• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 A0 change inner door handle

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello forum.
I remade the inner door part and now the inner door handle won't fit because they are too short. On a previous post someone wrote that Volvo door handle will fit. Does someone change the inner door handles and know some type that will fit?
door.jpg
Thanks a lot and regards from Italy!

Christian

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
without knowing how thick the wood is that you used, makes this a hard question to answer. I’ll be working late today, hopefully tomorrow I can look at the difference between the Volvo and stock handles as I have both. One way to solve this is to weld up an aluminum handle and have pipe where it attaches to the splines. Then cast the splines in using fiber reinforced epoxy.

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello.
The wood is not very thick, about 3,2mm woos and 5mm foam that can compressed. The original handles have sharp edges and I fear they will cut leater...
Welding a pipe on the alu handle can be a solution, I will think about it!
Thank you
Christian

Third From Texas

Not sure of the degree you are looking to keep things OEM/mil-spec, but I was looking at a video of a rig the other day that had larger/square door latches (like those found on external ambulance closet doors). Someone commented today that those were used on late model LMTVs and not some sort of conversion.

It leads me to believe that (as with most vehicles) you can fab up anything and make it work. Those big, heavy ambulance box latches sure as **** wouldn't be braking on someone...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The door handles are a standard 7/16" round shaft with 16 splines. You can find a lot of handles that will fit it, but I'm not sure how many will have a protruding nose that will fit down inside the door panel.

I don't plan to use them, but I bought these out of curiosity to see if they fit, and they did. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OPZ49YO/

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. Thank you very much for your help! I will try the thin plastic ring and also the alu handles from online market...

Thanks a lot from Italy!

coachgeo

OK. Thank you very much for your help! I will try the thin plastic ring and also the alu handles from online market...

Thanks a lot from Italy!
below thread has good info on the alternate ones linked. there is now another very similar than one linked above on same site that looks to have a little bit more metal (round holes instead of slots) thus may be stronger. few bucks more each. I will be using ones previously linked for door handle too... removable nobs on these makes them a door handle... so you end up with it all matching. Though going to electric windows.... I do hope to find a way to be able to slip crank on in case electric ones goes down. Got other priorities first though.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-handle-and-window-crank-(NOT-military-match)

NV555

The door handles are a standard 7/16" round shaft with 16 splines. You can find a lot of handles that will fit it, but I'm not sure how many will have a protruding nose that will fit down inside the door panel.

I don't plan to use them, but I bought these out of curiosity to see if they fit, and they did. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OPZ49YO/
I would not buy these. Poor design bad fit and not long before they wobble off or become stripped. Waste of money!

coachgeo

I would not buy these. Poor design bad fit and not long before they wobble off or become stripped. Waste of money!
can't disagree...... will report back when I finally get them installed. Based on your report and another I do plan to:
1. glue the adapter inside the handle as well as use locktight on the set screw
2. lube the splines and surrounding area with Petroleum Jelly then put small amount of JB weld or similar epoxy in the female then push it on... to really create a tight proper fit. Once dry. Petroleum Jelly should allow for removal. Clean up the jelly then reinstall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks