• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 help needed on the road

joshs1ofakindxj

I have a crappy blackberry curve or I would do some research and read the tm on this because I'm sure the answer is there...

Can I adjust my m105s brakes without pulling the drum and hub?

I'm driving my deuce and trailer to the butler bantam fest today and for the first time I hooked up the 1968 m105s single air line and I could feel a big difference stopping but after a few stops I saw a lot of smoke and smelled brakes burning so I shut the air line valve.

Who knows the last time those brakes were really used but they looked new when I serviced the bearings

Josh

If the brakes aren't dragging , then just unhook the airline and worry about when you get home. Just drive smart and you will be fine with out the 105 brakes.

goldneagle

Did you cross the hoses to connect to the glad hands? If you hooked them straight instead of crossing them you got them backwards! I did that on my M105 recovery and the brakes locked up. Left air hose goes to right side. Right air hose goes to left side. :driver:

Motorcar

To directly answer your question, yes you can adjust them without pulling the drums. On the back plate there are two 5/8 nuts at the top and bottom that can be adjusted with a wrench. Those are the adjustment excentrics, turn one way the shoe gets tighter, the other looser, one adjuster per shoe. A couple of turns and your wheel will be locked down, go the other way! There may be nothing wrong with your air or master cylinder, if the brakes were adjusted just on the tight side then a bit of friction from use and everything tightens up and smoking brakes are the result.

Josh

Not so much crossed. Just alot of people hook them to passenger side gladhand, not the driver side, were it is suppose to go.

KsM715

Drivers side is the brake circuit. Passenger side is the emergency circuit. Passenger side will supply air all the time.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The M105 series of trailers adjusts the same way as the deuces: A 3/4" or 7/8" (I can't remember) wrench on the upper eccentrics, turn them to adjust the shoe in and out.

You will therefore not need to remove the drum.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
From post #7 ... My 105A2's are 5/8 adjusters, your mileage may vary...

Err....my bad, didn't see post #7 and I think they are 5/8"-I was going off memory.

Oooooops.

michigandon

Did you cross the hoses to connect to the glad hands? If you hooked them straight instead of crossing them you got them backwards! I did that on my M105 recovery and the brakes locked up. Left air hose goes to right side. Right air hose goes to left side. :driver:
I made the exact same mistake with my newly acquired M105 last night! Sure wish I woulda read this thread first. :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks