• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 jump question

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Connect the jumper cables across one 12v pair of batteries, charge a few minutes, then move to the other pair of 12v batteries.

Probably only one pair is dead, either the lower 0-12v pair. or the 12-24v pair. Normal layout will have the 0-12 volt pair further from the frame toward the outside of the truck, and the 12-24 pair closer to the frame.

If you happen to charge the dead set first, it will start right up.

theeagle

Thanks sound like a plan!!!

This is was partially my initial thought (to connect across the 12 volt side, based on diagram), but wasn't sure and wanted some experience expert help. So tennmogger, what you are saying can safely be done without any risk to my suburban?

Connect the jumper cables across one 12v pair of batteries, charge a few minutes, then move to the other pair of 12v batteries.

Probably only one pair is dead, either the lower 0-12v pair. or the 12-24v pair. Normal layout will have the 0-12 volt pair further from the frame toward the outside of the truck, and the 12-24 pair closer to the frame.

If you happen to charge the dead set first, it will start right up.

coachgeo

No. You need 24 volts. You can call a tow company and ask them to bring a pair of big jump packs.
Technically Suprman is correct though some have found it works if you jump the one 12v bank by the chassis? cause it sometimes is unequally charged compared to the other bank and draws the whole 24v total down. If that does not work then you got more than just that one bank or one battery low and you must then follow Suprman's advice.

Remember you need full good 24v alternator output once started to operate the transmission. So however you jump it...... let it charge.

update:
You guys were typing as I was. TennMogger's info is better than mine.....

Last edited:

theeagle

So if I'm facing the battery box, I want to jump the battery that is farthest from me to the left? Am I reading that correctly? or is the one closest to me when I'm facing the box? Just want full clarity before I dive in.

Thanks sound like a plan!!!

This is was partially my initial thought (to connect across the 12 volt side, based on diagram), but wasn't sure and wanted some experience expert help. So tennmogger, what you are saying can safely be done without any risk to my suburban?

coachgeo

So if I'm facing the battery box, I want to jump the battery that is farthest from me to the left? Am I reading that correctly? or is the one closest to me when I'm facing the box? Just want full clarity before I dive in.
If I remember correct..... start with the bank by the chassis (most inward top left; as you describe above); but according to TennMogger it really does not matter and maybe you should just do both anyway to help balance out the voltage of each bank.

theeagle

So to be certain about process, I must also disconnect all of the batteries from each other before charging each individually?
Or are you saying I can just attempt to connect to the left farthest from battery with wires connected and then jump?

QUOTE=coachgeo;2153125]If I remember correct..... start with the bank by the chassis (most inward top left; as you describe above); but according to TennMogger it really does not matter and maybe you should just do both anyway to help balance out the voltage of each bank.[/QUOTE]

snowtrac nome

A 12 volt battery has 12 volts of potential from one terminal to the other, regardless of where it is it in the circuit as long as you charge from positive and negative there is no need to isolate it. if you short cut and don't know what you are doing you are going to let out the magic smoke from something if you are jumping with cables from a 24 volt source follow your slave plug leads back to the batterys one will go to a positive post and one will go to a negative post those terminals are where you should hook up your 24 volt jumper cables.

coachgeo

So to be certain about process, I must also disconnect all of the batteries from each other before charging each individually?
Or are you saying I can just attempt to connect to the left farthest from battery with wires connected and then jump? ...
sorta..... My understand was if your quick charging via a second 12v vehicle or a 12v charger each individual battery you must disconnect them from each other but snowtrac nome knows way more than I so go with what he said.

As TennMogger suggest if you are jump/quick charging one bank of the the two different 12v banks (chassis bank or outer bank) you can hook to (+) of first battery in one of the 12v banks, and (-) to second batt. of that pair's bank, for jump/quick charging that particular 12v bank.

Last edited:

theeagle

So I got it going. What I ended up doing was isolating them and giving them a charge and it started up.

What I should have done was to test to start between each battery to determine which one is the problem.

Thanks everyone for the insight!

coachgeo

So I got it going. What I ended up doing was isolating them and giving them a charge and it started up.

What I should have done was to test to start between each battery to determine which one is the problem.

Thanks everyone for the insight!
you could but not good for alternator or starter. Doing that with a meter would be better.

Ronmar

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Gremlin-Identified-Battery-BT2(-)-Connection

This thread discusses the basic diagram and battery layout. Basically the outer row of terminals are ground, the next two rows in (where inside and outside batts are tied together) are 12V(measured to ground) and the row closest to the frame is 24V when measured back to ground.

Great resources here on this forum...

The outside pair form one big 12V batt, the inside pair form another. You can connect 12V onto the terminals on either inside or outside batt to charge the combined inner or outer battery pair. Would have been easier if they had just used 2 big 12V batts, but this probably allowed use a common batt between multiple platforms.

When working with series parallel strings, as mentioned ONLY connect to the dattery terminals(at correct polarity of course), never to chassis/ground. Speaking from experience, batteries can be some of the most dangerous things we work with, dont screw this up:)

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every person who owns a vehicle with multiple batteries should spend a few minutes or a week if necessary to understand how their batteries are hooked up. That could be a truck, battery, or life, saver.

There are safe shortcuts such as jumping only the dead pair of batteries to get the vehicle going, 12v to 12v.

There's just too much BS information running around about what absolutely won't work, or what will. depending on who you ask. If you don't know, best to not give someone information. That would apply to me too, if I were ever wrong, blah blah blah. :)

The trick for charging one vehicle off another, 12v to 24v, is to NOT have the vehicle chassis's connected together. Basic electricity.

theeagle

At this point I have a couple basic questions :
1) Could I have actually just connected like a standard jump from one 12 volt vehicle to another (by using a pair of the batteries as one big 12 volt, for instance #1+ & #2-)
2) What in the m1079 uses 12v and what uses 24v and is the current setup "overkill"?

I speculate there is a thread some where on here that answers this information as well, so if any one cares to point me in that direction or answer directly.

Thanks in advance.

theeagle

I agree, This was actually one of the things I did when I first got the m1079, spent some time checking it out and reading through information on it. Today was the first time I had a problem and although based on existing knowledge and other previous research I had some ideas, but definitely wanted to go to the experts here first before I made any decisions.

So thanks everyone!

Every person who owns a vehicle with multiple batteries should spend a few minutes or a week if necessary to understand how their batteries are hooked up. That could be a truck, battery, or life, saver.

There are safe shortcuts such as jumping only the dead pair of batteries to get the vehicle going, 12v to 12v.

There's just too much BS information running around about what absolutely won't work, or what will. depending on who you ask. If you don't know, best to not give someone information. That would apply to me too, if I were ever wrong, blah blah blah. :)

The trick for charging one vehicle off another, 12v to 24v, is to NOT have the vehicle chassis's connected together. Basic electricity.

coachgeo

...There's just too much BS information running around about what absolutely won't work, or what will. depending on who you ask. ....
and do respectfully step in and point out others posted miss information. Like they say "you learn more from what you do wrong that what you do right". Even better when you learn from others wrongs before you make same mistake.

Anyone whose info was called out as wrong and advised on corrections...... always go back and fix / update any post where you passed any miss information on. (basically self moderate your own post) Strengthens the archives.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks