• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 side-board hardware

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to replace a board on my 105. (I've chosen cedar, by-the-way. If I went with treated pine, those sideboards are going to be heavier than I need I'll experiment with this cedar for now. I know a lot of guys like oak, but Lowes had some nice, straight cedar 1"x4"s).

Anyway, I'm noticing now that the wood on these trailers are not fastened to the vertical up-rights by carraige bolts like I thought. They're some sort of rivet.

Any constuctive advice on how to go about this small task? Where might I find the correct hardware for replacing the old?

Thanks in advance.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones on my fiberglass set are held on by hi-locks. They can be found in any aircraft supply store online and are very easy to use/replace.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if the same fasteners are used with the wood. Are they like pop-rivets?

Can you post a pic and/or a link where these can be purchased? Is there a particular size used, does anyone know?

The dang board busted when the GL guy was using a forklift to lift the side-boards out when I picked the trailer up. It wasn't his fault. I didn't think they'd be so stubborn. Rusty! Anyway, one lower board broke. Not a big deal, but I don't like broken stuff.

sermis

I had one side on my M105 I disassembled. Fiberglass. I thought they were rivets. Drilled several and come to find out they screwed together. Not sure if all are the same or not.

jasonjc

I've got some fiberglass ones and they have machine screws nuts washers and lock washers. I guess it depends on who made them.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fiberglass side-boards are the way to go. Very nice.

I'll study what I have and maybe just ues carraige bolts. Eventually, I'd like to "re-board" all the way around.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch! My first TTIWWP slap! :oops:

Ironicly, I was outside tonight looking at those fasteners and saying, "I should get a picture of these things and post them." (That inner voice, you know).

After close study, I think the best coarse of action is to grind off/drill out these dang rivets and replace everything with carraige bolts. I also realized that the cedar 1"x4" boards I bought from Lowes are going to be sawed into pieces and used in my back-yard fire pit. I am going to go with a complete side-board over-haul using treated pine 1x4s. I've got some staightening to do on the up-rights anyway.

I will post pics of my fastener dilemna tomorrow.