• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 6x6 Camper?

OldDuke6

A friend and I were hashing out ideas, and I know PlanBSupply says they can do something like this...but has anyone had it done?

And has has anyone done a 6x6 of the M1070?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It CAN be done, but you will wind up having to get an oversized equipment trip ticket for each state you plan on driving it in (and those permits are usually only for three days). Even though diesel is relatively cheap right now the HET drinks a lot of it, so your driving expenses are going to be a lot more than in a smaller vehicle. The cool factor is high, but your pockets will need to be deep!

Augdog1964

It CAN be done, but you will wind up having to get an oversized equipment trip ticket for each state you plan on driving it in (and those permits are usually only for three days). Even though diesel is relatively cheap right now the HET drinks a lot of it, so your driving expenses are going to be a lot more than in a smaller vehicle. The cool factor is high, but your pockets will need to be deep!
Why would you have to get an oversize permit? The M1070 is tall, but its no wider than regs allow... its 8 foot 5 wide...

I agree with the fuel comment... WOW it would chew you up... and the speed of 45 MPH would make it take forever on the way...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If plains stay the same, This spring I will be building a 6x6 HET with a crane and a 5t cargo bed with bows and cover. Will be doing away with #4 axle, replacing it with #2 (there is a reason for this), also doing away with the two winches behind the cab, no code name yet.

OldDuke6

Why would you have to get an oversize permit? The M1070 is tall, but its no wider than regs allow... its 8 foot 5 wide...

I agree with the fuel comment... WOW it would chew you up... and the speed of 45 MPH would make it take forever on the way...
I agree, I think it would be awesome. But there's got to be a way to make the top end faster..

I often wonder if someone has ever done something like this to one.

this is based off a M923a1.
image.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

hot rod deuce

I think It would be super awesome. If you are worried about fuel you should not be talking military vehicles any way. Dave is right, HET is no wider than a semi and no taller. I have collector plates on mine so in Minnesota its almost as easy to get around as RV plates. I was going to build a camper rig then decided build a sweet tow unit to pull with my HET. I think dropping the trailer and having a rig to drive to get things and leave camp set up would be key. Plus you would have room to take a jeep or hmmwv with as well.

StormCruzzer

I agree, I think it would be awesome. But there's got to be a way to make the top end faster..

I often wonder if someone has ever done something like this to one.

this is based off a M923a1.
View attachment 608104View attachment 608105View attachment 608106View attachment 608107View attachment 608108

I know I'm pulling up an old thread, but do you know who built this and how they dealt with potential articulation problems?!? This is extremely similar to a vehicle that I'm designing as a camper

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 Point the body......The Unimog and others usually do a 3 point mount...Engines are usually 3 point mounted already. I don't see why the same would not work with a truck like this. Just havet to build your own triangle mounts. 1 on the front...hard mount the middle...1 on the rear. Usually the cab also gets a 3 point mount too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks