• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Recovery with Deuce - Any special considerations?

x-ray

I won a nice M105 trailer on GL (my first); I plan to make a 150 mile trek (300 mile round trip) to pick it up with my M35A2 at Ft Drum.

I plan on brining all the necessaries for a deuce recovery for possible breakdowns, cell phone, money, tools, etc. But Is there anything special to consider for a M-105 recovery? - Any lessons learned to pass on?

Also - How negatively does an M-105 impact the driveability of a deuce? Especially in snowy conditions?

Thanks for any help and tips you can offer.

dittle

Read the TM on how to back the brakes off incase you have an issue with them. They should work the same as the ones on your Deuce but better to know and not need then need and not know. I don't even know when I have my M105 behind my Deuce so like GoHot said unless you hit a pot hole you probably won't either.

If your trailer has 2 air lines make sure to turn on the shut off valves on your truck for both the service and emergency connections so that the brake system will work correctly. If you only turn on the emergency your brakes will drag regardless (ask me how I know this as I forgot once).

The snow will effect your Deuce more than anything so caution is advised when on it, but you're from NY and probably familiar with it so I'm just stating the obvious.

Snarky

Having had the trailer brakes connected to my deuce, I would personally not connect my trailer brakes to my deuce unless I was carrying a load. My trailer tends to lock up before my deuce, and that may cause dangerous jackknifing in weather conditions, but my truck has super singles and my trailer doesn't, so that influences it a bit.

saddamsnightmare

December 4th, 2009.

XRAY:

Check your trailer systems over really well, particularly check the wheel bearings once you start pulling for temperature rises (indicating need for adjustment and or grease), and allow more stopping or turning distances on snow and ice. Make sure the trailer lights work and I would hook up the air brakes just to have the stooping power, slight though it may be. And, if you don't have one, make up a 35 or 40' air hose, valve and pressure gauge unit and chuck so you can air up your tires either off the deuce emergency glandhand, or the connection inside the cab on the passenger side firewall. Oh, and the trailer will slow you down on hills- it took me 7 hours to go 240 miles in OKla and N. Texas bringing my 105A2 home from Norman,OK.:p

Good luck, be careful, and stay safe,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

jimm1009

I recommend not hooking up the brakes at all until you get it home. The reason is that they shoes could be completely worn out and you would then have metal to metal contact and brake drums are not available at Autozone.
Secondly you don't need them for getting it home.
Just make sure your brake and tail lights work or take some magnetic lights as backup.
I would also jack up one wheel at a time and spin them to check for bad bearings and / or noise.
jimm1009

maplehillfrm

They fit rather nicely on a 16' trailer with an 83" deck.

They also tow pretty good behind a pickup, would be an easier trouble free trip than running the deuce all the way up there,, unless you want the MV time, then nothing compares,,

but for one , I would just take my pickup,a set of magnetic lights and hook it up and go,, good luck with your haul,, kevin is a good guy to work with,pat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks