• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Inspection CHECKLIST

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... You guys are REEEEEEEALLY starting to frighten me !

Remember that it's only a 17 mile trip to a little burg outside of our city limits. It's not like I'm going to Chernobyl or nothin'.

Since it is kinda out in the country, and my last recovery (The ARK) included a "close encounter" with three rattlesnakes, I will be taking my sidearm just in case there's something lurking in or under the trailer.

Barrman

The reason he suggested not hooking up the air is this. The M105 version with the breakaway air line locks the brakes up when air leaves it in a hurry. If there is a leak, the brakes will lock up. So, for an empty trailer and only 17 miles. Unless you just want to. Wait until you get home to try the air brakes out. Otherwise, you could have locked up brakes and more of an adventure than you want going home.

Is this really a recovery or just an excuse to hit the Lowake steak house?

Seth_O

I took nothing but a can of WD-40 and a few simple hand tools on my 200 mile M105 recovery and got lucky. Air brakes worked, lights worked, and the wheels spun freely and held air just fine.

Those are the items you need to function to get it home. Sounds like you know everything you should be checking to determine if it's a good purchase. I was surprised that it took 3 men to lift the front of the trailer off the ground and get it on the back of the deuce (no landing leg on mine.)

onegmjack

They are heavy,2750 pounds I think.I have seen on GL two or three different weights listed for the M105 trailer.Different makers and year models may be the difference.

91W350

USAFF-Cold Warrior... PM me your address and I will send you some shackles. Maybe not be vintage correct, but the bolster trailers we have are loaded with shackles and there seems to be no market for them. Ebay is just flooded, or was when I tried to sell a set. Glen

fyrguy

i will be picking one up with a doge p/u. i am totally new so forgive me, but the way the breaks work, i will not need to do anything to them to allow the wheels to free spin correct? meaning the air is used to apply the pressure to the hydrolic system, so no air, no breaks correct?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of you guys amaze me.. NO, you probably dont need the brakes for the trip home. HOWEVER, doing the brake check as I described allows for 2 things to happen. 1, Check for play in the bearings, which could be a sign of impending doom on the ride home, 2) GET SOME $ OFF THE ASKING PRICE IF THEY DONT WORK,

I guess some of you dont like saving $.

If the brakes lock up, drain the air tank and it's fixed.

onegmjack

I agree with you emmado.Doing the check you are saying is the best way to check the brakes ,bearing and tire rotation.Could be the difference between buying a problem free trailer and a trailer needing bearing and brake work.Having the Deuce with you for the check is a plus.Simple check could be the major factor in what the trailer is worth.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason he suggested not hooking up the air is this. The M105 version with the breakaway air line locks the brakes up when air leaves it in a hurry. If there is a leak, the brakes will lock up. So, for an empty trailer and only 17 miles. Unless you just want to. Wait until you get home to try the air brakes out. Otherwise, you could have locked up brakes and more of an adventure than you want going home.

Is this really a recovery or just an excuse to hit the Lowake steak house?
Barrman:
Excellent thoughts on the safety-locking brakes. I will make a decision on whether or not to connect/check the brakes once it put my eyeballs on the trailer.

This is exactly the kind of "hidden information" that can jump up and bite during a recovery. Thanks for helping bring me up to speed on such details.

As for the Lowake Steakhouse.... I WISH ! That's out the Ballinger highway - US67 to the Northeast. I'll be going out the Big Spring Highway - US87 to the North, to the little community of Carlsbad, TX

Thanks again for the info.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
USAFF-Cold Warrior... PM me your address and I will send you some shackles. Maybe not be vintage correct, but the bolster trailers we have are loaded with shackles and there seems to be no market for them. Ebay is just flooded, or was when I tried to sell a set. Glen
Glen,
Thanks for the offer. Will PM in a bit.

As for the Shackles: I know nothing of what's on the trailer or its safety chains. I may not have been clear earlier, but The ARK - our Deuce - is carrying only ONE front Shackle, but does have the other front Shackle Mount. The Rear of the Deuce - inside the Bumperettes, there are NO Shackles NOR Shackle Mounts. She was formerly a BrushFire Truck and they had removed those when she carried a Tank/Pumper Bed.

[thumbzup]
John

koolex11

I actually did make a checklist. It helps keep all the different lots straight in my head and I am less likely to forget to check things in my excitement! It can be modified for a 105 and maybe it will help!

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I missed the relay valve and air tank inspection. Add your list to the PMCS thats listed in the TM, and you'll have a very comprehensive list of things to check.

Barrman

The reason I know about the steak house is my best friend from the Corps at A&M, Boxcar here on SS grew up at the first house south of the river when you leave the steak house. His parents still live there. Last time I was there, we went up the road to eat.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason I know about the steak house is my best friend from the Corps at A&M, Boxcar here on SS grew up at the first house south of the river when you leave the steak house. His parents still live there. Last time I was there, we went up the road to eat.
Yup!
It's kinda in the "middle of nowhere" yet they have (had?) a grass airstrip nearby and folks would fly in from all over to eat there. Roy Clark (of HEE-HAW and the GRAND OLE OPRY fame) was a notable "regular" - He would fly his Mitsubishi MU-2 (short runway/unimproved airfield capable twin turbo-prop) in whenenver he was in this part of the country for some good grub, then hop over to San Angelo to refuel.

You're making me HUNGRY ! ! !