• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 recovery questions.

mattyboy

I am going up on Monday to fort drum to pick up my m105. I will bring floor Jack, fix a flat, rachet straps, spare tire from duece ,and lots hand tools . Trailer was rebuilt3 years ago and looks to be in good shape,I paid more than expected so hoping it goes on easy . My one very important question is. Can I just hook up to the pintle on my pick up and drive away? The trailer has hand brakes on frame. I know on my roll off trucks no air to brakes default

mattyboy

To park position and cant move unless you cage them . Does the same apply for this trailer. Thank s and sorry for split post typing on silly cell is no fun. Wish me luck. Forgot to add will also bring spare duece tire if I have a blowout. Traveling about200 miles home

phil2968

The brakes do not need air to be moved. I hope you have read the the countless threads about trailer recovery with civi trucks. Pintle height can be a big issue. Don't forget your tow lights.
Why not use the deuce to recover it?

Gunzy

The brakes on an M105 are air over hydraulic, I don't believe they will lock without air. I have manually pushed mine around with a little help and never had locked brakes, unless I left park brake levers inguaged. Good luck and enjoy, they are nice little trailers. What are you planning on pulling it with?

gungearz

Hook and go... Usually, we just drop the tail gate and put the magnet remote brake lights in the bed.... Rebuilt 3 years, I would worry about toting it... Just make sure the tires arnt dry rotted....

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook and go... Usually, we just drop the tail gate and put the magnet remote brake lights in the bed.... Rebuilt 3 years, I would worry about toting it... Just make sure the tires arnt dry rotted....
What if the lugnuts are only finger tight ?
Anything leaving a GL lot needs to be inspected before going on a public road or put on another trailer.

SteveKuhn

I like to take a high-Lift jack. That comes in handy for lowering the lunette or any number of other things. Also, check the hubs after a couple of miles.

And for cryan'-out-loud, make absolutely certain that the rear stabilizer leg is pinned or wired up REALLY SOLID -- and that the leg itself is screwed up in (shortened) enough that if it comes un-pinned, the foot won't make contact with the road when it swings down.

Ask the guy who I loaned my trailer to how I know that.

Steve

max1008

if you have time, pull the lunette and turn it upside down. it will give you an extra 2" of height so the trailer wont be so tilted.

Last edited:

91W350

if you have time, pull the pintle and turn it upside down. it will give you an extra 2" of height so the trailer wont be so tilted.

You make it sound so easy! We destroyed a 105 frame with two loaders trying to pull the pintle. Heated it, beat on it, tied a 20 foot chain onto it and took off with my deuce..... That baby was flat stuck in there.

max1008

You make it sound so easy! We destroyed a 105 frame with two loaders trying to pull the pintle. Heated it, beat on it, tied a 20 foot chain onto it and took off with my deuce..... That baby was flat stuck in there.
Ive had a few that were tight. I put a 10' chain around the lunette and other ends around my recovery hooks. drove off at 10mph and give it a good jerk. works every time!