• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105: What to look for?

ratat98

I know, I could do a search and find everything I need, but I'm short on time, and I wanted to give you all something else to reply to today!
I'm in the market for a m105 to pull behind the deuce. I want to use it to store all my tools, fuel tanks, etc. in and get them out of the garage. What are some common problems/things to look for when buying a m105. Also how much would you pay for one in good condition with bows/tarp and siderails? I found one for $600 but I don't really know if theyre worth that. Are they air over hydraulic like the deuce, or just plain air?

Thanks in advance!

-Rat

two.fiveM35

They are air over hydraulic. I have two 105's, the Pribbs Steel one has a new bed that is slightly reenforces compared to th older one, but it sits on a 1967 frame with a single air line. The other one I have is older but sits on a frame that has been updated with a second air line and a reserve air tank for emergency brakes. If there is still air in the tank, the brakes will be locked if not connected to your deuce. If it's been sitting fr a while than you can pull it with whatever. The master sits under the bed and is a pain to check, I've never check mine because I don't pull a load. But I should... $600 seems a little on th high side, but the are getting harder to find with a tarp and do look good behind the deuce.
I use my nicer one to just pull around with the deuce and the older/scrapper one to store 10 new tire that I may use in the future.

91W350

600 sounds high, but the iron price has driven the trailer price up. If it has new tires and a good cover and the pigtail looks new, not many miles involved, 600 might be good. Glen

indy4x4fab

Banned
I agree with glen on this one, I bought mine for 450, just bought a new cover ($200 after shipping) (mine was dry rooted), and had to buy a new wiring harness ($20) (do to it being botcher), and I'll have a hair under 700 dollars, but on the flip side its a nice strait trailer and its been retro fitted with 8 tie downs in the sides of the bed. Like what they did with a bunch of the deuces.

91W350

Those tie downs are really nice to have and not many 105s had them. We had one, but our fork lift guys really tore it up before I got to it. I should say truck drivers operating the fork lift. It was all scrap iron to them. Anyway, I spent a few days pounding out dents and making the tailgate work. It was a very old trailer and I wanted to save it, but gave up. It is on its way to being part of a new import car now. 8(

indy4x4fab

Banned
If you run across anther tail gate for a m105 save it for me. Mine has a few small rust holes in it and will do for now but I would like to fine a better one later on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How soon do you need one?
but I'm short on time
How tall is your garage door?

You can read the Tm in about an hour. Probably take longer than that to get all the replies to this thread. And the TM is correct without opinions.

Price depends on supply and demand. Your demand for now, will probably increase your price. You can get one from Gov liq for Under $200, if you wait long enough, maybe... Then you gotta get it home...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not here in NY either, not recently anyways.

Last one I sold for $500. No cover or bows.

GL is not an option, when you need it now.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Not here in NY either, not recently anyways.

Last one I sold for $500. No cover or bows.

GL is not an option, when you need it now.
Same here in Indy, docs got a couple that he's willing to turn loos of for $550-$1100, and m105 don't get turned loose of out at stout field hardly ever, a lot of m101a1 but VERY RARELY do m105s come out of there.

ratat98

How soon do you need one? How tall is your garage door?

You can read the Tm in about an hour. Probably take longer than that to get all the replies to this thread. And the TM is correct without opinions.

Price depends on supply and demand. Your demand for now, will probably increase your price. You can get one from Gov liq for Under $200, if you wait long enough, maybe... Then you gotta get it home...
Oh I was saying I was too short on time to search this morning. I don't need one right away. It won't be in my garage either, I just want to take all the tools out of my garage and put on the trailer to make more room in my garage for projects. I will count on paying around $600 or so for a good one it sounds like. Are there any other major issues I need to look at before I put money down for one?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the jack on the landing leg(versus the old solid leg).

Also, there is a rear leg(stabilizer) that is real nice, to keep it from tipping backwards when stationary. They can be added later also.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I prefer the folding release handle on the landing gear over the solid one, makes releasing and folding the gear up easier, especially if your doing by yourself. I'll post pics later of what i'm talking about.

91W350

I did not think about the folding handle. They are nice, my current trailer does not have one. You want to keep those plungers lubed though. I bent one at Riley trying to get the stand to release.

3dAngus

If you run across anther tail gate for a m105 save it for me. Mine has a few small rust holes in it and will do for now but I would like to fine a better one later on.
To bad you're so far away. I have a great straight tailgate for a M105A2 I saved for $65 but shipping would be prohibitive. Regrets.

HASSON1911

Since it looks like $600 is a little high what would be an appropriate price for a 105 that has good brakes and tires but a couple rust holes but other than that in good condition. I'm kinda on the fence here too just not in a time crunch.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea how many zillions of M105 series trailers were made, but it seems to be a few zillion, as Uncle Sam has been surplusing them for YEARS, and he is still doing so, and looks like it will stay that way for some time.

If your not in a hurry for one, keep checking GL and find the one you want at the right price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks