• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Is Home From Ft. Riley

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first time EUC cleared in 26 days! Drove the eleven hour round trip today for the best looking M105A2 I have ever seen, wood and vinyl! Tried fliping the lunnette, yea right, I will see how it looks on the wrecker before I try that again! Tons of trailers and trucks coming up for auction at Ft. Riley, in the next few weeks, saw guys load batteries into five trucks today and drive them to Missouri!!!! The ones coming up for sale are in really good shape, some photos follow.
James G.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, lots of good trucks and trailers looking for good homes! I bet there will be at least a few Steel Soldiers who are going to rescue them!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to get a photo of it but there is going to be a mint Fuel truck coming up soon, it has pump and hoses and I think only 4200 miles on it, paint is perfect.
James G.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I take it from your last post that you are not going for the fuel truck. Otherwise, I doubt you would have posted about it. Thanks for increasing my competition on the truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you advertise it if you were planning to bid on it? If you are looking to give away money, PM me so I can give you my address. I would bet we'll be competing on it...no worries...you'll probably outbid me...I need to figure in shipping to MD.

jasonjc

I'll out bid you both!!!

If I win the powerball in time :( :cry: :(

That is one nice looking truck. And needs to go to a collector that will take care of it. Not some construction company that will beat the crap out of it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce:
It is a "Public Auction", I have never understood why people on this forum get so upset, these auctions are not a secret! I much rather someone on this forum beat me on a bid than some excavator company that will rag out a mint truck and sell it for scrap in 3-4 years. I don't want to keep secrets from everyone else this is a hobby! If you are out to make money at it I hope you do better than most I have seen trying to sell their toys as a business!!! And I am closer to Ft. Riley and I happen to know Jason doesn't even have a lottery ticket, so I do have a good shot at the tanker.

Sorry about the rant but this is a fun site and a fun hobby, loosen up!

Anonymous :)

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, I understand these are public auctions, but you are wrong to think that, just because they are public, everyone knows about them. I have missed items on these public auctions because I was not watching as carefully as I should have been. Had someone turned me onto the fuel truck that TACTICALTRUCK recently got, I might have unknowingly bid against him. This was my fault for not watching carefully. There is absolutely no need to tell anyone about upcoming auctions. I've said that before and I'll say it again. I strongly believe that most of our brethren agree with me. My feelings are...do your own homework...no need for everyone to advertise for GL and GSA (and other public auctions). If someone hit this list and advertised the M105 you got, thereby drawing more bidders in, you may not have gotten it or you might have paid more. Think about it. Let me ask you a question: for what purpose did you alert this list about the upcoming nice deuce fuel truck? Did you post it because you really want to help others out (who knows who might want such a truck in addition to you?)? If you are sure that everyone already knows about all of the trucks/trailers/etc. out there, then you are wasting bandwidth by posting about public knowledge.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, I am by no means a dealer. I just happen to have a serious addiction to all things green and a patient wife. If you followed me around, you'd end up with a nice truck, because I usually simply try to get my money out of them.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a VERY hard time believing that anyone who has any intention of going for a truck would post it in this way. Why?? Even people with more money than sense don't do this!

It has been said a million times on this site: Tell us when you get it and we'll congratulate you. I don't want to know who I'm bidding against. It tends to change bidding habits.

If there were still live auctions being conducted, things would be different. You knew know who you were bidding against and that's just the way it was. However, while I have a common interest in the MV hobby with most everyone here, my pockets are not that deep. I've got a small budget to buy and repair toys. That means when I see a truck I want, I don't post about it, and I HOPE that no other "do-gooder" does either. All I need to do is alert one other person who hadn't seen it, and I might have to pay way more or lose the truck altogether. And I have lost plenty of trucks in the past. So, why would I post it? This is also why I don't post other trucks to public forums. Even though I am not interested, there is another guy, just like me, on a budget who is probably dreaming about owning it on his budget. Who am I to take his opportunity away from him? I totally understand the urge to share information like this. I have thought several times about posting something that I could not afford to buy. In this case, I might email a close friend about it, but I won't post it on the internet. Does this favor close friends over casual acquaintances/strangers? Sure. I doubt anyone would deny the same behavior. It simply comes down to my not wanting to take part in potentially costing any other "Joe Hobbyist" more money if I can help it.

As for the argument of saving the truck and helping the hobby: Sure, I like to see these trucks preserved as much as the next person, but construction companies have as much right to purchase these trucks as we do. And, they use them as intended. The Army never coddled these trucks like most hobbyists do. And besides, a construction company who uses military trucks can give way more exposure to MV ownership on a daily basis that a single hobbyist can give in a month.

Do I like to hear about neat trucks for sale? ABSOLUTELY! But, I agree with Bruce on this. Do your own homework and don't advertise. They don't need the help.

But, that's just my 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKubu said:
By the way, I am by no means a dealer. I just happen to have a serious addiction to all things green and a patient wife. If you followed me around, you'd end up with a nice truck, because I usually simply try to get my money out of them.
So true! You should see the deuce tractor I have, came from Bruce at a very reasonable price.

Michael

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out an unusually nice MV that one might see. It might help someone on the list find a nice truck they are looking for. And if it makes someone else on the list pay more for it then so be it. On the other hand, I would not talk about something I was going to bid on unless I really needed help in deciding what it was worth to me.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michael said:
I don't see anything wrong with pointing out an unusually nice MV that one might see. It might help someone on the list find a nice truck they are looking for. And if it makes someone else on the list pay more for it then so be it. On the other hand, I would not talk about something I was going to bid on unless I really needed help in deciding what it was worth to me.
OK, here we go... :deadhorse:

There may be a few rare exceptions to my position, but generally I don't like to advertise. I don't buy a great quantitiy of trucks and I am not a dealer, so some would argue that it doesn't or shouldn't matter to me. However, I just don't understand this logic?? I don't really care what anyone pays for a truck I'm NOT going for. I think we seem to agree on that? I DON'T post about trucks I am going for, because it may increase my competition and cost me more or cost me the truck altogether. We seem to agree there too? I would venture to guess most others probably feel the same.

The difference seems to be in the philosophy and application of it. My "golden rule" is "Don't increase competition for others and potentially cost them more money or the truck they want, because I don't like the possibility of it happening to me". Your (and other members) rule seems to be "Others are free to post about trucks I want, which may cost me more and I am free to post about the trucks they want, which may cost them more, but at least everyone knows what's out there." I guess this could certainly be viewed as "fair", although I would argue it's a bit twisted. It's great for everyone to know what's out there, but given the choice of 1) having everyone know about trucks or 2)having everyone who already knows (because they watch the sites religiously like me and my fellow addicts) potentially save some money, I favor saving money. To turn the typical argument against my (and MANY others) position around: "They're public and well-known sites, so why doesn't everyone already know?" In that case, there is no point in telling everyone what they already know.

If I am mis-interpreting your post, please correct me and explain, but that's what I could deduce from it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL told me a min. of 45 days on a first time EUC, but mine cleared in 26! I am happy with my 105 the wood is a little weather worn but the cover is mint.
James G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks