• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Mechanic needed- Utah

Jonnyinutah

Hello- we have a 1996 M1078 that we purchased for marketing purposes. We are looking for a regular mechanic that we can take this to for service/ problem solving/ upgrades etc. Does anyone know of a shop or person in the Salt Lake City? Thank you!

Attachments

Jonnyinutah

Try Boyce Equipment in Ogden, they should be able to take care of your truck.
I spoke with Mark a couple of weeks back, he had told me they are booked out doing custom builds for the next 2 years. He said he couldn't even get his own trucks in to get worked on. Reached out to a couple of Caterpillar dealers, Sprinter upfitters, RV shops, but so far people keep saying that a custom job like this is not in their "wheelhouse"

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to invest in some tools.....

Seriously LMTV's do require caretaking and they don't always breakdown at home - in fact if used as this one is designed I would say it's highly likely that any breakdowns will be FAR from home. Best to know the truck and the best means to know it is to work on it. Unless you have just endless piles of money to burn, you need to BE a mechanic to qualify as the LMTV's caretaker. It's not so much a matter of owning the LMTV - in a way they also own you. These aren't consumer products. They don't have a warranty and AAA will laugh at you. In-depth knowledge on them is a rare skill. I HIGHLY suggest that some member of your team be tasked with learning these trucks and if they aren't a mechanic they will need to become one.

Truckdriver47

Im in Provo, Utah, and while my expertise lies in the 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks 1991 and older, CUCV's and M900 series linehaul tractors, I have done some work on LMTV's. I dont like their complicated systems, over the simplicity of the others, but depending, I might be able to help you. My number is 801-636-1969, feel free to reach out to me. I'm mobile and have all the tools.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way everyone is demonizing these trucks I think I'm putting mine up for sale and I only owned it a month
With the proper tools, knowledge, and manuals/schematics plus help from the community they are excellent trucks. The A1 and up trucks are statistically THE MOST RELIABLE vehicles the US military has ever owned. And not by a little bit either - by HUGE amounts. Even the A0 trucks were 4x more reliable than a HMMWV (which admittedly were pretty terrible), and over 2x more reliable than the old M44A3 5 ton. Then the A1R more than doubled that advantage - more than 10 TIMES as reliable as the HMMWV:

Yes they have more electrical systems, but all the CAT engines used in these trucks have an excellent reputation as reliable workhorses in trucks, RVs, and school busses. The Allisson transmissions are for lack of a better term - bulletproof. You almost never read of problems on this forum or others.

The electrical that scares people really isn't that bad compared to any consumer vehicle made in the last 20 years. MUCH simpler in fact. And better documented - wiring that has number tags - pretty decent water tight connections - and not nearly as much "intellectual property".

Is it an M35 with a multi-fuel that Cletus can fix with a crowbar and a crescent wrench? No it's not that. And it will do things the M35 can't do - like climb a mountain at more than 20 mph, and do it with comfort and a cab you can hold a conversation in - AC if you want it, really good heat, etc.

The FMTV's are built with a LOT more off-the-shelf heavy duty truck parts than the older trucks. Meaning you can find parts easier and cheaper.

As with anything there is a learning curve - and if you want the advantages of the platform then learning a little bit about electrons and possibly some J1939 interfaces is a requirement IMO. Really the CAT engine computer and the Allison transmission computer are the easy ones. I have the specification and am working on an interface for the voltage regulator..... about the only thing I'm not real sure about would be communicating with the Medallion gauge cluster control but it's the same basic computer that's used on ski boats so I'm guessing there's something out there for it - at any rate if it goes out it won't stop the truck anyway.

Literally ALL the issues I've run into were due to aging rubber, corrosion from sitting, deferred maintenance, and PVT Snuffy. All things you will have EVEN MORE OF with an older platform.

Truckdriver47

With the proper tools, knowledge, and manuals/schematics plus help from the community they are excellent trucks. The A1 and up trucks are statistically THE MOST RELIABLE vehicles the US military has ever owned. And not by a little bit either - by HUGE amounts. Even the A0 trucks were 4x more reliable than a HMMWV (which admittedly were pretty terrible), and over 2x more reliable than the old M44A3 5 ton. Then the A1R more than doubled that advantage - more than 10 TIMES as reliable as the HMMWV:

Yes they have more electrical systems, but all the CAT engines used in these trucks have an excellent reputation as reliable workhorses in trucks, RVs, and school busses. The Allisson transmissions are for lack of a better term - bulletproof. You almost never read of problems on this forum or others.

The electrical that scares people really isn't that bad compared to any consumer vehicle made in the last 20 years. MUCH simpler in fact. And better documented - wiring that has number tags - pretty decent water tight connections - and not nearly as much "intellectual property".

Is it an M35 with a multi-fuel that Cletus can fix with a crowbar and a crescent wrench? No it's not that. And it will do things the M35 can't do - like climb a mountain at more than 20 mph, and do it with comfort and a cab you can hold a conversation in - AC if you want it, really good heat, etc.

The FMTV's are built with a LOT more off-the-shelf heavy duty truck parts than the older trucks. Meaning you can find parts easier and cheaper.

As with anything there is a learning curve - and if you want the advantages of the platform then learning a little bit about electrons and possibly some J1939 interfaces is a requirement IMO. Really the CAT engine computer and the Allison transmission computer are the easy ones. I have the specification and am working on an interface for the voltage regulator..... about the only thing I'm not real sure about would be communicating with the Medallion gauge cluster control but it's the same basic computer that's used on ski boats so I'm guessing there's something out there for it - at any rate if it goes out it won't stop the truck anyway.

Literally ALL the issues I've run into were due to aging rubber, corrosion from sitting, deferred maintenance, and PVT Snuffy. All things you will have EVEN MORE OF with an older platform.
Did they by chance have a side by side comparison with the M809, or M939 series 5-tons? Would be interested to see how their tests came back stacked in comparison. Or the old M900 series AM General line-haul tractors, like the M915a1... I cant seem to find much about those in a head to head comparison, think it would be interesting to see the results.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they by chance have a side by side comparison with the M809, or M939 series 5-tons? Would be interested to see how their tests came back stacked in comparison. Or the old M900 series AM General line-haul tractors, like the M915a1... I cant seem to find much about those in a head to head comparison, think it would be interesting to see the results.
I haven't seen data on those trucks.....

But the FMTV can reverse in low range (well "mode" anyway), and I'm sure the military got a big hard on for replacing the 939 with it's safety record and accident fatalities.... and constantly buying transfer cases because no one reads the warning on the data plate.

The US Army had to make a new category for the FMTV A1R calling it "Ultra Reliable"...... given that this category didn't exist prior we can assume that all equipment that came before was not as reliable. Statistically speaking.

A big part of the issue is that we are constantly comparing the last generation of the previous truck to the first generation of the newest truck - when those older trucks first came on the scene they had problems too. MOST of the problems were fixed - at huge expense. Some things like the 939 transfer case never really got fixed. But we look at them as "more reliable" now because the one's that are left have all been gone through and the deficiencies resolved many years ago.

Last edited:

Truckdriver47

I haven't seen data on those trucks.....

But the FMTV can reverse in low range (well "mode" anyway), and I'm sure the military got a big hard on for replacing the 939 with it's safety record and accident fatalities.... and constantly buying transfer cases because no one reads the warning on the data plate.

The US Army had to make a new category for the FMTV A1R calling it "Ultra Reliable"...... given that this category didn't exist prior we can assume that all equipment that came before was not as reliable. Statistically speaking.

A big part of the issue is that we are constantly comparing the last generation of the previous truck to the first generation of the newest truck - when those older trucks first came on the scene they had problems too. MOST of the problems were fixed - at huge expense. Some things like the 939 transfer case never really got fixed. But we look at them as "more reliable" now because the one's that are left have all been gone through and the deficiencies resolved many years ago.
Yeah, that's the nature of these things. I regularly drive my 809 and 939 5-tons, as well as the linehaul tractors, and just find that for the miles I put on them (tens of thousands), I don't really have many issues. In Utah here, I know a few guys with LMTV's, (a0 's and a1's) and even doing PMCS, they are constantly having problems with their trucks, that they need my help fixing, where as I just do my PMCS, and my 5-tons seem to run rings around my LMTV guys, so I always just associated the LMTV with needing lots of constant repairs and maintenance. I was very surprised to see the numbers in your bar graph there. I do feel it is a bit unfair to compare the linehaul tractors, as their drive train is straight out of an over the road truck, with ultimate reliability, and I know a guy who puts about 100,000 miles a year on his M920, hauling across the country.

Last edited:

Jonnyinutah

Time to invest in some tools.....

Seriously LMTV's do require caretaking and they don't always breakdown at home - in fact if used as this one is designed I would say it's highly likely that any breakdowns will be FAR from home. Best to know the truck and the best means to know it is to work on it. Unless you have just endless piles of money to burn, you need to BE a mechanic to qualify as the LMTV's caretaker. It's not so much a matter of owning the LMTV - in a way they also own you. These aren't consumer products. They don't have a warranty and AAA will laugh at you. In-depth knowledge on them is a rare skill. I HIGHLY suggest that some member of your team be tasked with learning these trucks and if they aren't a mechanic they will need to become one.
While we do have a few folks on staff that are mechanically sound and are fairly knowledgable regarding the LMTV. My question was more about finding a shop that we could take the rig to for regular maintenance. We also have several other vehicles that we use for the business...sprinters, various other trucks etc. These vehicles are serviced at local shops- our team doesn't preform the maintenance on them- I would I imagine many other businesses operate the same way. I appreciate your input, but just just wanted to let you what we were looking for.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we do have a few folks on staff that are mechanically sound and are fairly knowledgable regarding the LMTV. My question was more about finding a shop that we could take the rig to for regular maintenance. We also have several other vehicles that we use for the business...sprinters, various other trucks etc. These vehicles are serviced at local shops- our team doesn't preform the maintenance on them- I would I imagine many other businesses operate the same way. I appreciate your input, but just just wanted to let you what we were looking for.
Respectfully - if that's how you need to operate then the LMTV is probably not for your application. If no one will service it and you need someone to service it..... :rolleyes: You see my point?

Looking KÜHL and being practical may be mutually exclusive in this case. Perhaps another Sprinter or two.....

Either that or make an exception to your service policies for this particular "team member". The LMTV is not a Sprinter or a consumer truck. It's special and requires special handling and special policies. You do realize it weights ~20,000 lbs right? It's in a class of it's own - I would hesitate to even put it in the same binder with information on the rest of the vehicle fleet.

Operators of this machine need to be versed in the military PMCS. Send someone to basic and AIT and buy them some US made overalls and some tools?!? There are DAILY, WEEKLY, and MONTHLY inspection requirements. If not carefully observed you run the very real risk of killing or destroying whatever you run into or over. Can you imagine the carnage if the truck fails to stop or stalls (you lose power steering) and you rear end...... well..... ANYTHING!?

LOL.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks