• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 brakes

SP5

I don't have a 1078, but I'am asking this question to gain more knowledge about them.
I have read, that in the 5tons, that without ABS, a "panic" stop situation could result in the torque converter not unlocking quick enough, causing the engine to stall, resulting in a loss of power steering.
My question is, in the eary 1078s, without ABS, do they have the same issue, or will the converter unlock early enough to prevent engine stall?
I did a bunch of searches, but could not find any posts about this.
Thanks in advance.

MaiNiaK

I've never heard of this happening.

Then again I've never locked mine right up. I'd be more worried about the cab latch not locking and the cab flipping forward if you slammed the brakes on.

sandcobra164

I've operated many ABS equipped LMTV spanning from cargo's, vans, expansible vans, and currently an M1089A1P2 LTAS truck. I've never came close to locking a tire in any of them. Of course, they had ABS. Well, so does my M923 but I can feel the ABS intervene when it does so. I've never felt the ABS intervene in an LMTV, FMTV or MTV or whatever acronym the Army decides to stick to. I've never noticed the torque converter unlocking at highway speeds when lifting the throttle but I have had to do a panic stop or two. There was never a stall out situation, just a ticked off A-Driver and Passenger.

Ue413

I had some brake issues with mine, and in the process of fixing, test drove and then "stood" on the brakes of a non abs truck and it just stops (nothing locks). I assume my truck is no different than anyone else's.