• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Starts Then Stalls Immediately

GTR0419

Hi all. Plugging back in to SS and getting back into my trucks after a long year or so absence. Insanely busy work year.

Anyway, the M1078 was sitting for about a year in the lot at my warehouse. Charged the batteries and it fired right up! WhoooHooo! It idled a little rough, but ran for about a minute. Then it quit. Restarted, but quit again after a few seconds. Maybe 10. Now it restarts, but stalls immediately. Darn!

I know, why did you let it sit so long? Well...we pulled the batteries to move our forklift when its battery died. Then it just became one of those things you keep meaning to do, but put off.

I'm guessing I have a fuel issue from it sitting. Maybe water in the fuel from condensation. Maybe just needs priming, but it did run for a bit at first.

Thought I'd throw this out to the forum for any feedback before I get into it.

Thanks!

coachgeo

I'm with you on issues caused by water in tank.

See if you can plumb in a temporary tank of fuel completely bypassing the stock one. Should use a temporary fuel pump t pull this out of your temporary fuel can. Or have it gravity feed by hanging can up high. Change all the fuel filters. Bleed the filters. See if she now runs. If so you potentially have algae that grew in the water in your fuel tank and it clogged your filters when you first started and ran her. check the old filters for nasty stuff to verify. If they were nasty then Drain the tank... clean it thoroughly and replace.

Another potential is an air leak anywhere before the fuel pump back at tank; though possible, it should not happen easily in this design.

Edited with better info.

Last edited:

GTR0419

So went over and primed the system and...you nailed it with air in the system. There may still be a fuel issue, but when I primed it fuel started leaking from the line between the regulator and the separator. It was also leaking from what I guess is the return line. The cracks / dry rot became immediately noticeable. So, I'll be fabricating some fuel lines. I'm going to go ahead and replace the separator and fuel filter while I'm at it. I would guess the line from the tank to separator isn't great either. I'm a little taken aback at the condition of the fuel lines. this truck was reworked in '08. I've got vehicles a lot older with no fuel line issues. Hm. Any thoughts on dumping some Diesel 911 in the tank?

coachgeo

If it served any time in Desert..... might be that in those conditions these things rot a lot faster than we are accustomed.

Last edited:

Johno176

Actually the fuel is pushed through the filters under pressure. The only vacuum in the system occurs from the fuel pickup in the tank to the fuel pump. Replace all your fuel hoses to be on the safe side.

coachgeo

Actually the fuel is pushed through the filters under pressure. The only vacuum in the system occurs from the fuel pickup in the tank to the fuel pump. Replace all your fuel hoses to be on the safe side.
Yeah... Good to hear someone finally was smart enough to get rid of much of the **** potential for air leaks that exist in diesel rigs. Granted have dealt mostly with older Unimogs, Other MB's, tractors, Generators etc.... so maybe they begun to make this change awhile ago.

Will update my previous post.

GTR0419

That's the plan. I'm replacing all but the vent hose as well as fuel filter and water separator. I would assume changing the filters is a good idea, but if not please let me know. The separator was $50!

Had the hoses made today. More than I expected. $230. I'd do it different next time, but I've got to move this truck. We are no longer leasing the lot where it's parked / stuck. I do have another question though. I had them made at Pirtek (national chain) and they used an over the top hydraulic hose claiming I was the closest thing they had. I just did some online research and hydraulic hose appears to be fine, but I see warnings about only using low pressure hose because the injectors need to be able to "pulse". High strength hoses prevent that because they are so stiff.

Thoughts?

GTR0419

Replaced all three lines. Running like a champ! Let this be a warning to all! Check the fuel lines regularly. It's an easy and quick replacement, but if you were out having fun when one decided to go, it could be a real pain! Thanks coachgeo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks