• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 - radiator - electric fan conversion

Plasa

Hi guys (and hopefully also some ladies)
Did someone though to convert the clutch fan for the radiator to a electric driven fan? I hate the moment when at 2300 rpm the clutch engage the fan and seems that everything is blown up! There should be enough space to put a electric fan right behind the radiator. Did someone also convert it, or it is bullshit?

Christian

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added electric fans but not a replacement. They help on the cooler, warm days by keeping the mechanical one off. I don't think you will find an electric fan that will replace the factory one with enough airflow.

20170904_153610.jpg

20170905_125246.jpg

20170905_125327.jpg

Plasa

Thank you for your feedback.
Do you know the cfm of the factory fan? By putting 2 (or maybe 4 if there is enough space) you can get up to 8000 cfm. But of course you also need enough current to run them at full speed with idle engine...

Christian

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Only thing you are going to find that is equal to the engine run fan is going to be a turbine electric unit or a hydraulic unit. Turbine electric unit max out around 30in and 10,000cfm. There are some surplus military units that are hydraulic from the HEMTT trucks. They move enough air to make Hurricane Andrew envy them

coachgeo

information is information is information....... if you don't like it... dont view it on facebook. (just a prequel cause someone will complain)

Several large 10,000cfm fans listed in that linked thread as well as comments on a good point of ...with over the counter easy to find elec. fans you could mount 4 elec. fans and be easily pushing enough cfm. This option gives easy repair / replace on the road if one goes out due to over the counter availablity.

Ronmar

The problem with electric fans is that you need to power them... your fan stack could pretty quickly exceed your alt output and still come nowhere near the output of the installed fan.

I did some measurements along those lines and here is what you are up against.

27.5” diameter fan, 10.5” hub.

593.96 sq/in disc area - 86.59 sq/in hub area = 507.37sq/In or 3.52SQ/FT of blade area.

I borrowed a velocitimeter used for A/C and ventilation work to Measure airflow and balance the air handler in my house build. I decided to measure the static velocity of the fan on my 3116. I unplugged the fan valve so its clutch was engaged.

750 RPM = 2100 Feet Per Minute measured X 3.52 SQ/FT = 7392 CFM At idle.

2600 RPM = 7000 FPM measured X 3.52SQ/FT = 24,640 CFM... At full song...

The best thing that can be done for the LMTV is a better shroud. There is a lot of leakage and a huge space around the blade tips so it has a lot of losses...

Plasa

but in this days, also big trucks have electric fans for cooling, or not? how do they solve the problem with high cfm and low current usage?

Hummermark

The problem with electric fans is that you need to power them... your fan stack could pretty quickly exceed your alt output and still come nowhere near the output of the installed fan.

I did some measurements along those lines and here is what you are up against.

27.5” diameter fan, 10.5” hub.

593.96 sq/in disc area - 86.59 sq/in hub area = 507.37sq/In or 3.52SQ/FT of blade area.

I borrowed a velocitimeter used for A/C and ventilation work to Measure airflow and balance the air handler in my house build. I decided to measure the static velocity of the fan on my 3116. I unplugged the fan valve so its clutch was engaged.

750 RPM = 2100 Feet Per Minute measured X 3.52 SQ/FT = 7392 CFM At idle.

2600 RPM = 7000 FPM measured X 3.52SQ/FT = 24,640 CFM... At full song...

The best thing that can be done for the LMTV is a better shroud. There is a lot of leakage and a huge space around the blade tips so it has a lot of losses...
Hi I was trying to find the cfm for a truck as I was looking to see what air I would need to shift for a v6-92t 350 hp in a Sherman which has no ram air effect as radiator is horizontal above engine at the rear .
So from your resaults probably need 2 10k cfm electric fans at 24v would be 120 amp .
Wonder what hp 24,640 cfm is in hp from the engine?
Useful info thanks .

Ronmar

Hi I was trying to find the cfm for a truck as I was looking to see what air I would need to shift for a v6-92t 350 hp in a Sherman which has no ram air effect as radiator is horizontal above engine at the rear .
So from your resaults probably need 2 10k cfm electric fans at 24v would be 120 amp .
Wonder what hp 24,640 cfm is in hp from the engine?
Useful info thanks .
Well this should probably be a separate discussion, but you are comparing apples to oranges. You probably dont need 24,000 CFM, the LMTV may not actually need that much either. what you need to know is the ammount of heat to be dissipated(fuel consumption btu divided by 3) and overall Ufactor of the radiator at a given airflow. There are of course a few other factors but if you need near that much airflow You will be way better served by a engine driven fan...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks