• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 dump bed trailer

res0wc18

so i have one old 105 trailer left and i am considering making it a powered dump bed. So in anticipation and research i contacted pierce sales for some info on their 2 ton universal kits which comes with everything you would need to make it work. I then asked them about a 24v setup. They said its doable but would be 100 bucks more and take three weeks to get as it comes straight from the factory.

So i started thinking about it and since i want to have a hydraulic winch setup, i though i got it ill just use a engine driven hydraulic clutch pump, that way i have power for everything i need, which pierce advised against. So i asked them ok what would it be for the kit minus the hydraulic power unit, and was shocked when they said it was only 100 bucks less without the power unit!:?:

So apparently they value the power units, which northern tool sells from 398-700 bucks at 100 bucks? I dont get it? This pissed me off.What if someone want everything minus the power unit, oh wait they basically force you to buy the entire kit and then just sell the power unit to someone!

Anyways now that i have vented about how stupid some things are, has any one made their 105 a dump?

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I searched and know there is a post about a 105 dump trailer but suspect it is on the old site. I think someone in SC or down south did it if my old brain serves me this late in the evening. There are several posts on here about bobbed deuce dumps which is identical to what you want to do theory wise...

tm america

you can use a 12 volt pump without any problems i have been running mine on 24 volts for over five years .you just have to use 24 volt relays i use a starter relay from a deuce it works great its fast and runs cool

res0wc18

you can use a 12 volt pump without any problems i have been running mine on 24 volts for over five years .you just have to use 24 volt relays i use a starter relay from a deuce it works great its fast and runs cool
What? How does that work? Have any pics etc? I thought that would fry the windings in the motor?

What brand do you have?

tm america

no the low rider guys do it all the time they run 12 volt pumps on up to 48 volts .mine is from northern.but my scissor setup it a dual cylinder so it needs twice as much fuild moved to make it work

tm america

remember when you run something on 24 volts vs 12 volts it uses only half the amps.i had my pump- scissors setup on another truck running off of 12 volts and it went slllooooowwwww and got really hot when i ran it off 24 volts it fixed it fast and cool .like i said i've been running it like that for over five years i've dumped over 500 loads with no problems at all.so do what you want but i like to go off of what the pros say and do it has been working great for me

nhdiesel

Running 24v instead of 12v puts less strain on the motor. It will require half the amperage to operate. Ever notice how many power tools, such as compressors, can be wired either 110 or 220v? They are cheaper to operate on 220 because they use less amperage. Same goes for 12 vs. 24 volts. There are some things that can't operate on both voltages, such as lights, but electric motors usually handle the higher voltage fine.

On the other hand, if you take a 24v motor and try to power it off 12 volts, you will probably fry it, since its now trying to draw twice the amperage it was designed for.

Jim

res0wc18

hmm that is interestingly common. So do you still run your power lead to the one hot or positive battery terminal and then one to the negative terminal or how does that work?

tm america

you use the neg from the first battery and the pos from the second battery otherwise youll only be getting 12 volts which will cause the batteries to discharge unevenly and then it will overcharge the second battery and kill both batteries

tm america

you can just use the frame as your ground and run the power to the pos on the second battery that way you wont need as much expensive battery cable

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nhdiesel said:
Ever notice how many power tools, such as compressors, can be wired either 110 or 220v? They are cheaper to operate on 220 because they use less amperage.
That's not really the case with AC motors. You said it yourself, you must re-wire an AC motor to make it run on the higher voltage, not the case with the smaller DC motors. Smaller DC motors are still using the same windings and internal configuration, so when you feed it with a higher voltage, yes it will run with less amp draw, and since it's a series motor it will also spin much faster and provide more torque. You CAN NOT do this with ALL DC motors though, the larger shunt or compound wound motors are a lot more sensitive to the voltage and require the proper voltage be applied.

AC motors however, still use the same amount of power no matter whether wired for high voltage (240) or low voltage (120). If you look at the nameplate on an AC motor you will see two amperage ratings as well as two voltage ratings....they are directly proportional to each other. When you re-wire an AC motor you are changing the internal configuration of the motor and either putting the windings in a series or in a parallel connection, but the same amount of power flows regardless. Just an example, you have an AC motor rated for 120/240 volts with name plate amperage ratings of 5 and 10 amps. The wattage that flows through the motor is calculated by multiplying the voltage by the amperage so....120 volts X 10 amps = 1200 watts....and 240 volts X 5 amps = 1200 watts.

tm america

actually an ac motor is wired the same either way you are just changing the power suplied to it i.e. switching a neutral for another hot thus giving it 240 instead of 120.and yes running it on half of the amps but still the same motor and same wires in the motor .i think you are refering to three phase which uses three hot wires and would be ran in parralel and are phased

comdiver

Well said Speddmon. On our shop/home motors the cost to run them is the same on either voltage. We buy our electric by the kilowatt (1000 watts). If you look at the terminal block on a multi voltage motor the different wires or terminals will allow you to reconfigure the coils for different voltages.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks