• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 list of mods

daisycutter

We purchased a '95 M1078 in February 2015. Have made a number of modifications:
New Tires
Siberian Express Horns
GPS
4.5KW Generator
Roof Mount A/C
LED Lighting

Vehicle is located in Oklahoma City, OK.

Looking for rear sway bar bushings, if anyone has a cross reference part number.

M1078-9.jpgM1078-6.jpgM1078-3.jpgM1078-10.jpgM1078-7.jpgM1078-4.jpgM1078-1.jpgM1078-8.jpgM1078-5.jpgM1078-2.jpg

Shark Bait

We purchased a '95 M1078 in February 2015. Have made a number of modifications:
New Tires
Siberian Express Horns
GPS
4.5KW Generator
Roof Mount A/C
LED Lighting

Vehicle is located in Oklahoma City, OK.

Looking for rear sway bar bushings, if anyone has a cross reference part number.

View attachment 578856View attachment 578853View attachment 578850View attachment 578857View attachment 578854View attachment 578851View attachment 578848View attachment 578855View attachment 578852View attachment 578849
i got my client to do an RV A/C on top for their LMTV. it's powered with an inverter, what was the determining factor for you to use a generator? Did you cut the original covered or manufacture one?
yours looks good.

Dave

daisycutter

We cut the original cover although, making a new one or sourcing one isn't that big of a deal. I was concerned that the inverter wouldn't handle the wattage and amperage the a/c requires. Our electrical engineer warned us that the alternator's life would be shortened significantly. If you've done one and it works great, I'm jealous. Wish we would have one that.

gavland

very nice, just got a M1088 that needs some work why I wait for the title zzzzzzzzz ironplanet taking there good old time. GL didn't give me the run around ever!!!!
so what was the top speed before and after??

Gearhead01

Sorry about the dumb question ... what is a pyro? Also, is here somewhere I can go on the net to show me how to do the injector / air fuel adjustments for more power?

Gearhead01

Gearhead - a bit of googling led me to the link below. A Pyro is an Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Pyrometer (Pyro) - high exhaust gas temps can indicate potentially hazardous situations for your turbo or engine.

http://www.bankspower.com/techarticles/show/25-why-egt-is-important

Someone else will have to chime in more than that.
Thanks Radbad for the Pyrometer info! I want to adjust the valves / injectors / air fuel ratio on my 3116. the manuals that I have are not very good. Any ideas where I can get better info on doing this work?

scottmandu

Thanks Radbad for the Pyrometer info! I want to adjust the valves / injectors / air fuel ratio on my 3116. the manuals that I have are not very good. Any ideas where I can get better info on doing this work?
From what I understand special tooling is required to adjust the injectors. Very expensive special tooling. It may be prudent to investigate that work with a Caterpillar dealer.

radbad

Yeah - from what I've heard, it's not advised to try to adjust much on the engine without proper training. I haven't dug into it at all to condider the validity of the statement, but I hesitate to mess with mine.

EDIT: to answer your question: I don't know where to get better 3116 manuals.

aheilmann68

Ill try to get my sources of info up. They make the special tooling due to tight working conditions and fine adjusments. If you had to res6nc the rack then you are either forced to buy the kit or take the entire intake manifold and valve body apart to wo4k through it. I made very minor adjustments that made the butt dyno notice. If you play with settings be careful and make sure you have a pyro. Slightly turned up and the trans reprogrammed it will hold 7th gear up hill and not bog down when empty. A few times I need to downshift and back off due to egts

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with letting the tranny downshift and let the engine stay at the best torque and efficiency rpm? I am totally satisfied with my 3116 and 7 speed. But, I am used to the acceleration of an Unimog.....nuf said. An automatic is happiest and more long-lived when not lugged/over-torqued in overdrive.

Bob

aheilmann68

Turned up with no load in the truck she will continue to pull hills and not downshift. Ive seen 1200deg and rising allowing it to do its thing will lead to meltdown. ive then had 8000lbs in the bed and it will pull similarly but much happier. My point was if one is so inclined to dive into the top end and tweak a motor that is considered a throwaway by some to do so with caution and put a pyro. I am very happy with the truck but I prefer to drive by guages not just the road, with no tach and only a speedo thats off and egt rreading it is hard to map the engines performance.

nevrenufhp

Sorry about the dumb question ... what is a pyro? Also, is here somewhere I can go on the net to show me how to do the injector / air fuel adjustments for more power?
There's a great youtube video on how to sync the injectors. It's not difficult, just very tedious. Plus, as said already, the tools are quite spendy. I'm working with a couple guys and their 1078s, and getting the 350hp marine injectors in em. No towing involved, just a play truck. The fuel rate is very simple, it's just an allen headed screw with a jamb nut. It's between #1 and #2 cyl, under the valve cover(pictures in the link in my sig, below). Back out the screw for more power.

aheilmann68

I built a m923a2 that I bobbed with air ride and set up real nice, that truck I miss as it was smooth and had power. My m925a1 i do not really miss. I really like the m1078 but torn betwen the bobbed 5 and the 1078. I plan on keeping my 1078 as it is more versitlie, tons more cab room, 4x4 takes up less yard space and a few other odds and ends I like

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks