• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105a2 questions

I was thinking of trying for an m105 trailer to go with the deuce.

I see that there are several manufacturers of these trailers. Pribbs, Eastern Technologies, and Turtle Mountain are the three I've come across so far. Are any of these more desirable than the others?

Thanks guys

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one from each manufacture. Pibbs and Turtle Mountain were original manufacturers. Eastern, I believe, rebuilt them. I have an '09 rebuild. No real difference, the newer/rebuilt units use a little lighter gage of metal for the bed. They all work fine. Go for a rebuilt unit, Tires, lights, and plumbing will be in good shape. Bid low.

jasonjc

The newer Pibbs beds have extra side supports. I think these were the rebuilds, some have had problem with the side racks fitting on these I think.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The main thing for me is getting one with the upgraded dual air brake hoses, the one man 2 wheel landing leg, fiber glass sides, gates and aluminum bows.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only ever seen one M105 in person, and that is the one I currently own. It's a 1966 Johnson Furnace Co. manufacture (I'm not as familiar with the different ones as you appear to be). I'm sure my trailer received a few upgrades from the military later in life as it has the 2 wheel landing leg, fiber glass sides, and the aluminum bows. though it is still the older style single air line. I believe it had been used as generator trailer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396881129.462900.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407856608.532127.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407855859.295289.jpg

Gunzy

I have a Pibbs that was O/Hed in 2009 by VSE. It has fiberglass sides, aluminum bows, 2 cargo covers and dual air lines in Utah. What are you looking to pay?

I have a Pibbs that was O/Hed in 2009 by VSE. It has fiberglass sides, aluminum bows, 2 cargo covers and dual air lines in Utah. What are you looking to pay?
In the 500 dollar range. I won some ammo cans that I have to pick up next week, so I figure if I can get an m105 cheap from the same base I'll go ahead and do it.

The main thing for me is getting one with the upgraded dual air brake hoses, the one man 2 wheel landing leg, fiber glass sides, gates and aluminum bows.
I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to these trailers - on a scale of 1 to 10, where would you rate the importance of the 2 wheel landing leg?
I guess the single wheeled ones take two people?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wd40 or your favorite lube in the pockets makes a world of difference...
Actually had to get the rotary file out and open the metal. Still tight after that. The other rebuild I had, Soldier B beat the metal back w/ a ball peen.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to these trailers - on a scale of 1 to 10, where would you rate the importance of the 2 wheel landing leg?
I guess the single wheeled ones take two people?
The old style, single wheel, landing gear locking pin handle has to be pulled straight towards the rear of the trailer to release the lock pins. The newer style has a lock pin handle that pivots up to pull the pins and is a lot easier to operate by yourself. It also locks into place so you don't need to hold the release handle back to keep the pins released as you do with the older style.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what the military was thinking with the big wheel, non-adjustable landing gear. I guess they always thought there would be a team of soldiers always standing around when they hooked/unhooked.

If you buy one with the big wheel, plan on a upgrade or at least invest in a high-lift jack.

Piper Cub

The big single wheel legs are really a bad design. Holding 300lbs up while trying to direct the person in the truck is not my idea of fun.

Of all the M105a2's I've had the only one I just didn't like was a 2008 VSE rebuild. One side had a fiberglass sideboard and the other had an old wood one that had been put in and then beat down with a sledge hammer to make it fit. It needed to come out and I tried heat, oil, wax, and hammering for over a week to no avail. I had the entire trailer up in the air by that sideboard on the end of the forklift and finally it popped free and put real nice wrinkles on the thin metal they used. I've had mid 60s trailers that I flipped upside down to cut up and then flipped them back them to dump scrap in and the beds were totally unchanged until I dumped the axle on them. Also on the VSE I think one side was made longer than the other because the tailgate was always a major pain to get closed. It was the best looking trailer I ever got but it was not nearly the quality of the '87 and older trailers.

rustystud

Speaking of aluminum bows for the M105. Does anyone know who sells them ? I have the steel ones and their shot (rusted through) .
I forgot to mention the fiberglass sides also.
Thanks guys.

The Stig

So no one knows who sells the aluminum bows and fiberglass sides ?

I just purchased a 1967 M105A2 and have been having a difficult time finding anyone that does parts for these. Just seen a few places have some of the more common parts like wiring, air lines, and data tags but no bows. I think eastern surplus has covers but I didn't see anything else listed on their site. I haven't gotten as far as calling around to find out what places have that they don't have advertised. If I come across anything I will be more than happy to PM you the details.