• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 DMV HELL

WWinAK

Be it good or bad I decided to pick up a M1078 for myself at Christmas. Truck is currently titled in NJ and was used by a Police Department there. Tried to get it titled today at the local DMV office only to be told that it doesn’t have the 15 digit number an on highway vehicle needs to have. Insert frustrated long sighhhh! Now I know there will be a lot of you telling me it’s been discussed to death.....and I’m sure that’s part of the problem I’m having, there’s so many registration and title threads I can’t find what applies to me :( I plan on titling in Alaska and registering there. Anyone have any similar dealings? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.... supposed to pick it up in a few weeks time and drive to AZ for the short term. Now I’m not sure quite what to do. Thank you all in advance for any replies!
Dash data plate reads
13027-12414750
MFR-76259
Serial No. 10324G

snowtrac nome

Be it good or bad I decided to pick up a M1078 for myself at Christmas. Truck is currently titled in NJ and was used by a Police Department there. Tried to get it titled today at the local DMV office only to be told that it doesn’t have the 15 digit number an on highway vehicle needs to have. Insert frustrated long sighhhh! Now I know there will be a lot of you telling me it’s been discussed to death.....and I’m sure that’s part of the problem I’m having, there’s so many registration and title threads I can’t find what applies to me :( I plan on titling in Alaska and registering there. Anyone have any similar dealings? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.... supposed to pick it up in a few weeks time and drive to AZ for the short term. Now I’m not sure quite what to do. Thank you all in advance for any replies!
Dash data plate reads
13027-12414750
MFR-76259
Serial No. 10324G
I would have to look at mine but i think they just added zeros to the sn you will have to have it there for dmv to physicaly check the sn and you will have to register it as a cmv . there is no way around it in the state of ak any vehichle that weighs over 10.5 k will be registered as a cmv even if its privatly owned.

WWinAK

I would have to look at mine but i think they just added zeros to the sn you will have to have it there for dmv to physicaly check the sn and you will have to register it as a cmv . there is no way around it in the state of ak any vehichle that weighs over 10.5 k will be registered as a cmv even if its privatly owned.
DMV tells me that they don't have a mate code for Stewart and Stevenson in Alaska (none have ever been registered, don't believe that) If you did register yours would you PM me your plate number so I can try to get this insanity stopped and get this thing on the road? I am leaving to go get it tonight and guess I'll have to chance it with just the old plates and expired registration....to get it to Alaska.
I did tell them what you did with yours adding zero's but, just like with any government entity you ask 1 question and get 15 answers..... Sigh.... thank you for your reply last time... I was out of town (cell service, internet service) for a few weeks for work.

Celticlady

DMV tells me that they don't have a mate code for Stewart and Stevenson in Alaska (none have ever been registered, don't believe that) If you did register yours would you PM me your plate number so I can try to get this insanity stopped and get this thing on the road? I am leaving to go get it tonight and guess I'll have to chance it with just the old plates and expired registration....to get it to Alaska.
I did tell them what you did with yours adding zero's but, just like with any government entity you ask 1 question and get 15 answers..... Sigh.... thank you for your reply last time... I was out of town (cell service, internet service) for a few weeks for work.
Keep working that add zeros to the front of the vin. Thats is how AR does it. Also register it as a cargo truck. Because if it weren’t for the green paint it’s a Steward Steven’s cargo truck. That will also help for insurance. Make: Stewart Steven’s, model LMTV, type: cargo.
Realy surprised that as it has a NJ title that AK is having so much grief. Might try going back to NJ to get the title amended there to a 15 digit. Then go. back to AK

Mudog715

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to be making a long stop-over in AZ, just title & register it here in the interim. You may also consider buying an AZ "assigned VIN" for it for $5, which should subsequently be acceptable in all states. They will affix a small tag with the "new" assigned VIN in the driver door jamb and update the title/registration to match.

Phoenix77

For what it's worth, NC uses the shorthand code STES for Stewart & Stevenson; maybe Alaska does too...? Worth a shot.

I registered mine as a private passenger vehicle with no issues - sorry; not trying to rub it in - I hope that mfg designation works in AK.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For what it's worth, NC uses the shorthand code STES for Stewart & Stevenson; maybe Alaska does too...? Worth a shot.

I registered mine as a private passenger vehicle with no issues - sorry; not trying to rub it in - I hope that mfg designation works in AK.
I spent a little time today at our local DMV "contract station" in Harrisburg NC.
Having the STES information "in my back pocket" I showed up today, April 16th, 2021.

The people that work there are not government employees. They have always been courteous and fast.
Today was really no exception! 3 cashiers. 2 on titles, 1 on renewals and turn-ins. Honestly, I think the new girl on the renewal line was moving about twice as many people though the line as the other two. The questions and paperwork in the title line just really chewed up time...

ANYWAY, enough Babbling!

There is a 3 inch thick binder for the odd things that come through their DMV office.
Every truck or trailer known is listed with details and codes.
Also heard one tell the other to type the first three letters and hit F1.

I was prepared to share my STES, but that was how the lady waiting on me pulled it up on their computer.
STE, then F1 and she looked up and me and said Steward & Stevenson.

Once again, I was impressed in Harrisburg, North Carolina!

---

Everything is relative though. I spent about two hours waiting in line.
At least it isn't like Food Lion where they have 20 registers and only 1 or maybe 2 cashiers!

WWinAK

Still fighting with the DMV, would you be willing dm me or send me a pic of your registration ? It’s insane how difficult this hav become, you wouldn’t figure that here in Alaska there would be these kinds of issues!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks