• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Brake Air Diaphragm

Snarky

I checked the classifieds, OD Iron, and Saturn Surplus, and I can't seem to locate a source for replacement air diaphragm for my M105A2's master cylinder. I took it all apart because I heard it leaking air, and there's a crack in the rubber.

The part number is "Midland 2340" google searching turned up squat since 'Midland' is such a common name. I figure Midland might have been a rubber or trailer parts company and nothing promising came up under that except a company that makes dump trailers.

Anyone have any ideas? I mean, I don't really hook my trailer brakes up any ways, as it is usually empty and doesn't brake correctly as such, but I would like the ability to use them if I needed to. i was thinking about getting some rubber and trying to create my own copy of this thing, with a heat gun, but the pressure versus surface area here is a bit tough, it certainly needs an internal weave structure.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Midland makes all sorts of brake parts. I know Memphis had the whole diphram assemebly for sale a while back. (the rubber thing with the spring and the housing) If you cant find just the rubber, get the whole assembly.

Also, give these guys a call, they should be able to help you with the Midland part.
Automotive Brake Co of Newburgh Inc
maps.google.com
508 Temple Hill Road
New Windsor, NY 12553-5512
(845) 561-6280

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the early trucks back in the 50ies used a flat diaphragm like that. Find a good heavy truck store and they should be able to get one. I would guess that some where, there are some military repair Kits for that. Midland is an air valve/air brake component Mfg company today. Also go to the parts guys at a heavy truck dealer that actively uses midland parts. They are wide spread, but the 105 stuff isn't a real hot item today. But a good parts guy will tell if its still a good number or not.

Snarky

Some of the early trucks back in the 50ies used a flat diaphragm like that. Find a good heavy truck store and they should be able to get one. I would guess that some where, there are some military repair Kits for that. Midland is an air valve/air brake component Mfg company today. Also go to the parts guys at a heavy truck dealer that actively uses midland parts. They are wide spread, but the 105 stuff isn't a real hot item today. But a good parts guy will tell if its still a good number or not.
It's bowl shaped, about 5" across.

It's raining today so I don't really wanna mess with the trailer today, I'll deal with tomorrow and check that phone number.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They changed them then. My old 105 had a flat ones. If its a bowel shaped one, take it and the spring to a heavy truck place. It probably uses a standard brake type diaphragm. It might be an over the counter item. They come in several sizes. good Luck

Truckie

I'm having the same problem and I was able to determine the following from the markings on the diaphragm (see Picts);
Brake Air Chamber Diaphragm Bendix PN 201271 NSN 2530-00-737-7783

I have found a source -fleetpride londonderry, NH has them $25.00 each 30 day plus delivery; has anyone else found a source?

Attachments

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn's uses the regular brake diaphragm (available at any heavy truck store). Truckie's uses the earlier stye. The heavy truck store should be able to order it from Midland or Bendix, if they still make them.