• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 vs m920

Andy1234

Main difference?

When they first released the bulk of the M915-920 series as surplus a few years ago, you could get a 920 for under $5k out of Camp Shelby and drive it home.

That's not gonna happen with a 1070.

Andy

trukhead

It's a land locomotive. I bet it would work great crossing Australia pulling a land train. Or using it and its dedicated trailer for moving houses and such. If I was in the business of moving houses, I'd give it a wurl.:roll:8):driver::jumpin:rofl:doghead::tin hat::burn::hammer:

Ord22

The M1070 has a electronic Detroit diesel 8V92 engine with a Allison Automatic trans. Great trucks!! They made them with the short nose for turning reasons. The M911 had problems pulling the M1. It had detroit 8V92 Engine with a allison auto. The trailers kept blowing tires because of the weight of the tank. This is why they revamped the trailer with the smaller tires and had a system designed on the trailer to turn with the steering of the truck. The gearing in the trans M911 wasn't up to the weight of the M1's. It wore out those trans all the time. I should know, I use to replace a many trans!!! The turning radius of the M911 long nose was hard to turn in tight places. The new M1070 has 16L Catapillars in them now, sweet!! You're gonna pay some serious money them. Look at my avatar, awesome!!

Last edited:

powersmoke18

hetts are cool trucks. but they are a dedicated truck heavy haul only way to job specific. the m920 is a better choice for all around use. you can move flatbeds and lowboys with minimal modifications. however...... buy a hett and shorten it up a bit?? that would be one heck of a haul truck!!! $1 to the first guy to do it!!

TadB

A 1070 HETT has to have permits to be driven on the road with out a load? A friend of mine has one. We drove it home from TN with no problem. I know for a fact the truck isn't over 12' wide and not over 13' 5" high. So what's the permit for?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A wide load is anything over 8'

I still would take a m911 over a m1070, being over width and all, the m911 is the last of the good looking, REAL truck LOOKING MILITARY TRUCKS, sorta like the Diamond Ts, Federals, Brockways, ect. of WW2

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1070 HETT has to have permits to be driven on the road with out a load? A friend of mine has one. We drove it home from TN with no problem. I know for a fact the truck isn't over 12' wide and not over 13' 5" high. So what's the permit for?
From the U.S.D.O.T. website ;
[h=3]FEDERAL SIZE REGULATIONS FOR COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES (CMVs)The Federal Government first enacted size regulations for CMVs with the passage of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. This Act provided a maximum vehicle width of 96 inches (2.44 meters) on the Interstate highway system. Subsequently, the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1976 increased the allowable width for buses to 102 inches (2.6 meters). The Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) of 1982 extended the same width requirement of 102 inches to commercial trucks. At the same time, the STAA expanded the highway network on which the Federal width provision applied from the Interstate to the National Network (NN) of highways.[/h]

flashgordon

Good Job Porky, You beat me to it!
102" wide is legal! Almost every trailer built nowadays is 102" wide

Yes it may be slow....so stay in town and look cool!
If you wanna speed....buy a peterbilt!

M920's are tough.. but HET's look awesome and are tough too!
From memory.. I think The HET GVW(231,000) is 91,000lbs more than M920(140,000)

-FLASH-

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Job Porky, You beat me to it!
102" wide is legal! Almost every trailer built nowadays is 102" wide

Yes it may be slow....so stay in town and look cool!
If you wanna speed....buy a peterbilt!

M920's are tough.. but HET's look awesome and are tough too!
From memory.. I think The HET GVW(231,000) is 91,000lbs more than M920(140,000)

-FLASH-
M920 GCWR is 130,000, so the difference is 101,000 lbs.

Though in reality, they can probably both move so very much more than what they're rated at.

lakeydna

The M1070 is legal road width in N.America. Mirrors stick out even on some OTR trucks. The Euro spec M1070 as seen in Ord22's avatar is over width, with the wider singles it's as wide as the M1000 trailer. Check out oskosh's website for the specs.

lakeydna

A company here at home makes bolt on planetaries for trucks that can be locked out for highway driving and then engaged for heavy pulling. They're called DT Planetaries, website is DTHUBS.com. A possibility for getting a decent highway speed when bobtailing or running unloaded.