• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061A1 trailer question

DWagg

I know this isn't a 5 ton question but it's pulled by 5 tons so I figured this is the best place to get an answer. On the M1061A1 trailers, to pull one , empty, with a truck without air. IS there a relatively easy way to disable the brakes just to move one, from point a to point b, without dragging the tires?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brakes do not need to be "disabled". They are not spring brakes. Towed several with F350.
They are a little heavy.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If it has been hooked up to air in the recent past, the emergency can lock the brakes, there are 2 little air tanks by the MC just open the drains. I would be very careful pulling one down the highway w/o air. I brought mine home from Ft Riley behind my K3500 no problem pulling on back roads but one of the small towns I went through, dropped from 65 to 25 with a 90 turn. Everything held together but tweaked the end of the frame rails which caused the step bumper to be about 1.5" lower on one side. I would not do it again!
It is Ok behind the deuce and great behind my 818. I ended up mounting my AAR mobile shop office on mine, so I could haul stuff in the deuce.

Last edited:

Jericho

Good Trailers, well built, will wig wag a little at 70 on the interstate, Pull wonderfully behind a M 35 or 109, added a set of extension, loading ramps hung on the tie down rings and use it to haul a Gama Goat or my f 250.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I hope that this isn't another one of those "can I tow it with my pickup truck".....answer is not on the highway. You can move it, you just can't safely stop it at highway speed.

Jericho

I tow mine quite regularly with my F 250 Ford superduty, haul full size pickups on it, no problem, just plan your stops and use common sense, Brakes work great when I tow it with my M -109A3, would not recommend a newbie who has never towed do it but I have had no problems, Working on and adapter to use the brakes when behind my ford.

tobyS

I tow mine quite regularly with my F 250 Ford superduty, haul full size pickups on it, no problem, just plan your stops and use common sense, Brakes work great when I tow it with my M -109A3, would not recommend a newbie who has never towed do it but I have had no problems, Working on and adapter to use the brakes when behind my ford.
Why wouldn't a hydraulic surge brake work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks