

BARNYARD COMMANDO

I just did. Several people could have been hurt in the event. Tell you what, the trailer went before the wheel today! I loaded 5 HET Bench seats, 2 Tow Bar sets, and a few Drivelines in it and the front of the trailer came off the frame!Man that blows. Looks like I have a little fabricating to do on my WWII Gem.