• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 AO driveline vibration

flxdsn

Guys I have two M1078-A0's I've driven each of them about 75 miles..... high speed, low speed etc. One has ~2K miles the other ~12000 miles..... both have some driveline vibration around 25 to 45 mph.... as I've researched, this is inherent in these early trucks....driveshafts have been upgraded per the MWO/Replacement program. But they still seem to be pretty noisy....especially the higher mileage truck....

Anybody else seeing this? or come up with solutions....thinking about pulling the driveshafts and rebalancing? kind of driving me crazy....

Thanks....

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine doesn't seem to do this. Are you sure it is driveline and not the tires or something? Might be worth checking the toe in just in case. If you crawl up under the truck and push/pull laterally the driveshafts near the splined joints, is there any noticeable play? It wouldn't hurt to shoot some grease into the fitting near those splined joints to see if you notice any difference. I'm not sure, but maybe you could remove the front driveshaft just to see if it is that one.

flxdsn

Hello Oxy,

Thanks for the tips,

Had already greased and tried to move but did not notice anything odd. However yesterday when I was ordering parts from MTP, I mentioned the problem and they quickly commented that they had seen that often and the front shaft was often slightly bent....apparently it doesn't take much... next step will be to remove the front d-shaft per your and his suggestion and see if the vibration is still present as speed. Hope to do this in the next week or so. If that comes up blank, I'll look at toe in...

papercu

The story as I remember it, was that the front driveshaft would drop and the sudden stop had killed a couple of soldiers.
If this is true I would feel better if there was a strap under it. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks