• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 newbie

KellyC

Just got my first MV a 1998 M1078.

Like most I bought it online and one of the gov sites.

The machine was as advertised and missing some components so it is a non runner.

As far as I can tell missing is the entire dash panel, all fuses and relays, Alternator, and door handles.

So my thoughts are do the minimum to see if its starts and at least moves. So far we have hooked it up to air and brakes and air over Hydro. system appear to work correctly. We also hot wired the starter and the engine at least turns over.

Can anyone tell me a short cut to just start the engine and confirm it runs??? I have built a lot of hotrods and such and it seams to me that with the missing items and the overly complicated wiring why could't I just put in a 12v starter and Alt. and install something like a Painless wiring harness? It seams to me for civy use the wiring could be a lot simpler, aside from the trans control which I assume is stand alone like on motor homes. Thoughts? Comments? And yes I have started dissecting the TM just looking to see if anyone has tried this.

spankybear

I believe you will need a transmission controller at the least. The VIM of the trans controller has part of the starting circuit in it. If it's missing the instrument cluster this may be a problem. You may be able to jumper out the starting circuit of the VIM if you know how to read the wiring schematics. I'd hit up NV555 and ask if he has a cluster as I believe he dose. I would think it would be WAY more work to swap out the wiring than just go stock.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stewart_Stevenson2s.jpgStewart_Stevenson1s.jpgStewart_Stevenson4s.jpgStewart_Stevenson3s.jpg KellyC, Alex Gordon at Idaho Motor Pool is parting out a clean M1078. I was there 2 weeks ago and the dash was still there, only the drivers side door was gone. They're in Fruitland Idaho about 3 miles from the Oregon border. (208-452-5335) The pictures are of the M1078 he's parting out. Also welcome aboard from Nevada.

pontiac62

Welcome from Michigan. Might want to hit up suprman on here he might know how if you can’t figure how to. Read on here somewhere someone else might know but sometimmers kicking in. He is also another parts guy but you being out west not sure on how bad shipping would be for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the LMTV club. The brakes are straight air brakes not air over hydraulic. If you find a place to add brake fluid then somethings not quite right.

FloridaAKM

:funny:

It better be a container of Dot 5 brake fluid that somebody left it there by mistake. There is a bit of hydraulic equipment on the FMTV's, but it has nothing to do with the brakes.

Last edited:

coachgeo

I suspect when he writes "air over hydraulic system" separately from "air brakes" that he is talking about cab tilt, spare tire set up etc.... for that system is "air over hydraulic". As others mention this though also does not use brake fluid.

Painless wiring....... hmm..... maybe???. see the "Just 24v thread" for insight on this. While for most going Painless Wiring route would be.... well... painfull..... for you With your hot rod building experience .. it just might be easier. Just got to know what to keep wired as 24v if you stay with a dual volt set up (12v AND 24v) .... or just go all 24v. with cost of replacement alternator and other parts your needing..... you might well be better off going all 24v. Does Painless make a 24v truck harness?

Might be good also to review Awesomeness's collection of common problems and fixes.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect when he writes "air over hydraulic system" separately from "air brakes" that he is talking about cab tilt, spare tire set up etc
When you put these two in the same sentence on a site that deals quite a bit with deuces they tend to blend together. I have never heard of the LMTV hydraulic system called "air over hydraulic" but it's the correct term for deuce brakes. Separating the 2 into individual sentences would leave less ambiguity into what he was talking about.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you put these two in the same sentence on a site that deals quite a bit with deuces they tend to blend together. I have never heard of the LMTV hydraulic system called "air over hydraulic" but it's the correct term for deuce brakes. Separating the 2 into individual sentences would leave less ambiguity into what he was talking about.
"Air over hydraulic" is a very common industry term for hydraulics that are pumped by air pressure. You see it everywhere, from Harbor Freight air powered hydraulic jacks, to industrial machinery like hydraulic tube benders and presses. I actually had to look up what "air over hydraulic brakes" were, haha. Learn something new everyday.

KellyC

Well thanks to help from other members I got a new used dash and a box of relays.
The good news the engine purs like a, well you know. The wipers, lights and gauges seem to all work.

Bad new it looks like my machine used a different trans control. The one I got has two large oval plugs on the back it looks like my truck needs the control with a round plug. I then assume it also requires the separate TCM located on the pass side under the dash.

Does anyone have a picture of the back of the control that takes the round plug? Or am I just totally on the wrong track?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1998 trucks are WTEC 3 transmission control to match the transmission. If someone sold you a 1997 or before dash harness, it is incompatible.

KellyC

here is the WTEC iii connector and I believe all of the WTEC iii controllers use the same connector. Or post a picture of your wire bundle of your dash.

https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/2005-allison-3000-rds-transmission-shifter-for-a-sterling-acterra-5500-9393822
Yep that is the plug in my truck.. I wasn't sure about the the version so looks like a need the controller and the TCM for under the dash for WTEC III. Thank you I will begin the search!
So as mentioned it appears that the controller is the same in many applications but for the TCM does anyone know if it is application specific (different program from Allison) or are they all the same?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WTEC controller is application specific. You need one from a FMTV, (LMTV or MTV), 1998 and up. Ask transmissioninstruments.com if he has the program for FMTV and can flash a non- FMTV controller.

spankybear

There has been a few sold on ebay in the past. Again if it was me I'd check with NV555... But YMMV... You can sell your WTEC II controller as I believe they bring more money. I could be wrong though.

scottmandu

here is the WTEC iii connector and I believe all of the WTEC iii controllers use the same connector. Or post a picture of your wire bundle of your dash.
The dude at the local Allison dealer here told me all WTECIII computers are the same. It's the keypad and software that differs.