• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 conversion to brush fire truck

VVFD

We just got our truck back from the fabrication and paint shop. Phase 1 completed: paint, rear 18" work platform made and installed, Feniex lights and siren installed, radio console build and 2 radios installed, Kussmaul charger and air system installed. We now have a high water rescue vehicle.
Phase 2 will upgrade this truck to a heavy brush truck with tank, pump, remote monitor on front brush guard, hose reel, whip lines, and tool boxes. Might take us a while to raise the funds for phase 2.

Attachments

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a M1078 off GovDeals, the county that owned it spent a lot of money painting it and never really put it to much use. It had perfect tires, new batteries and 3900 miles. The bed side panels were stored in the side compartments. I like my new red truck, I kept my cargo seats, tarp/bows out of my last LMTV, this is turning into a real nice truck.

Attachments

Webrep

We have a 500 gallon tank, two hose reels and pump/motor and it rides like a dream. If you dont have the flatbed you should be able to mount at least 1000 gallons of water. Those Beds are heavy. http://halltownfire.org/images/Trucks/IMG_5672.JPG

Rob

A few questions:
1. Can the truck safely handle 750 gallons?
2. Should we leave or remove the 6" bed rails from the frame?
3. What would those that have built on this chassis do differently next time?

coachgeo

IMHO those using these for fire service should get a locker for the rear axle now that they are available. It is a Detroit non selectable, so a little driver training would be wise I guess.

8madjack

I'm following This Thread and it's super interesting, I don't have an lmtv I have a 931a1 with an 11 foot drop side bed. I'm in the process of building a skid for the back during the Fire season to keep on my property here. I bought a 1650 gallon poly tank and it Davey pump I just need to get a hose reel and finish building everything I'll do a thread when I get going. I don't plan on taking it heavily off road and I'm going to fill it with the baffle balls, actually wiffle balls is what one tank manufacturer recommended to me because he said they were cheaper than baffle balls and actually worked a little better. For you guys using baffle balls how many do you use do you fill the tank with them before water?

BEASTMASTER

trucks don't roll over on their own. its because most people that drive cars don't have a clue how to drive a truck. " A MAN HAS TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS "

Webrep

We do not use baffle balls in anything....

I'm following This Thread and it's super interesting, I don't have an lmtv I have a 931a1 with an 11 foot drop side bed. I'm in the process of building a skid for the back during the Fire season to keep on my property here. I bought a 1650 gallon poly tank and it Davey pump I just need to get a hose reel and finish building everything I'll do a thread when I get going. I don't plan on taking it heavily off road and I'm going to fill it with the baffle balls, actually wiffle balls is what one tank manufacturer recommended to me because he said they were cheaper than baffle balls and actually worked a little better. For you guys using baffle balls how many do you use do you fill the tank with them before water?

8madjack

We do not use baffle balls in anything....
What size tanks are you running? I was given the impression buy one tank company that the surge was a very big deal which I can understand. Here is the tank I'm using it's an elliptical leg tank with some baffling built-in20180703_100601.jpg 20180703_103507.jpg

8madjack

We use 200 - 500 gallon tanks on brush trucks with no baffles. Anything bigger would be a tanker or Engine and have built in baffles
Well that's the reason I need to run with the baffle balls, my tank is 1650 gallons. Defending my buildings I won't need to be going on any steep Terrain other than the driveway to my house which is straight up and down. But I definitely don't want any problems with sloshing.

Eastmanfire

Thank you!! This is another bad boy that we got from Florida Wildlife Conservation. It is an Oshkosh. This is going to be a Brush Truck Tanker. This one is still in fab but has the tank and pump installed just need plumbing, lights, sirens and radios. It has ratchet straps over the tank right now because when hurricane Irma came through I didn't want the tank flying off as it is empty.
Oshkosh 1.jpgOshkosh 2.jpgOshkosh 3.png

8madjack

Thank you!! This is another bad boy that we got from Florida Wildlife Conservation. It is an Oshkosh. This is going to be a Brush Truck Tanker. This one is still in fab but has the tank and pump installed just need plumbing, lights, sirens and radios. It has ratchet straps over the tank right now because when hurricane Irma came through I didn't want the tank flying off as it is empty.
View attachment 735620View attachment 735621View attachment 735622
Thats badass, what size tank?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks