• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

Trackiron

All the manuals are posted on here - have you looked through them? THe front of TM9-2320-360-20-3 has a bit of troubleshooting but its a preface to the engine controller.
All the manuals are also at: www.liberatedmanuals.com/
I will try to find the one that contains the schematic.

trackhunter

Transfer case Making oil? M 1070 HET

HELP my transfer case is heating up on my HET 1070 i checked the fluid level. A lot of oil is running out the filler hole (like 4 gallons). upon further inspection this item i have circled has a large crack in the flange in the top side. Does anyone know what this is? it has several lines running in and out sits directly above the rear output shaft,and i don't think its the transfer case oil pump, that arrow is pointing just above it. I cannot find a parts breakdown anywhere.

20150802_204842.jpg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case oil pump is on the back of the transfer case near the top. Below that is the auxiliary power steering pump. If you're loosing oil there, check your power steering reservoir level.

Low power steering fluid level is hard to hear as a whining pump sounds like the blower on the HET. :)

Also, TM 9-2320-260-24P is the parts manual for the truck. It has exploded parts diagrams and part numbers.

trackhunter

Thanks Castle Bravo yes the auxiliary power steering pump is dumping fluid into the transfer case enough that it blew the rear seal. By the looks of the bottom of the case someone had the truck out on the tank course. It looks like it has been high centered on a cement barrier. It has pushed the transfer case up high enough to break the auxiliary power steering pump off on a piece on a piece of angle iron that supports the frame.

turbett1

I am currently working on a M1070 at work and it is over charging the expensive batteries, with a meter Im reading about 18V off of the 12V alternator and about 33V from the 24V alternator anyone have any suggestions? Ive read about the charging systems being tied together just don't understand how, ive also read about the regulators being adjustable but I cannot find where to adjust it. Please help!

DrillerSurplus

I am currently working on a M1070 at work and it is over charging the expensive batteries, with a meter Im reading about 18V off of the 12V alternator and about 33V from the 24V alternator anyone have any suggestions? Ive read about the charging systems being tied together just don't understand how, ive also read about the regulators being adjustable but I cannot find where to adjust it. Please help!
The electrical trouble shooting starts on page 2-360 of TM 9-2320-360-20-1 Unit Maintenance dated May 2007. The overcharging alternators troubleshooting starts on page 2-466. The complete TM's are on this site, but I didn't see them in the TM section so I uploaded the electric troubleshooting pages. The M1070 TM's (and many others!) are also available @ http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

View attachment Electric Troubleshooting from TM-9-2320-360-20-1 M1070 2007 UNIT MAINTENANCE.pdf

turbett1

Awesome! thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for, I did locate the adjustments but neither seemed to change anything, from looking at the diagnosis flow charts it seems I may have a bad 24V alt or regulator, need to perform a few of the tests in the TM to confirm though, thanks again for linking me to this TM I have searched on SS through the TM's and could not find this exact one.

DrillerSurplus

Glad it helped.

I know the TM's are on here somewhere. I already had the M1070 TM's from liberatedmanuals and elsewhere, but I downloaded another batch from SS into a separate folder to make sure I wasn't missing one or a later edition of one I had. I'm guessing they were in one of the posts on a thread related to the HET.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It seems that one of the weak spots in the m1070 electrical system is the bank of circut breakers right there just to the right of the driver , on the edge of the dog house, out of 5 trucks that I have dealt with, 3 had/have circut breaker issues, I think it is just sticking circut breakers, when a electrical issue decides to present it self, (no gauges, lights, ect.) the first thing I do is smack the dog house right above the CBs with the side of my fist, after a smack or two, the electrical issue is do longer a issue. I know that "smacking the dog house with your fist" is not in the fix it TM, but ought to be, just like hitting a stuck starter with a hammer should be, or hitting the PCB with something.

glepaco

Hi Goodguyzy,

I have a problem with the M1070. I`m getting engine oil in the air system. When I drain the coalescing filter, there is engine oil mixed with water coming out. You can see it spitting out of drain valves of the after cooler and air dryers. What could be a possible problem? I also see oil leakage mark at the back of the compressor. Is there any one who has a good used or new compressor? My air filter was dirty, so I replaced it a few days ago. I didn`t check yet if it is already fixed, how we change the dirty air filter. Maybe that could be a possible problem, don`t know. Do you know what we can do with this issue. After driving about 750 miles I need to refill about 3-4 gallons of engine oil. I hope you can help me with this issue.
Thank you in advance.

HETvet

Oil consumption is going to happen because of the Positive crank case ventilation system; slobber tubes Comming off the valve covers. Block off the smaller diameter hose that goes to the air box comming from the exhaust. The air compressor is driven off the fuel pump(injection pump). There is no engine oil that gets circulated through. What drains out of the coalescing filter is water, compressor oil, and some of the filter medium. You have a turbo shaft seal that is ether worn out or well on its way to have engine oil in the aftercooler. Take off the after cooler and clean it out, rebuild or replace the turbo.

What at you have is several issues. Keep in mind though the 2 stroke engine is no longer around because of emissions. A big part of that is how much oil it consumes from combustion and crank case ventilation. "If it's not leaking, it doesn't have any oil in it" is the saying we have about these things during my time in the military

glepaco

Oil consumption is going to happen because of the Positive crank case ventilation system; slobber tubes Comming off the valve covers. Block off the smaller diameter hose that goes to the air box comming from the exhaust. The air compressor is driven off the fuel pump(injection pump). There is no engine oil that gets circulated through. What drains out of the coalescing filter is water, compressor oil, and some of the filter medium. You have a turbo shaft seal that is ether worn out or well on its way to have engine oil in the aftercooler. Take off the after cooler and clean it out, rebuild or replace the turbo.

What at you have is several issues. Keep in mind though the 2 stroke engine is no longer around because of emissions. A big part of that is how much oil it consumes from combustion and crank case ventilation. "If it's not leaking, it doesn't have any oil in it" is the saying we have about these things during my time in the military

20160603_182755.jpg20160603_182738.jpg20160603_180932.jpg20160603_180922.jpg20160603_180906.jpg20160603_180858.jpgHi HETvet, thank you very much for your response and advise. Which one of the hoses do you mean. There is a small metal hose (duct) coming from the turbo (between the turbo and the air inlet. There is a small leakage there. Do you mean that one? Thank you for all your help which we really appreciate.

HETvet

HETvet

View attachment 626430View attachment 626431View attachment 626432View attachment 626433View attachment 626434View attachment 626435Hi HETvet, thank you very much for your response and advise. Which one of the hoses do you mean. There is a small metal hose (duct) coming from the turbo (between the turbo and the air inlet. There is a small leakage there. Do you mean that one? Thank you for all your help which we really appreciate.
the EGR duct is the top one on the air filte box that goes under the cab. It connects to the exhaust on the stack. I miss spoke when I was speaking about oil in the aftercooler. I had a truck with a blown turbo at work I was working on. The 8V92 dosent have an aftercooler system. Though I would like to see the results of one being installed on a het

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks