• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 air leak behind grill

JD4044M

In a test just now I pushed the brake pedal harder and the air leak went quite as long as you held the pedal pushed. Once I let off it leaks again.

Still OK from the fires but they found 2 more just a little bit ago from the lightning sleepers waking up. Around 2-6:00 pm will tell if they blow up?

Ronmar

In a test just now I pushed the brake pedal harder and the air leak went quite as long as you held the pedal pushed. Once I let off it leaks again.

Still OK from the fires but they found 2 more just a little bit ago from the lightning sleepers waking up. Around 2-6:00 pm will tell if they blow up?
It may be dirty and leaking a little supply air, and since the pedal is up, this air passes to the vent port.

JD4044M

The fires(3) have my attention went from 10 to over 2000 acres plus. Bringing in the big boy to drop water with the fire close to houses now. Wanting structure protection too. Glad it has not moved closer to us just getting bigger. Figure the Air might have been leaking for a little bit just could not hear it? I will leave it alone for now till I can figure how to clean or replace it but not with a fire close.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The fires(3) have my attention went from 10 to over 2000 acres plus. Bringing in the big boy to drop water with the fire close to houses now. Wanting structure protection too. Glad it has not moved closer to us just getting bigger. Figure the Air might have been leaking for a little bit just could not hear it? I will leave it alone for now till I can figure how to clean or replace it but not with a fire close.
For Sure!! Hope they can get the fires under control.
Later, after you aren't concerned about being barbecued - it might be a simple drop (No, make that ONE DROP) of marvel mystery oil in whatever you think is the "pressure in" air line would fix it. It is possible that a piece of something sticky was passed from the compressor to the tanks to the brake release to the treadle valve. Worth a try...

JD4044M

Just blows me away how clean under the dash is for 26 years and to have a part go bad looking that nice?? Put the origin Speedometer back in and it works. Seemed to want to top out at 55 MPH having a 3800 lb load of just water in the back. The mileage was right on too for the drive.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JD404.., I think I had that same failure once. Thankfully I took notes. I think you have an o-ring leaking in the venting portion of the treadle valve. It is not a total failure situation if so. The leak will drain the air over time but does not involve braking so you can 'live with it' until you have no fires heading toward you. The o-ring is number 15 on the exploded view of the treadle valve (my notes). It can be changed without taking apart the treadle valve. There is a large C-ring that is accessible to remove to get to the o-ring. It holds back a spring so care is needed. It's 2:30 AM here so I can't run out to take a picture!

My notes reminded me I did not replace that o-ring, I flipped it over to move the flat side to a non-critical position, and the leak stopped. Of course I meant to find a kit and rebuild the treadle valve, but didn't, and forgot. I am old too. That fix was done a couple of years ago so lasted that long.

My notes included a test for that o-ring leak: On the treadle valve you see the four tubes in your photo above, 1/2 inch black nylon (whatever) tubes. The upper two are the air inputs from the two air tanks (not wet tank). The lower two tubes are outputs to the brakes. Remove the two lower tubes. You will probably hear air coming out one or the other. Put your thumb over the air source. If the leak moves to the other port then you duplicated the test I did. That shows the leak is common to both circuits (their vents) and that's why your tanks both drain down.

JD4044M

WOW Thanks for that information! I can deal with that now after the fires are under control. Right now there planning a big back burn hope I does not get out of control!! This has become a bad fire for the reservation it could go to 100,000 acres during our Red Flag today and high winds. Hopefully the winds stay going to the East away from us. It could close that 10 mile gap in one day easy. Glad I have my truck set up for fires right now. Even the people around me are setting up pick ups with water tanks. DSCF6900.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks