• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 cover question

Ford Mechanic

Been wondering if it is ok to tow a M105 down the road with the front and rear flaps in the rolled up position? Looking to cut down on some of the wind drag for a trip and don't want to remove the cover just to have to reinstall it. I didn't know if it would create more problems or pull it off the trailer running down the road? Any one else pull theirs like that?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you towing it with?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a pickup truck, sure that will work and help some.

I've done it before.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do it, just make sure you tie up your sides/front/back/ appropriately. My big thing as BN Maint Officer was the encouragement (aka telling) units to roll the tarp "inwards" if possible (which it was on most our stuff) vs. the normal "outwards" roll. Since these would get rolled up and stay rolled, the inward roll prevented/reduced the amount of water that would stay in the roll and then damage the tarp.

Gunzy

It isn't very hard to completely remove it and fold it up and put it in the bed then remove the front and side racks and lay them in on top. That will reduce the drag profile as much as you can get.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but if you leave the top on it acts like a wing and gives the trailer lift... which means less resistance and better mileage.

Ford Mechanic

So both ends open the trailer and cover rode fine, but with it loaded and closed up it only got 1 mpg less. So not enough mpg differance to warrant the aggravation of rolling that front cover up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks