• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 trailer question

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Im dragging home a M105A2 from PA tommorrow.. About a 4 hour drive.. Should I be converned about the wheel bearings and the like? Trailer is in EXCELLENT shape, looks brand new.. It'a a late 1980's model that I scored from GL... Any concerns Im overlooking, or am I just being paranoid.. I have magnetic tow lights, pintle hitch, and I think my Dodge 1500 will be able to handle it..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that it would be just fine Mark. After the first 10 miles check the hubs for heat. if the paint is smoking then you might have a problem. I've bought or traded my way into probably 2 dozen trailers and never had a problem. Unlike a deuce which can have a gear oil leak and wash out the bearings, the M105 has only grease, a good thing. Just remember its got a high center of gravity and weights 2500#. Should be an effortless tow for the Dodge. Remember to make certain that the emergency brakes are off. If it has a tarp, I'd take the time to remove it unless you need it to cover other stuff. Also, bring duct tape. The magnetic lights may not be stable on the top of the M105 tailgate and thats about the only place to put them. Unless I'm hauling something in the trailer, I put the tailgate down and suspend it with the chains for a better surface for the magnetic lights.

citizensoldier

I know the trailer you talking about. Your just being paranoid.. Just check the hubs after a bit and make sure the pariking brake is off and released. The trailer you bought can be pulled to Cali without a problem.. :drool: [thumbzup] :jumpin: 8)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bought mine in Texas and it had brand new brakes and had just been serviced. I have towed it thousands of miles just as I bought it and I even welded a 2" hitch to the tongue using a drop down to make it haul level behind my little truck. This was before I owned the duece and it pulls great with a little (1/2 -3/4 ton) truck.

Scrounger

You’ll probably find that the safety chains will be to short. Just use a couple of lengths of 3/8” chain and some shackle bolts. The rings that the hold the safety chains on the trailer are big enough for the shackle bolts. It’s always a good idea to tape down the air line, unused power cord and the unused safety chains. If you really want to get ambitious pull the cotter pin and loosen the nut holding the lunette, it will take a good sized crescent wrench. Hit the ring with a hammer and rotate it. If you have a high enough hitch it will run level behind your truck. The ones that I have flipped run level behind my K3500.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my 105's had the lunette bent straight up with a section of the frame just past the landing wheel mount. I cut it off at the end of the bent part and welded part of a mobile home tongue under the remaining A frame front tongue. It worked really well, made hitch height right for a normal; pickup, has a jack, and 2 5/16 ball.
Regards Marti

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it home today, 300 miles, no problems. Bearings didnt even heat up... Was doing 75 MPH with it. Actually, it was a 1993 manufacture date... And had all 4 sideboards.. And all new wiring and lights.. Was just serviced before it got sent to DRMO. :)

One interesting note, it has 4 of the cargo tie downs put in when it got to the unit.. They actually did a GOOD job installing them. Made me wonder if they were factory, but upon closer inspection, they werent.. Im a happy guy..

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is your trailer #3601 at Chambersburg? That one was parked next to the M105 I picked up last tuesday from there. It was the nicest trailer I think I have ever seen, and was disapointed when I found out it had already closed :cry: If it is yours I am glad it got a good home.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"Volvo-built for MV life"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks