• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2.1

KsM715

I had a complete M105a2 with the bed removed (the bed is mounted on treated 4x4's and I park my mower in it) and the tongue from the M105 I cut up to make the bobbed truck. I decided I had enough scrap laying around and could use a dump trailer for gravel/dirt/mulch. I still have some work to do to it and need to get another bed.(glen I hope you still have one or two left)

Attachments

RealCavDog

Hey ! That's pretty cool ! Looks like we had the same kind of day, and now I have a project to try that fixes the problem I just posted about breaking an M101A2 by overusing it for dumping !

Going to the back yard right now to look under my 105 ! It's a super nice one planned to follow a deuce, but OKC's GL has been selling cheap !

Thanks fotr the awesome idea !

Jay

91W350

I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715! I see the nose of a 715!

I think we have a few beds, come steal one. 8) Okay, trade for one... Glen

RealCavDog

How can we be 100% on that 715 ? Just his screen name ! I'm thinking he's tricking us with a 725 ! Could be why he's hiding it behind the garage ! A Gladiator maybe ? I WISH !

Just kidding !

How about a few close up shots of the customizing you did on the pivot points ! Looking at mine, I can see that it's probably pretty straight forward ! [thumbzup]

And thanks for the tip on upgrading my broken project ! Steel beats cast, ANY DAY !

KsM715

100% M715, well 99.9% if you take away for it being FD red.

I dont think you want to see the craptastic welds on the pivots. (I'm no fabricator)
I'll get some better pics in the morning.

Attachments

Last edited:

RealCavDog

Come on Jeff ! They don't deduct for color ! 99.9 is far closer than most I've seen !

And heck, the other is still a prototype in the works ! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I will sure be interested in how you got that fabbed up . Is this an original idea, or did you see something similar, in that size I should say !

KsM715

The only thing similar that I saw was the M101 I have. So I decided to build something similar but has the hinge points parallel to the frame.

(pics coming)

RealCavDog

Thats what I was thinking as I was looking under mine, and of course lining things up on the parallel is critical with that much weight.

Looking forward to your progress and think it's great to see some pretty cool Midwest Engineering ! One of the best fabrication guys I've ever worked with was a great Farmall enthusiast that runs the Fab shop at 4-State Trucks in Joplin, Dave Burkey, and Bryan hired him away from Brunners Fabrication.

That guy was always glad to look at something different than a custom truck, when time allowed, and if you had an idea to run by him, he could see the pros and cons instantly !
I swear he has a countrified C.A.D. system in his brain ! I always called him a Hillbilly Genius in metal !

What always got me was how simple some things could be done, because most of us have a tendency to make things more complicated than they have to be ! I need to K.I.S.S. more ! :doh:

KsM715

Heres some more pics. Bare-in-mind as I said before Im no fabricator and only had my Oxy/Ac. torch and scrap metal left over from the bob job.

I boxed the frames where I welded on the 1/4" plate, then took some 1" solid stock and some 1" I.D. tubing and made the hinges. I plan to drill the tubing and stick some grease zerks in it and drill the ends for retaining pins. Other than that I'll his it with the grinder and flap wheel and clean things up and maybe make some better welds. Right now I only intend to haul gravel from quarry thats only 1/4 mile from my house on a gravel road or mulch from the wholesale landscape supplier thats a couple miles away on a blacktop county road. There will be no loaded highway pulling and I do intend to check it everytime to see where might start to fail.

Oh I plan on putting the airlines back on so Ill have trailer brakes, but I doubt I'll need them since Ill be doing the pulling with the M818, not the bobbed deuce.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The joy of having the brakes up and working is that once you pull the pins, you can lock up the trailer brakes with the trolley brake on the 818 and dump it without ever leaving the cab. Dang, now you have me thinking about putting a hinge in the middle of one of my M105s.

KsM715

The joy of having the brakes up and working is that once you pull the pins, you can lock up the trailer brakes with the trolley brake on the 818 and dump it without ever leaving the cab. Dang, now you have me thinking about putting a hinge in the middle of one of my M105s.

Ive been thinking of that, I haven't come up with a way to "pin" it down for travel yet, but Im thinking of some sort of spring loaded latch tied to a pull rope and lever so I could just lock the brakes, pull the rope and back-up, all from the cab.

RealCavDog

Excellent ! Now the next thing will be getting the center of balance on the bed as close as possible ! Thats what makes the 101's so easy to use ! I'm betting you've already got that worked out !

Thanks again for sharing those great close upshots ! Looks pretty good to me ! [thumbzup]

Will be watching your progress as you go Man !

Jay

KsM715

Excellent ! Now the next thing will be getting the center of balance on the bed as close as possible ! Thats what makes the 101's so easy to use ! I'm betting you've already got that worked out !

Jay

Uh, nope. I cut the tongue off about 6" forward of the spring hanger for the bob job so Thats all I had to work with and just went with it. If the brakes dont hold well enough to push up a full load of gravel I guess I'll just get out and put some chocks behind the tires and try that. If that doesnt work and I end up breaking the hinges or bending the heck out of it, Im not out much and I'll just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your trailer brakes work as they should and you use the trolley, they will hold but good. I used to play with the trolley and the M105 when I had the deuce tractor, once the trailer brakes lock, they are quite locked.

tm america

[thumbzup]
Ive been thinking of that, I haven't come up with a way to "pin" it down for travel yet, but Im thinking of some sort of spring loaded latch tied to a pull rope and lever so I could just lock the brakes, pull the rope and back-up, all from the cab.[/QUOTENice work so far.. i like it... If i were you i would use an air cylinder to move some pins to lock it down.. That way you can run a front axle switch with another air line to the cylinder so you can unlock it and lock the brakes from the cab ...This could work out to be a sweet setup

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks