• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 lunette removal

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
squirt it with WD-40 or PB blaster... Let soak in over awhile. Whack the lunnette with a sledge a few times. Squirt again. Let sit. Whack. repeat as needed...

dittle

Try an air chisle with a hammer attachment might also knock the rust loose. I'll have the same project here in a couple of days as I'm picking my 105 up tomorrow.

Barrman

I just did mine Wednesday. I used a hydraulic ram hooked to the lunete ring and up against the top of the landing leg tower. I put pressure on it until the leg tower started to flex. Then I used the biggest sledge my class has and started beating on the lunette. 3 blows and it popped off.

Any of the ideas listed above and in the linked threads will work. Just use what you have around and keep at it.

rizzo

wreckerman893 said:
Try getting it hot as you can with you torch and applying some candle wax to it.
Sounds weird but it works..the heat will suck the wax up into the metal and it will come loose.
A friend of mine swears by beeswax.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lots of good ideas. Heres mine. Soak soak soak. give it time to work Liquid wrench is good. Hit it at the 9:00 or 3:00 position with a sledge hammer. hitting on the side will give it a twisting action. Good luck,, have fun .

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
are they tapered like the lunettes on a water tank trailer?? i took a lunette off a water tank in a junkyard ontop of 3 stacked cars once and it came off really easy. if its tapered you should be able to whack the snot out of it until it breaks loose and should come out real easy

dittle

Just got my 105 today and spent an hour getting the lunette out. Took a piece of metal, placed it b/t the nut and framework of the trailer. Put pressure on the lunette shaft by tightening the nut up against the metal plate. Hooked a log chain to my truck and pulled tight against the lunette with the trailer brakes locked. Beat side to side and up/down with a sledge. Popped right out.

t_lashley

Wow... been at it myself for days. nothing yet. Ive been backing the nut out against a bar, using it for pressure, smacking the bejesus out of the ring, all while using CLP to get into the threads. Where should I hit it with a torch??? The ring??? The housing??? And wont that affect strength
issues???

citizensoldier

Wow... been at it myself for days. nothing yet. Ive been backing the nut out against a bar, using it for pressure, smacking the bejesus out of the ring, all while using CLP to get into the threads. Where should I hit it with a torch??? The ring??? The housing??? And wont that affect strength
issues???
Do what your doing apply heat to the housing and hit the housing with a sledge while applying pressure with the nut against a piece of flat stock behind the nut between the cast arm. It will pop off.. They dont call me trailer ho for nothing...:-D

jimmcld

A couple of wacks with a sledge hammer at 11:00 AND 1;00 worked for me. It's a tapered shaft so all you have to do is jar it loose and it will fall out.

t_lashley

citizensoldier / trailer ho... Thanks for the help, tried the candle wax, never sucked into threads. I think what eventually did it was using the flat stock and nut as a press, combined with penetrating oil and the torch, along with the slesge hammer. It wasnt som much the application of heat, as much as wher to apply the heat. When I hit the lunette I got not result. When I hit the housing BAMMMM. It kicked loose like white on rice. Thank you sir for your help...

citizensoldier

Your welcome.. I have flipped atleast 50 of these on every type of trailer you can think of.. This method works the best. Most of the time when you hit the eye your not hitting square to the taper. The key is to heat the housing just enough for it to expand and not blast it to weaken the metal. The steady applied pressure does the rest.. Glad you got it off.. I now recomend a light sanding and some fresh grease.. :-D Oh and replace that cotter key.. oh and some anti sieze would'nt hurt on them threads..
HO out..