• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 abroad

Plasa

Hi forum.
Someone asked me to publish some more information about our truck and modifications we made, I decide to start a new topic with some pictures / stories....

Now 3 years ago we bought the M1078 from a german company that mounted the living box too.
IMG_20180812_151550.jpg

The inside of the living box is made of wood, with a webasto water heater to have hot water and also to preheat the engine in the winter.
_18G0485.jpg_18G0494.jpg

From that point a lot of modifications where done:
Oil line governor - engine head:
IMG_20191121_125237.jpg
Detroit locker:
IMG_20200110_155257.jpg
roof rack:
IMG_20201003_171246.jpg
winter tires:
IMG_20201003_174548.jpg
Christian

Plasa

Well, I must admit that (I live in the middle of the mountains) the locker isn't funny when you need to drive a lot steepy tracks with a lot of curves. At the end of a turn sometimes gives you a kick in the ass to remember when engages again....
I do not know if I made a mistake when mounting, but my experience isn't complete positive...

Detroit locker are a great upgrade

Reworked LMTV

Well, I must admit that (I live in the middle of the mountains) the locker isn't funny when you need to drive a lot steepy tracks with a lot of curves. At the end of a turn sometimes gives you a kick in the ass to remember when engages again....
I do not know if I made a mistake when mounting, but my experience isn't complete positive...
I have two lockers, but probably will only use one at my middle axle. Would be interested to hear more or, even better, a video of a lock up "kicking you in the ass" to get an idea of what you are referring to : )

Plasa

Some news from the front :)
_20S2423.jpg
Due travel limitations here in Europe the only way to get out of this crazy world is to try finding a spot where you don't see no one all day, and to find out what is important for you. I love working on our truck, trying to optimize until I discover that before was better :)
On the other side you have to use it, for what you build it: to the moon and back!

Plasa

_20O0330.jpgNews from the other side of the ocean... ;-)
This winter is not only for Covid diffrent than others. We have a lot of snow in the mountains, so I got the chance to test the snow tires and the chains. Tires works very well, it's a huge diffrence between the Goodyear tires and the snow tires. With chains it's really a beast!
But as usual, due my un knowledge, I bent 2 air tubes of the rear brakes (the 2 vent air pipes) when mounting the chains. This 2 pipes are quite exposed if you have something wrapping around the axle.
I'm preparing the truck now for a 1 month trip to sveden, with low temperatures. Need to put some pipe heater in the waste water tank and pipes.
_20O0367.jpg
All the best and stay safe!

Christian

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plasa I have not been to Europe but your area is certainly beautiful! As far as your bent brake lines, sh-t happens and doing what your doing is the BEST TEACHER by far! I know it can be a total pain at times but for what your doing the lessons learned will not be forgotten and as you learn more it can all be applied to the next upgrade to make it even more successful!
Great luck and enjoy the truck!

Plasa

Thank you Karl!
Yes indeed, learning from errors hurts, but it's the best way to remember it forever! ;-)

All the best ans thank you for your post!

Christian

Plasa I have not been to Europe but your area is certainly beautiful! As far as your bent brake lines, sh-t happens and doing what your doing is the BEST TEACHER by far! I know it can be a total pain at times but for what your doing the lessons learned will not be forgotten and as you learn more it can all be applied to the next upgrade to make it even more successful!

Plasa

The snow tires are from a french company that retread Michelin XZL tires. There was a long discussion on FB with Sean Fillner and Ken Spencer, but I got no news if some company want to import them in the US...
The company mainly produces the tires for airport firefighter trucks, I must admit that they work very well, there is a huge diffrence between the Goodyear and this ones in the winter.

Christian

Could you provide some details about the snow tires please? Manufacturer? Size? Thank You.

Plasa

Someone told me that a failure isn't a failure if you can repair it with the set of tools and spare on board. Well, this is the second failure that it was impossible to repair on site....
After a 5 miles run the transmission did not shift down anymore on turns. Seemed strange to me, but when it did not upshift into the 7th I got courious. Stopped in a small village in Swizerland and turn off the truck, fired on again, tried to put a gear into, but always flipped back to N. Day before runned smooth as always. A quick turnaround showed all the mess:
Trans oil dropped from the transmission an all the right read tire was full of it. Same thing happened before when the rigid trans cooler pipe had a hairline crack near the fitting.... Got shocked when I was able to pull out the entire fitting from the transmission thread, at that moment I knew that was not just a loose nut or bolt...
After short time police came and called a wrecker. My fortune was that 8 miles away was a truck garage and they had time to dedicate to us. But no spare parts, so we had to find another solution. At the end we decide to keep the original fitting, but cut the washer out and screw the fitting all in. To get it sealed we used liquid gasket, and a slightly bigger washer to keep the liquid gasket in place. Luckily the inner part of the thread was untouched and the fitting was long enough to be skrewed in the healthy thread.
IMO it's another weak point of this truck, to use only 1/3 of a thread (in aluminium) to hold rigid or flexible hoses to the trans cooler. If I remember right the thread was already damaged there, but was dry for 3 years now. I now add a bracket to hold the 2 flex line in place.

image0.jpeg

IMG_20210719_181323.jpg IMG_20210730_160534.jpg
as you can see on the pictures the fittings are much more skrewed in, about 8 mm more. I hope now that this mod will hold for more than 3 years. Otherwise I need to rethread the transmission housing...

Attachments

Plasa

Thank you sir!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks