• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Stalling problem

Rick007

I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I purchased a M1070 out of the Fontana GL site. The one I have has a total of 748 miles on it. It went through the rebuild program in 2004. Fortunately I have a heavy duty wrecker and towed it backwards 600 miles back to the real Northern California. Of course disconnecting the front drive shaft. It has had some maintenance since the filters are dated 08/2011. My problem is it stalls when it downshifts into 1st gear. It just plain turns off. When I first took it out the audible alarm would sound but no warning lights came on or gauges were out of normal while driving. However when I came to a stop on the final downshift It would shut off. It started right up until yesterday.At the busiest intersection in our small town of Willow Creek it stopped and wouldn't start. It would have been really bad if it wasn't such a cool truck. While I directed traffic around the beast I sent an employee to get a truck to just pull it out of the street. We hooked up and as soon as the truck started to move the alarm came on and I tried to start it and it fired up. I pulled it over the shoulder of the road and it stalled. So I fired it up again It didn't stall it stayed running and I drove it back to the shop about 1/2 mile away. When I was pulling into the shop the alarm went off again and I could feel it derate. when I stopped it stayed running. This is supposed to be at the Weaverville 4th of July parade. I'm hoping someone out there has had this experience and can pin it down for me. The diagnostics says code 25 *(no codes). However I also notice the Check gauges and Check engine lights dont come on for the 5 seconds after started. HEEEEEEEEEELP!!! aua Hope to turn this into :D. Thanks Rick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the 12V is not drooping or cutting out due to bad batteries, I would suspect the DDEC system. I would reseat all the connectors using dielectric grease.

Rick007

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I took the connectors off the DDEC system they were very clean with no corrosion at all. At first I thought it might be oil pressure sending unit since it did it when it shifted into first gear and RPMs dropped rapidly. The gauge showed pressure but this thing has low pressure at idle. book says 5psi. The pressure switch is inexpensive so I thought Id throw that on today. I looked for ground straps I only found 2 on the drivers side down by the starter. One went to the frame the other to the cab. I'm going to look for bad connections and speed sensors today as well. Thanks Rick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -20 manual discusses loose wires on the engine run switch. I don't think DDEC is programmed to shut the engine off due to low/no oil pressure, only sound the check engine light/warning. DDEC has it's own pressure sensor.

Rick007

It runs great very smooth. No rough running at all. No loud noises from Injector Pump. No smoke. What is the -20 manual? Im guessing its the last 2 digits of a long manual number? Just got the oil pressure switch. Total shot in the dark with absolutely no experience that this is the problem. If I were flying a plane it would be flying blind. LOL. Thanks ever so much for the replies I really appreciate it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "-20" is the unit maintenance manual. Full nomenclature is "TM9-2320-360-20-1" downloadable from a Google search thanks to member Igor Chudov. Most other manuals are available as well, such as the -10 operators. Spend some time reading, lots to be learned.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the risk of ticking off some very whiny members on here did you read the manuals on how to operate the truck? -10 is operators manual.

Probably a good thing to look at any and all manuals as some even have troubleshooting guides in them. :)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh no, ke5eua is involved! Better just shoot it and put it out of it's misery. Actually, page 338 of the -20 has a good list of all the things to check for "cranks won't start". Faulty pulse wheel, wtf is that???

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Faulty pulse wheel, wtf is that???
If I were to make a guess it is the wheel around something rotating that will produce a pulse in something like a Hall Effect sensor. Crankshaft, anything spinning like that or even the wheels have ABS wheels (rings).

Just a guess.

Rick007

Ok have an update. We installed a new oil pressure switch and changed the fuel filter just in case the fuel turned to algea in the filter. So this time we just started the rig and let it run. After approx 20 minutes it just shut off all by itself. It is 100 degrees outside so I'm done with it today until the sun goes down. I cannot seem to find anything about a pulse wheel. I cant find a location for one or a cam sensor or any sensor. How does this thing go? leave it to the govt to leave me stranded in Bosnia LOLaua. At least I was smart enough not to drive it into a busy intersection for it to stall out.!!!!!!

ke5eua

Ok have an update. We installed a new oil pressure switch and changed the fuel filter just in case the fuel turned to algea in the filter. So this time we just started the rig and let it run. After approx 20 minutes it just shut off all by itself. It is 100 degrees outside so I'm done with it today until the sun goes down. I cannot seem to find anything about a pulse wheel. I cant find a location for one or a cam sensor or any sensor. How does this thing go? leave it to the govt to leave me stranded in Bosnia LOLaua. At least I was smart enough not to drive it into a busy intersection for it to stall out.!!!!!!
Hey that last part hurts...

I had the oil thinning issue when driving and the check engine and gauge lights and alarm would start going off.

I hope you get it figured out, I was running her pretty easy when she stalled on me at the worst possible moment.

It seemed like we had gone through all of her issues but she through a curve ball at me and gave me the middle finger.

Rick007

I'm going to change the oil tomorrow just for new maintenance. I'm also going to check the fuel tank vents. If they are plugged then it would cause a suction condition that would make it starve for fuel. I highly doubt either will fix the problem. However I will know what its not. Thanks for the replies anything can help. The sure fire fix is I win the lottery and pay technician to learn how to make it go LOL.

DrillerSurplus

I'm going to change the oil tomorrow just for new maintenance. --.
As is posted on several threads these Detroits like straight 40 weight oil, not a multi weight and are sensitive to the ash content. The 40 weight may actually raise the idle pressure quite a bit depending on what is in truck now. Chevron's Delo 100 40 weight has been the standard for many fleet owners for a long time. It is available in lots of locations, O'Reillys Auto used to carry it & many of the marine stores too. The Delo 400 is more available, but has a much higher ash content -almost twice that of Delo 100.

The Detroit Diesel Engine Care attachment is anecdotal from a longtime Detroit owner, and the other is MTU's Fluids and Lubricants Specifications which includes the older 2 strokes.
View attachment DELO 100 Engine Oils PDSDetail 235118.pdfView attachment MTU DETROIT OIL SPECS A001061_35E.pdf

The Chevron Delo product sheets.

View attachment DELO 400 Engine Oils PDSDetail 235117.pdfView attachment DELO 100 Engine Oils PDSDetail 235118.pdf

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey that last part hurts...

I had the oil thinning issue when driving and the check engine and gauge lights and alarm would start going off.

I hope you get it figured out, I was running her pretty easy when she stalled on me at the worst possible moment.

It seemed like we had gone through all of her issues but she through a curve ball at me and gave me the middle finger.

I don't think he was picking on you Mike. His first drive it stalled on him in an intersection. ;-)

Rick007

M1070 on the road again. After banging my head on the truck repeatedly, I wised up and towed it to a fellow I know who has computers that can hookup to the DDEC. What was throwing everybody is it would start and run then shut off after about 20 to 30 minutes. The computer was taken off and checked for corrosion underneath. The wires were all checked for proper ground etc. Then the computer finally wouldn't talk to the laptop. They as well as I thought it was the computer. Although these computers usually just die and not repeatedly come back to life to mess with you. I was able to find the parts supplier and repair facility for the HET in Wisconsin. I sent them my computer and they confirmed that it was dead. I was able to get one from them and It arrived here Friday. We installed it and I was able to drive it without alarms buzzing and it dying. It was a nice experience. No it was a freaking over the top great experience!!!!!. So its fixed and it was the computer. It goes to its first veterans fundraiser on Thursday. :p.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks