• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 camper in the Glamis dunes Thanksgiving 2016

Duckworthe

Pointman,
I don't use Facebook. I am getting as far from the "system" as possible. Except for the internet and this site! LOL.
Would love to talk to you about any questions you have.
Eric
619-952-4337

deshet

Everything looks great with your build. I wish I had these type of craftsmanship abilities. Do you experience a lot of body roll from your box. It seems like you do some real off roading. I don't think a better more visually appealing rig can be built for under $30,000. It is hard to find a diesel quigley van for under 30K.

Do you have any idea what it would cost to have the camp structure section built professionally? Any idea what you spent in material costs?

Thanks

Duckworthe

Everything looks great with your build. I wish I had these type of craftsmanship abilities. Do you experience a lot of body roll from your box. It seems like you do some real off roading. I don't think a better more visually appealing rig can be built for under $30,000. It is hard to find a diesel quigley van for under 30K.

Do you have any idea what it would cost to have the camp structure section built professionally? Any idea what you spent in material costs?

Thanks
Thanks for the compliment. I think the first time people ride in these trucks they feel they are tall and top heavy. When people come visit me to see my build they always use the grab bars. but after a few miles they start getting used to how they ride and lean around fast corners. I don't even notice anymore unless I am on a very steep angle. I have exceeded the 30 deg side slope. I'm not sure exactly what it was but I had "Pucker Factor" as I went through. All was fine, but I was uncomfortable to say the least. I am under $30k for my build and that includes the purchase of my used KLR 650 bike. I did use some of the main components out of my lance slide in camper before I sold it. I used the heater, water pump, fridge, power panel out of it and placed it in this build. If you can find someone selling off a newer camper that is insurance salvage and use some parts one could save huge $$$. Heck, my fridge is $1200. to replace! As for professionally built, the prices could vary wildly. Just depends on what they use, Carbon fiber, composite, aluminum, steel? Also, I don't have a need to turn my faucet or lights with my smart phone! But....I guess some people NEED that sort of thing. LOL. I prefer things that are simple, function well, and should last a long time. Everything breaks, but I don't think I will find a replacement smart phone turn on device down in Baja Mexico or middle of nowhere desert to replace it with if it did break. As for materials cost.... I don't have all of the numbers with me but the aluminum siding and one piece roof sheet was $1200. That consisted of 4 sheets of .050 x 52in x16 ft., 4 sheets .050 x 52in x 9ft., and one roll of roofing .050 x 102in x 17ft. The steel frame structure material was around the same cost. I think some others that I know where going to have friends weld up there "boxes" for about $5000. including material doing it as a side job. Some one had posted that Global Expedition Vehicles were running around $200k for the "box" but they use a lot of what I call G-wiz composites and all of that fancy stuff. Plus they have to make their wallets thick also, IMHO. I didn't use the high end German windows either, I cant afford them. All, please don't take this post as me picking on anyone here. If you need to have a toilet paper roll that operates from your smart phone.......that's cool.

Masspilot

I agree with duckworthe I am in the process of my build which I will say be duckworthe's trucks twin. There are a lot of materials out there that will give u a very quality look and very structurally sound as my project goes I will start to post pics of the progress. It's all what u want but duckworthe makes a valid point all the fringe make for more crap to break build it to last

ICONchad

I was curious if you don't mind sharing the method you used to secure it to the truck. I'm on the fence on wether to build one or just get a 1079 and mod the van.

Duckworthe

I was curious if you don't mind sharing the method you used to secure it to the truck. I'm on the fence on wether to build one or just get a 1079 and mod the van.[/QUOTE]

I mounted the box just as the original bed was mounted to the truck. 8 bolts down each side. There are many debates on "How to mount a box on a truck", I used the method that was already there and I am very happy with it. If you don't have the time or ability to build the box, why not use what is already built just like you are thinking. I would caution those who plan on going into state and National parks though. They treat a truck that looks like a military truck converted into a camper just as they treat an old yellow school bus with curtains in the windows. "Not Welcome here" Its BS but they make the rules, not us. That's one reason that I made mine look a bit more custom and at times I still get the 3rd degree questioning but have never not been allowed in to camp.
Eric 619-952-4337

1951M1078

Not yet ! Need to take a look on Ebay ?

Can you see their eyes when they think they have a "World" traveler staying at their camp ! LOL

Yep, my GF / Wife keeps me young also.

ramdough

That is funny..... I wonder what happens when you get pulled over?

I have friends in Germany..... I wonder if they could mail me a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerrykan

I posted some pics on my thread about Big Bend of a couple of French mini-Expo vehicles that were there. It does happen.

View attachment 662543
A few months back I'm pretty sure that I crossed paths with the Toyota in Springfield, Missouri.
I was traveling east, and they were west bound on original Route 66 near the town square.
The Land Rover wasn't with them at that time.

I was driving the M715 that day, and remember the truck sported a foreign license plate.

Duckworthe

Well I have been reading all the posts but not doing much around here on my . I was building tanks and roof racks for Steve but not much else. I did have to replace a camper window since I was plinking ground squirrels and a pellet hit my window and shattered it. DOOOH! Well, I have been busy working on my new project. I started building my 69 Chevelle pro touring car and finishing the build of my Quiggly 4x4 van. Just a few more things to finish and it will be done also. I will put the van up for sale once it is done. Hate to see it go as it is 100% now and has a 7.3 diesel. Oh, the 64 Chevelle is for sale also, but then isn't everything?!

0204171724.jpg0213171722a.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks